N1 Won't Connect to Wifi at Home

This is a discussion on N1 Won't Connect to Wifi at Home within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hello, Everyone: I've had the N1 for several months now, and it pains me to say that it has not been a generally positive experience. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N1 Won't Connect to Wifi at Home

Angry N1 Won't Connect to Wifi at Home

Hello, Everyone:

I've had the N1 for several months now, and it pains me to say that it has not been a generally positive experience. The problems all seem to be related to connectivity, or lack thereof.

I enable data only when leaving the house, since without checking email or doing anything else online, my 200mb data limit is reached merely by syncing. So it isn't really a data phone for me. But when I'm at home I expect the thing to connect to my router, just like my netbook and iPod Touch do, without a problem.

Right now I'm watching the phone go through the endless cycle of "Wifi..connecting," followed by "Wifi...disconnected," while my network sits there in the list. When I touch the network and choose "Connect," the cycle just keeps going.

Anyone know how to get the thing connected to home wifi and keep it there? Remember that I can't download any apps for it, since I can't bloody-well get online.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

try the app wifi fixer from the market, see it helps you out. Try to log to another wifi hot spot (libraries, schools or coffee shops) If still not working, I would send it in for a replacement for defective wifi.

getting off the videotron's tweaked rom may be of help too since I experienced it to be less effective than official stock google rom. you can easily flash a stock google rom on it without voiding the warranty.

Thanks, I'll try that app. And yes, I've been wondering about rooting my phone, but I have no idea what Videotron would have to say about that. I'm waiting for the upgraded operating system that I believe came out in February, and I was afraid that rooting might void any upgrade that's to come through Videotron.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory9 View Post
    Thanks, I'll try that app. And yes, I've been wondering about rooting my phone, but I have no idea what Videotron would have to say about that. I'm waiting for the upgraded operating system that I believe came out in February, and I was afraid that rooting might void any upgrade that's to come through Videotron.
    rooting without unlocking bootloader wont affect the warranty. And flashing a google stock rom doesnt require root or unlocking bootloader. Videotron doesnt care if the phone is rooted or if you flashed a stock rom. As long as the bootlaoder is still locked.

I'm with videotron and I have flashed a GingerBread stock rom over a month ago. Works fine (with better reception from network compared to videotron's tweaked rom). If you wait for the videotron's update, you'll still be stuck with a tweaked videotron rom. With stock rom, you'll get the updates directly from google when available. Your phone will thank you.

I personally sent 2 rooted phones (locked bootloader, both with other roms than the videotron's rom) back for exchange cuz they were defective. No problemo.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by iPeck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory9 View Post
    rooting without unlocking bootloader wont affect the warranty. And flashing a google stock rom doesnt require root or unlocking bootloader. Videotron doesnt care if the phone is rooted or if you flashed a stock rom. As long as the bootlaoder is still locked.

I'm with videotron and I have flashed a GingerBread stock rom over a month ago. Works fine (with better reception from network compared to videotron's tweaked rom). If you wait for the videotron's update, you'll still be stuck with a tweaked videotron rom. With stock rom, you'll get the updates directly from google when available. Your phone will thank you.

I personally sent 2 rooted phones (locked bootloader, both with other roms than the videotron's rom) back for exchange cuz they were defective. No problemo.
    iPeck, How one can find out if his/her Nexus one is rooted has a flashed Rom or the bootloader is locked or unlocked?

Sorry if i hijacked the thread!

First off if you got the phone new then by default it has none of these things.

Rooted: The simplest way is to download terminal emulator and to type in the command "su" (no quotes) and if the little "$" prompt becomes a "#" (probably after being prompted by the super user app) then you are rooted.

Flashed ROM: just go to settings -> about phone-> and check the last point it is build number if the build number is frg83 of GRI40 or frf91 or something along those lines then it is stock if it is a bunch of jumbled up numbers and letters then it's the videotron ROM.

Bootloader is unlocked: Just restart your phone and if you see a little unlocked lock on the :nexusx: screen then your bootloader is unlocked.

FWIW, pre-Gingerbread I found the wifi connections with my N1 to be problematic. Some routers would work all the time, and some, often 802.11n, were troublesome. Now, with GB, I have no wifi issues, although others remain.

200MB for just syncing? You might want to look at which apps are causing this. It's often media like graphics or sound. For instance, if you get a lot of email with attached graphics, you can disable the automatic download of graphics (via Gmail), making it a optional manual but less data intensive process.

IMO, rooting requires dedication and expertise. It may be rewarding, but is not for the faint of heart.

I finally just went with the factory reset to get the wifi working again. I've become resigned to resetting every week or so to solve some mysterious problem or other with the phone, always related to connectivity. Perhaps rooting or flashing or any of the other unknown verbs I hear about in relation to this phone would help, but that's something I'll have to study up on. I'm stuck with this phone for the next 2.8 years, so I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks for the various suggestions here.

you wont screw up the phone just by flashing a rom. and its so easy to do.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by iPeck View Post
    you wont screw up the phone just by flashing a rom. and its so easy to do.

Is there step by step idiot proof guide somewhere in this forum (for Newbies like me) on how to root, unlock, flash ROM on Nexus One with all necessary files/drivers apps...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links