Low Space / Memory even after a hard reset

This is a discussion on Low Space / Memory even after a hard reset within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; You could try and do the passimg restore, but I'm not sure it will work... Give it a try first, and if it doesn't work, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Space / Memory even after a hard reset

You could try and do the passimg restore, but I'm not sure it will work...

Give it a try first, and if it doesn't work, then you're probably gonna have to hook up to a computer and try and fix any disk errors...

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    You could try and do the passimg restore, but I'm not sure it will work...

Give it a try first, and if it doesn't work, then you're probably gonna have to hook up to a computer and try and fix any disk errors...
    Can you shed some light of what needs to be done? I'm assuming I can do this only in Linux?

You can run Linux from a live CD on a windows machine. Go look at Ubuntu.com for details...

To mount your phone to Ubuntu you have to set upa few files:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=640158

In Ubuntu/Linux you should be able to run either gparted our the native Disk Manager to perform a health check. I've never done this on the phone, but I have done it on other devices - the only challenge with the phone may be mounting the /data partition...

You can run Linux from a live CD on a windows machine. Go look at Ubuntu.com for details...

To mount your phone to Ubuntu you have to set upa few files:
    Ubuntu No devices permission - xda-developers

In Ubuntu/Linux you should be able to run either gparted our the native Disk Manager to perform a health check. I've never done this on the phone, but I have done it on other devices - the only challenge with the phone may be mounting the /data partition...
    I was able to run Ubuntu and get my Nexus One recognized by it. How do I fix the nexus one /data partition from Ubuntu? I'm assuming I would need to mount it.

I'm able to mount the /sd partition but can't see the other partitions. GParted only sees the SD partition as well when its attached with USB Storage turned on.

I would try mounting it via adb from Ubuntu, and then see if the Ubuntu system can see it...

I don't have my Ubuntu box with me at the moment, so I can play with it to test. Might get chance later today...

I would try mounting it via adb from Ubuntu, and then see if the Ubuntu system can see it...

I don't have my Ubuntu box with me at the moment, so I can play with it to test. Might get chance later today...
    I can get adb to see it and can even launch a shell. But I'm not sure how to mount it to my local system. The Nexus One shows up as a /dev/sdd device

Did you make the udev rules changes, per the link I posted?

If you have Root Explorer installed, you could try using that to mount the /data as writable...?

Did you make the udev rules changes, per the link I posted?

If you have Root Explorer installed, you could try using that to mount the /data as writable...?
    yes i tried the udev rules. Ubuntu detects my device and I can run adb

I had similar issues with low memory on the Nexus One, especially since the OTA update to Gingerbread 2.3.4

Constant 'low memory' warnings would occur resulting in GMail syncing to cease and App updating to fail. Memory would often drop to as low as 17 Mb and one would have to make more and more difficult decisions deciding what apps to delete. Not that even apps on the SD card store some data on the phone itself. Even killing off Angry Birds from the SD card thus helped grab some memory back. But the situation did not last long and soon one was dropping below the 20 Mb cut-off point where the low-memory warning icon returns.

Finally I made the bold decision to do a complete wipe of the phone. All apps, even those on the SD card were wiped though not other data such as pics etc, so the wallpaper of a stored picture remained after rebooting!

Despite the claims that apps should return to the device automatically, they did not. I had however made a list of everything previously installed and done screenshots so as to return the phone to its previous state.

The result... more than 15 Mb extra memory, up from 17 Mb free to 33 Mb free. Even with several updates and a few weeks use, the situation remains relatively stable.

However it must be said that given the expense of the Nexus One and even other Android devices, the lack of memory is a major failure.

The Nexus S is a step forward in regards of extra onboard memory, but with no SD card it's a step back too. One wonders if the Nexus Prime will address these major issues concerning memory

Quote Originally Posted by daftsynth View Post
    The numbers are total size, used, available...

It looks like you are using a lot of your data partition, or at least your phone thinks you are...

Are you rooted, our is this a stock phone?
    I believe so. I am rooted. The ROM is Gingerbread 2.3.4. I just wiped out all data, cache, and reset the phone. This is what df displays
    # df
    df
    Filesystem Size Used Free Blksize
    /dev 192M 32K 192M 4096
    /mnt/asec 192M 0K 192M 4096
    /mnt/obb 192M 0K 192M 4096
    /system 145M 128M 16M 4096
    /data 196M 183M 12M 4096
    /cache 95M 2M 92M 4096
    /mnt/sdcard 1G 536K 1G 4096
    /mnt/secure/asec 1G 536K 1G 4096

How do I clear it out?
    I'm having a lot of memory problem. But there is one thing I've learnt. If you are using push-mail ( i mean if you are using Microsoft Outlook and also Outlook on the Webmail) then you have a lot of messages both in your phone and on your computer MSOutlook and also Outlook Webmail.
    Delete these from you phone (you can keep them on the computer) and some memory will return.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links