Rooted phone OS Update Failure

This is a discussion on Rooted phone OS Update Failure within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by leodude Trying to do passimg. I was with you up to "you should wait a second for the SD card to mount ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooted phone OS Update Failure

Quote Originally Posted by leodude View Post
    Trying to do passimg. I was with you up to "you should wait a second for the SD card to mount then you will be prompted to flash the passimg file accept and wait for the file to flash." I waited 45 seconds but there was no prompt.
    History: Running 2.3.4 stock. Wanted to root. Downloaded all android sdk. Used fastboot to unlock. Then ran ’1.1-nexusone-superboot’ to root and phone hangs. I can reboot into bootloader, but trying to load a saved update.zip starts but has and error at E; (and then I don't remember because to foolishly did not write it down). As noted above, passimg just sits there.
    In my researching I've seen lots of help given by you danger (or is it Mr. Rat?). You you think you can help me??
    Thanks,
    Leo (leodude)
    Is your bootloader unlocked now - I'm guessing you succeeded at that step?

If your bootloader is unlocked, try using fastboot to install a custom recovery:
    fastboot flash recovery name-of-recovery.img

If that works, see if you can boot into recovery:
    fastboot boot name-of-recovery.img

"name-of-recovery" should be replaced with the actual name of the file that you have...

Quote Originally Posted by mdculpepper View Post
    After several attempts using various downloaded files I had success with this one:
    frg83 (this is the file to fix the "main version is older" issue):http://tinyurl.com/6bym3vg .
    It put me back to 2.2.1.
    After I did, about 30 minutes later, the update for 2.3.4 was pushed to my phone and, much to my joy, my phone automatically updated itself. :-)

My phone is still rooted but it has the latest OS on it which was always my main goal.

I was an early adopter of the Nexus One having ordered it as soon as it was available online.

I travel internationally a lot for my job and need two phones.
    One with a USA SIM chip and one with a local SIM chip.
    I like the Nexus One so much that recently I decided to buy a second Nexus One to use as my “international” phone.
    I purchased the rooted phone because it was the only one available at the time.
    I had no idea what “Root” was but was told by the eBay seller that it meant I had to install any OS updates myself.
    No problem I thought, until I actually had to do it.
    It was not a simple task, but thanks to this site I got it done.

I don't really know what the advantage it of becoming a “flasher” or “hacker” is or what program language I need to know to do it (Linux?).
    Maybe there's a place I can go to read up on the process?

But if I was to get try, I first would want a program to make an Image of my phone so I would always have a working copy to fall back on.
    I do need the Rooted phone when I travel and would not want to be without it because I “flashed” it improperly and had to start from scratch again.

Thanks to everyone's help!
    I have a up to date, working phone!
    If you have a custom recovery like Amon_Ra, you can do full image backups. Without that I find MyBackUp Pro very good. I find being able to do full images the biggest feature on rooting and putting a custom recovery on phone. Besides that, the N1 has about all it can handle and nothing real new coming down the pike. The newer phones now have what the N1 had ahead of a lot of other users initially. But, as you said, still a great phone and not many if any have enough WOW factor to change atm. Maybe when the quad's and 2ghz ones are out.

Lot's of flashing info in Forum wiki's and plenty of people here to help.

Enjoy,

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Yes. I'm unlocked. Tried loading the "solves the older problem" image and it hung doing that.
    Off to work now. I'll try again in a few hours. Many thanks. It's good to be hopeful!!!

Okay. So I had tried downloading PASSIMG_Passion_Google_WWE_2.18.1700.1_FRG83_relea se_signed
    before and renaming it PASSIMG. But the phone hung and I don't remember the error message. This time I left the full title, went into bootloader and then recovery. Again it started and then quickly hung at:
    Install /sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E: signature verification failed
    Installation aborted

Oops!! I'll try loading the one renamed only passimg and see what happens.

Tried the one named only passimg and got the same error/hang. Makes sense as it is the same file. Now I'll look for a different recovery file. BTW, these are all zip files. Correct extension, right?
    Thanks.
    Leo

haven't read all posts closely, but you need to turn off signature verification in recovery before flashing
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Makes sense to turn off sig verification, but how do I do that? Under recovery I have the options of:

Reboot system now
    Apply sdcard:update.zip
    Wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition

Then under apply sdcard I have:

Choose a package to install:
    /sdcard

../
    [the package to install]
    playlists/
    other directories

If I select the package it runs, looks for sig, and stops.

what recovery are you using

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

doesn't sound like you have amon_ra and if clockwork, I thought sig was off by default. but, diff versions may be diff

you may have a bad download--did you check md5

if on rom mananger, you could flash amon_ra 2.2.1 thru it and boot into amon recovery and it has sig off option after you select "Flash zip from SD Card". It reads "Toggle signature verification"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

In a post from January a fellow with a similar problem solved it by erasing cache and erasing userdata. I could try that, but would like some opinions/advice about taking that step before I erase a lot of stuff.
    Thanks!
    Leo

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links