Puzzling 3G Issue

This is a discussion on Puzzling 3G Issue within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hello all, I've had my nexus one almost a year now, never had a problem with it, until today. I have always been able to ...

Thread: Puzzling 3G Issue

Puzzling 3G Issue

Hello all,

I've had my nexus one almost a year now, never had a problem with it, until today. I have always been able to get 3G everywhere I go, but today, when it tries to switch from Edge to 3G, I see the 3G symbol for half a second and then it disappears along with all my data connectivity.

If I switch to GSM only, I can get Edge no problem, it's only when it tries to switch from Edge to 3G that it completely disappears.

I've tried some fixes that I found by searching on here, but none of them worked, and none of them seemed like the exact problem I have. They all seemed like they were losing data connectivity completely, but I can get Edge which is puzzling me.

Any help at all??

Thanks for your time!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I've actually been having the same exact problem on my nexus s. However, mine only occurs in certain areas which is even weirder. What have you tried to remedy this, maybe something that didn't work for you might work for me?

In your phones dialer keypad, key in *#*#4636#*#*
    Go to phone info, and under the network type, you can force it to 3g only.

If you use cyanogen, you can set up the power settings widget to do the same. Theres also an app on the market for a widget (extra settings, out something like that)

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

There's a free app in the Market called "Antennas". This may give you an idea of the types of signals in your area - an antenna that supports Edge may not support 3G.

I've noticed that the signal strength from my closest local antenna can vary more than 20 db, which suggests that the antenna may be dynamically aimed to meet traffic needs along a nearby beltway. For me, 3G comes and goes.

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    In your phones dialer keypad, key in *#*#4636#*#*
    Go to phone info, and under the network type, you can force it to 3g
    The problem, at least for me seems that its forcing 3g and not allowing edge to kick in where there is no 3g. So where there is no 3g I simply get no data. The 3g icon won't even go away. Only by selecting "allow only 2g" can I get data.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

If you go into the additional settings by dialing *#*#4636#*#* choose WCDMA preferred. This will allow it to switch between 3G & 2G mode depending on what signal is available. I have a similar problem but I suspect its due to the CPU Tuner power management app I installed conflicting with CM7. I find that my phone forces itself to 2G only (GSM only) mode. This interesting issue only started once I installed CyanogenMod 7. If I revert to 6.1.1, the problem goes away. I emailed the Cpu tuner software developer to see if he has a fix. Hopefully he does because the app has significantly extended my battery life.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links