Rooted phone OS Update Failure

This is a discussion on Rooted phone OS Update Failure within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Root basically means that you have the su binary installed (and busybox). Those files come pre-installed with pretty much every custom ROM, so yes, he ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Rooted phone OS Update Failure

Root basically means that you have the su binary installed (and busybox). Those files come pre-installed with pretty much every custom ROM, so yes, he will have root if he installs CM. However, if he wants automatic updates, then CM probably isn't the way to go...

(Leo - sorry for talking about you... xD)

My opinion: Automatic updates are over rated, and CM provides more functionality - Go with CM. Wipe and flash the CM zip, and gapps...

Re Nanadroid: If you have a working recovery you can make a nandroid. Not sure what the point would be, since nandroid backs up the current ROM, which in this case doesn't appear to be working too well...

my thoughts exactly on the nandroid

Link to Cyanogen: [NIGHTLY][ROM] [GRJ22] CyanogenMod 7 for vendor Passion (HTC Nexus One) - xda-developers op page well--you need to dl to sdcard or pc and sdcard the latest nightly under Downloads and the 20110507 gapps. You also to help with internal memory get Dark Tremor here--http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715940
    Get the lates non beta and also get to sdcard diectly or thru pc--look over the OP page on how to flash and run this

If you have all 3 you flash rom then gapps then DT--once all flashed reboot to recovery and maybe run gmail wifi etc then maybe reboot to set memory. You will probably need to go to market and get Titanium Back up and Terminal Emulator. With Term you can run the DT commands to move apps to sd ext if you have one.

If you want to go slower, just get the 2 zips on phone with a few basic apps for now and hold on DT.

Under phone settings and I am not on Cyanogen now to help find--you need to make sure debugging is always on and app storage is set to internal.

After initial setup you can do a back up--if you want DT and an ext we can go thru that too

Gotta run for a bit--birthday cake time for youngest son--he's 30 today

Lot's of fun once rooted and running custom roms
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

In preparation for Mr. Rat's imprimatur, I have downloaded Cyanogen Mod 7 for the Nexus One :: V7.0.3 and Google apps.
    How would I go about flashing them? My bet is put them on SDCard, (maybe one at a time) then flash from recovery using the "Flash zip from sdcard option"

I gather that automatically roots me. Phone will start up and update. Then I can use/setup ROM Manager. Yes???

Lotsa good stuff. (Forum didn't turn to new posts so I was just waiting.)

Let's see if I've got it. Skip ROM manager for auto updates. It is worth having? I already bought the paid version in anticipation. NO big deal.

Put Mod, then apps sequentially on card and load each using the RA Recovery screen. I can't get into settings now, but when I can have debugging on and app storage set to internal. Question about that. I've been putting as many aps as would allow onto SD card. I often get out of space warnings anyway. Can I put some on sdcard and run from there? Oh wait, I see. Term emul will let me do that eventually.
    I don't understand "reboot to recovery and maybe run gmail wifi " those are different, right? I won't RUN anything from recovery. Doing several recoveries "sets" the system I gather.
    Once stable, add DT and link to Cyanogen.
    Phew!
    Okay, here we go!! Hey, warm happy birthday wishes to your son. Having a dad like you is the best present of all!!!

Thanks Leo,

I lost my post I just started, so will just go to immediate steps. Ooops, no need for Rom Manager anymore. I have paid version too, but not using atm. I just go to rom sites and directly dl. Put the 2 zips you dl'd on sdcard where you can find them. While in recovery you want to first wipe data/factory reset 3x and dalvik cache 3x. you can also do battery and rotation settings.

There is another zip you will need eventually if you start flashing and that is this one--http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=723844&page=1767

It wipes system that amon won't do. The regular flashing of a rom doesn't totally wipe system and leaves things behind that will mess things up eventually. Don't worry about it now.

One nice thing on Amon after you select to do something, you have to OK it at bottom of screen. Clockwork didn't use to have that safety feature. Maybe it does now.

Once you have wiped everything go back to flash zip from sd card then toggle off sig on next screen. Then above that I think it says find zip on sdcard or something like that. Select that and go find your dl's either on the root of sdcard or wherever you put them. Select the 7.1 rom first then flash gapps right after. No reboot in between. The vol- button goes back a screen. When both have flashed go back to main screen and select reboot system. It may take several minutes. If it hangs for more than 10 minutes pull battery and reinsert and pwr on. I don't know what radio you have and that may need updated at some point.

If you get the new rom on phone, then reboot back into recovery and do a backup. A good app when you get time is Quick Boot--like a shortcut button.

At some point we will want Dark Tremor/Titanium BackUp/Terminal Emulator apps.

Give it a shot--
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Well, I'm kinda into it and I didn't do the wipes. Is that a problem?
    I say kinda as C Mod is up and running, GAAPS loaded, but once in setup and restoring stuff from cloud it is VERY slow. Like 20 min with nothing. So I closed it. It was using that SDcard that wasn't the one I had in the phone when it crashed, so I was gonna put that one in and try again.
    I'm assuming that now isn't when I do a wipe. Maybe I get it set up, do a backup, do a google backup, and then whip everything and restore. Yes, no?? I guess I oughta do a backup using restore now. Can't have too many backups.
    ext for moving stuff to sdcard it something I'd like to do sooner rather than later. Then memory management like Dark Tremor.
    Frankly, I'll have enough going on with just the new mod that I probably won't be updating for a bit.
    Birthday cake good?
    Thanks so much for your help!!!

EEAK!! I also rebooted between Mod & GApps. I guess I shoulda waited.
    So far, no harm seems to be done. But if necessary I could wipe everything now, put in the real sdcard with both mod & gapps on it and start again.
    Necessary?
    Leo

Cake good. It's all downhill from here--just improving and fine tuning

Couple tips if you don't follow--lots of pain

Always wipe system (get the zip I linked above-it is Temasek's System Wipe-you just flash it from recovery like the ones you just did and it wipes system) and Data/Factory Reset and Dalvik Cache several times before flashing new rom. Wipe only Dalvik Cache and Cache when updating rom.

Always have a recent backup of phone and sdcard

If you want to get Dark Tremor-go to the link and do some reading, including the Commands. Get the non-beta one.

You will need to back up sdcard--format with sdformatter from web. Use full erase on and size adj on. Then put card back in phone and repartition with amon to ext 2 1gb/0 swap, then go back and partition to ext 3. Then reload card.

You then per the DT OP page instructions flash DT from recovery like the Cyan rom. Reboot, then using Terminal Emulator from market, run the 5 commands.

Do this:

Open TE
    At $ sign type SU if pound sign comes up--you are rooted
    At #sign type

a2sd check (enter)
    a2sd reinstall (enter) (phone will/should reboot)

then

a2sd zipalign (enter)
    a2sd noswap (enter)
    a2sd cachesd (enter) (moves dalvikcache to ext)

phone will reboot, may take awhile

if all goes well another backup would be in order

you now should have more internal memory

if you flash updates to Cyanogen, you have to reflash DT, so leave on card

If you get that far, we can go to Titanium BackUp and some other helpful apps like Quick System and MyBackUp Pro

By now you may be spinning

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

No harm-you just won't have gapps til you flash it--no need to wipe

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Will be calling it a nite soon Leo and not back til tomorrow pm

Others here like DR may be available--I don't know everyone's time zone atm

Flashing has its ups and downs but mostly ups--lots of nice features over stock--the backups are crucial

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links