Help updating to 2.3.3

This is a discussion on Help updating to 2.3.3 within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hey everyone, I'd like to update to Gingerbread through manual update (since my phone says "your phone is currently up to date" in system updates). ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help updating to 2.3.3

Help updating to 2.3.3

Hey everyone,

I'd like to update to Gingerbread through manual update (since my phone says "your phone is currently up to date" in system updates). However, I've hit some snags.

I'm currently on 2.2 (FRG33). My bootloader is unlocked. I'm not rooted. I tried downloading the Gingerbread update and tried to install it via recovery menu, but it didn't work. Then I heard somewhere that you need to be on 2.2.2 to get up to 2.3.3, so I tried to update to 2.2.2. Didn't work either. Then, I figured maybe I'd need to be on 2.2.1 beforehand - so, I tried to do that (downloading the file and trying to install via recovery menu also) and that didn't work either.

I feel like I've tried everything. What is my next step? My Nexus won't let me update to 2.2.1, through system updates in the options menu or through manual installation. I'm confused. Any help?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

My suggestion would be to flash a custom recovery through fastboot, and use the recovery to install a rooted version of GB...

If you wanna go pure stock, you can also do that...

Let me know what you wanna do, and I'll walk you through it...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Thanks for your respone, danger-rat. Which one do you think would be better, and/or less problematic? The forum seems to be littered with poor souls who've had tragedies happen to their phone since installing GB..I don't want to end up with a paperweight!

Both options are easy...

If you go with a stock ROM, you get automatic updates from Google, and don't have to install them yourself.

If you go with a rooted option, you can install anything you want, but it's up to you to keep everything up to date (you will have to manually install updates if you want to stay rooted).

Since your bootloader is unlocked, it's easy to switch between the two, whenever you want...

I think for now I will go with stock, especially if I can just switch to custom down the line. Hopefully my phone will start notifying me of updates when I get up to GB; like I said in my original post, even though my phone is at 2.2, it says I'm up to date in the system updates menu. Weird.

So how do I get started? Also, is installing GB a dangerous operation? There seems to be some dead phone as a result..

Which carrier do you have?

I'm with Fido, my phone is unlocked and bought from the states.

OK, I'm just uploading the update files. Well need to update in stages from FRG33 to FRG83, to 83D, to 83G, and finally GRI40.

It's a bit long winded, but this way you will keep your data and settings...

Can you download MyBackup from the market, and backup as much as possible while I upload the files?

Will do. Thanks a whole bunch!

OK, here's the first file...
    http://db.tt/kum4S5D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links