Shrinking Memory on N1

This is a discussion on Shrinking Memory on N1 within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I'm getting kind of frustrated lately. It seems that no matter how many apps I delete (down to near bare bones at this point), I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrinking Memory on N1

Shrinking Memory on N1

I'm getting kind of frustrated lately. It seems that no matter how many apps I delete (down to near bare bones at this point), I continue to get "low memory" messages. The last time I did some deleting, I ended up with 27MB free...that was about a month ago.

Today, I'm showing 18MB free, and I haven't added anything except one wallpaper! I've restarted the phone, and did a battery pull and discharge (by holding down the power button while batt is out), and the free memory doesn't change.

I used to have a BUNCH more apps on this device, and thankfully I have the Atrix, with it's much greater storage. But I'm getting frustrated that I have to keep deleting stuff; and I can't figure out what's going on.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

You get residual garbage from apps and data - I believe they call it orphaned data. It will build up over time. Unfortunately, the only fix I know is a full wipe, or there are root options available...

You may be able to delete stuff via adb, but unfortunately you don't have read access to /data, so you would have to guess at what to delete...

I'll have a look around, and see if there's an app for that...

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    You get residual garbage from apps and data - I believe they call it orphaned data. It will build up over time. Unfortunately, the only fix I know is a full wipe, or there are root options available...

You may be able to delete stuff via adb, but unfortunately you don't have read access to /data, so you would have to guess at what to delete...

I'll have a look around, and see if there's an app for that...
    I have the same problem. I saw something called SystemAppRemover.zip file on xda by teamsk but I really don't know how to use it. But I've heard it helped clear a lot of memory for people.
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Downloading that app now, danger. I did run a cache clear from App2SD Pro though, and it didn't make a bit of difference. We'll see what this does. I might be willing to wipe it, since I have so little left on it already...

EDIT: That freed up about 1.1MB, but only after I deleted another app or 2. Now I'm showing 21MB free. Guess I'll have to wipe and start again. Might not be so bad, really. I did it on the Atrix once, too, and it had a LOT more to replace/rebuild.

@iPS - /system and /data are two separate partitions, and clearing space on /system will not gain any extra space for apps on /data. You would also need root to flash it...

Anyway, if its the app i'm thinking of, it completely wipes (actually formats) the system partition - which is useful when switching between ROMs, etc, but not much help in this case...

Perhaps its time to Root?
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Already rooted...or maybe you meant WERA. Damn boy, you're still not rooted??
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Nope. Been fighting the powa for a long time now :D Maybe it IS time. Warranty is gone, upgrade is due, Prime is coming. Hmmmm....

Where is Aseems when you need him?! Lol
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads