Gingerbread keyboard locking issues

This is a discussion on Gingerbread keyboard locking issues within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hey all, I've done some searching and can't seem to find anybody with the same issue as me (some similar). In any case, I have ...

Thread: Gingerbread keyboard locking issues

Gingerbread keyboard locking issues

Hey all, I've done some searching and can't seem to find anybody with the same issue as me (some similar). In any case, I have an N1 running gingerbread 2.3.3 build GRI40. Everything is stock I've never rooted my phone. I also did a factory reset right after I got gingerbread since I dropped the phone and had to send it in for a screen repair. Anyway, ever since gingerbread I've had to reboot my phone at least once a day in order to get the screen/keyboard working correctly again. Often I will get the following:

• After unlocking the phone the screen will be blank, the background is visible but no screen icons or app drawer or anything. Usually hitting the power button and unlocking a 2nd time fixes this.
    • When typing using the keyboard no text will show up. The cursor is in the text box and actually text IS being typed but you can't see anything and the cursor doesn't move. I know the text is still typing because if I'm typing a text I can type and hit send and then I will see what I typed (usually wrong since I can't see it ). The only way I've found to fix this is to shut the phone down and turn it back on again.

At first I thought it was due to me dropping the phone but my wife, who has the same phone, is experiencing the exact same issues as me. Is anybody else experiencing this? I'm guessing the two options are to wait for a patch or downgrade. My concern is that since I haven't really seen anybody else with this issue yet it might not be on Google's radar to be fixed in a patch. Just wanted to get people's thoughts. Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I think a few others are also having this issue, as I read about it on Google phone forum by user Лойк

I've experienced it a couple of times, but it's not often at all. If I type and nothing happens, I usually stop typing a wait a few seconds, then the text appears that I've typed and I continue writing. Once, my messaging app crashed.

You could try a couple of things to try and find the root cause:

1. Install a different keyboard (like Swiftkey or Swype), once installed, hold down in an area you would normally type and a box will appear saying 'Input method', then you can select the new keyboard and see if the issue still appears.

2. Install a different messaging app if it only occurs when writing SMS
    Nothing is perfect, but we must not lose faith in perfection. If we did, everything would be a whole lot worse than it is now!

I experienced it couple of times, it seems to be related to screen reactivity (i feel GB is more reactive than froyo) and smudges on the screen. I keep the screen cleaner and the issues stopped. But thats my experience. But I know that, with these phones, there is much different experiences.

Posted from my sweet Nexus One on GB via Hit'n'Yak

I agree that GB does seems much more sensitive than froyo did. I'm pretty obsessive with keeping it wiped off since I don't like the smear marks but I will try that next time it locks up.

Also, I'm going to take a different route to testing this before trying to install another keyboard. I'm going to try to tinker with the various keyboard settings when it happens again in case something like spell check or pop-up keys are causing it. If I still can't find it I'll try the other keyboard. I'll report back.

My autocorrect is off, so annoying lol

Posted from my sweet Nexus One on GB via Hit'n'Yak

It really stinks when it locks up. It happened to me while driving. I was trying to get the voice recognition to work and it locked up on me. Guess even that isn't real safe when you're driving.

Ok from what I can tell thisis only happening while in the messaging app, everything else is still OK. Just for kicks I tried turning off all they keyboard features like key popular etc just to see if that had an impact once it locked up but it didn't.

Going to try a different messaging client and keyboard to see if those help

I downloaded handcent SMS client and tried that and the keyboard worked fine. I flipped over to the stock client and they keyboard still locked on me and I couldn't see what I was typing. So it definitely appears to be the SMS client in gb that is the issue

depends on the device, cuz it doesnt happen to me anymore.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links