Trackball Notifications dont work!

This is a discussion on Trackball Notifications dont work! within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Being a patient person as i am, i downloaded the Gingerbread update from HERE and installed it on my Nexus One (about a day or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trackball Notifications dont work!

Exclamation Trackball Notifications dont work!

Being a patient person as i am, i downloaded the Gingerbread update from HERE and installed it on my Nexus One (about a day or so ago).

Today im just realizing that my trackball dosent 'Pulse' notify me of any missed calls or messages, i tested this several times in vain. I tried restating the phone, checking and rechecking the "PULSE NOTIFICATION LIGHT" option in the settings, but its still dead.

It does still respond to scrolling on it though, just that it dosen't light up . .. so why?
    Can anyone help, or atleast give me some insight into the situation?
    Thanx

PS: if you havent gathered by now, im not exactly what you might call 'Tech savvy', so please, if there Is a technical solution, explain it to me like im four years old. Thanx again.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Have you tried testing it with an app that will make the trackball light up like meebo when you get an IM or even something that you can control at the touch of a button that would be better I just can't think of anything right now.

See if it lights up if it doesn't then unfortunately this may get a little complicated.

I downloaded an app called 'Color Trackball' from the market, it used to work on Froyo, any other trackball related apps requires me to root my phone, or some custom ROM or. . .something or other which im not too comfortable with nor understand fully.

The thing gnawing at me is if its a general Gingerbread bug on nexus ones, which i can live with
    OR if its that particular 'update.zip' file i downloaded
    OR if it is actually my phone fault, which i highly doubt since it Was working till before the update.

Two apps to try: LED Tester (though you don't really need it with the other)

and Light Flow, by Rage Consulting. Light Flow was written by one of our members, and provides many different colors of notifications, and you decide what color for what app. It also covers a wide variety of apps that use notifications, and contains it's own self tester for each color available. I'm also using it on the Atrix, though it was written specifically for the N1. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    Two apps to try: LED Tester (though you don't really need it with the other)

and Light Flow, by Rage Consulting. Light Flow was written by one of our members, and provides many different colors of notifications, and you decide what color for what app. It also covers a wide variety of apps that use notifications, and contains it's own self tester for each color available. I'm also using it on the Atrix, though it was written specifically for the N1. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Hey thank you,

Installed it, the self tester doesn't work for some reason, so i gave it a practical test n miss called myself, n it works
    Thats good, but i still cant shake the feeling that there something else wrong here, right?
    Id still like to know if im the only gingerbread user on an N1 who has this problem!

About the app: Its great, its one of those apps that makes you wish you had it sooner satisfyingly customizable within the lite version. Two things i'd like to know though are, if it takes a toll on the battery outside of average
    and it says it has access to my messages, calls, contacts and so on, i assume its how the app knows i have a call or a message. . . or should i be concerned? lol

No reason for concern at all...it has to have that access to provide the notifications. you can disable it for any app you don't want it to see, or don't use.

It works fine on GB for me, though the author did say there were a few things that he'd need to update...though there was an update tonite that may have fixed those. I'm not sure how else to check your trackball, but you might try that LED Tester I mentioned earlier...

Edit: Here's the link to the announcement thread the author posted here: http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...uccession.html

Figured so, i think ill keep it all the same

I tried the LED Tester, Ditto. . . nothing happens, well the good thing is, now we know its not the LEDs fault because it works, all thats left to know if its the Update it selves fault or with the file i downloaded.

Thanx for the link

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Blu View Post

I tried the LED Tester, Ditto. . . nothing happens, well the good thing is, now we know its not the LEDs fault because it works, all thats left to know if its the Update it selves fault or with the file i downloaded.

Thanx for the link
    It's not your download, it seems to be common for most people. I think google have stuffed something up in the gingerbread release.

Thanks all for the positive comments about Light Flow. Light Flow has very little impact on your battery - it's one thing I've been really keen to keep to a minimum and there's features I would add if they didn't kill the battery.

On the permissions, yes that are all needed to gain access to check for notifications, but we don't read any information other than "read status" and "notification status". The app doesn't need internet access and can't write e-mails, sms, make calls etc so there's nothing that could be done with the data anyway!

I've spent about 6 hours so far with the development tools trying to pin down the reasoning behind some notifications working and others not in gingerbread.
    I'm just glad the main bit of the app works and that it's not the other way around.

I thinking of rewriting the test section to tap into the services directly that the app uses to see if that helps with the current issue.

Any more questions, just ask.
    Cheers
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Blu View Post

Thanx for the link
    I used to use LED Tester for coming up with the colors in light flow and I know that doesn't work for me also now.
    Still I plan to add custom colors to Light Flow in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpmoore View Post
    It's not your download, it seems to be common for most people. I think google have stuffed something up in the gingerbread release /.............../
    I thinking of rewriting the test section to tap into the services directly that the app uses to see if that helps with the current issue.

Any more questions, just ask.
    Cheers
    Andrew

Aaah, thats a relief, well kind of, to know this isnt an isolated issue, maybe they'll release a patch or something, one can hope lol

As for the app, it works like a charm good to know your focused on making it so too, keep up the excellent work, and best of luck to ya

I have a tiny suggestion and a bug to report, ill leave it on your post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links