USB port is fried. Anyone else have this prob?

This is a discussion on USB port is fried. Anyone else have this prob? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; My USB port's been fried for a while, so I've had to resort to charging the battery via an external charger... which itself is a ...

Thread: USB port is fried. Anyone else have this prob?

USB port is fried. Anyone else have this prob?

My USB port's been fried for a while, so I've had to resort to charging the battery via an external charger... which itself is a pain b/c every time I switch the batter, I need to set the time again.

Called HTC today, and they couldn't really give me a straight answer, so I thought I would ask if any of you knew the answers to my questions:

1) is it normal for the clock to reset every time you replace a battery?
    2) more importantly, has anyone else had a broken (micro) usb port? and if so, how much did it cost to repair it? HTC is saying that it could cost between $57 - $195. For $195 I can just get another phone...

Not trying to be cheap, but if I send it in, and choose not to spend $195 on a repair, I'm still out $30 (for their services) + cost of a used phone. Sooo I'm hoping someone on here has some insightful info..

Thanks in advance!
    R

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

1) No I don't think this is normal as far as I know when you take out the battery the clock stays the same and there are no settings saved in the battery so changing it shouldn't change anything. Note that I may be wrong but it sounds illogical to me.

2) I have never had the usb port replaced so I don't know how much it is going to cost but I can tell you the reason they say it will cost between 55$ and 195$ (it used to be 55$ I guess they changed it or the rep didn't know what he was talking about) it's because from on the phone they don't know what is wrong so they just tell you the maximum and minimum price that it is possible for it to cost. For a usb port I don't think it will be all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    1) No I don't think this is normal as far as I know when you take out the battery the clock stays the same and there are no settings saved in the battery so changing it shouldn't change anything. Note that I may be wrong but it sounds illogical to me.

2) I have never had the usb port replaced so I don't know how much it is going to cost but I can tell you the reason they say it will cost between 55$ and 195$ (it used to be 55$ I guess they changed it or the rep didn't know what he was talking about) it's because from on the phone they don't know what is wrong so they just tell you the maximum and minimum price that it is possible for it to cost. For a usb port I don't think it will be all that much.
    Yeah, the problem I've noticed with HTC is that their tech support always refers you to the repair department, and the repair dept refers you back to tech support. The first time I called them about this, the lady kept saying "Sir the USB cord is not under warranty" ... even though I kept telling her "USB P.O.R.T. as in the CONNECTOR" .... the guy who I spoke to today said he didn't know where the USB port was located on the phone. WTF???

Anyway, I just secured a used N1 for $150, in near mint condition, so I think I'll just pass on getting it fixed... i mean especially if their repair dept doesn't know what the hell they're talking about...LOL.

And I'm thinking that their may be other problems outside of the USB port being busted if the clock keeps resetting.

Thanks for your feedback, btw. Appreciate it.

=)
    R

Yeah well unfortunately htc have been none to do that. When you're dealing with them either you get a good rep and your treated very well or you get a crappy rep and it's a load of trouble to get your repair done. Problem is you can't control which one you get :/

Glad you got another phone, but the time should reset automatically based on a signal your carrier sends out. Mine will even change time zones when called for, with no input from me.

Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    Glad you got another phone, but the time should reset automatically based on a signal your carrier sends out. Mine will even change time zones when called for, with no input from me.
    I think that only works if you select that option in settings. Which I can do, but I didn't think the time would reset simply b/c i switched out the battery...

I've had issues getting any adapter to stay plugged into my usb port. It hasn't died yet but anything I plug in just falls out. I have to weigh down the cord to get my phone charged at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Luq07 View Post
    I've had issues getting any adapter to stay plugged into my usb port. It hasn't died yet but anything I plug in just falls out. I have to weigh down the cord to get my phone charged at night.

Yeah I can see that happening. My USB port on my original N1 (the one I was griping about) was pretty loosey goosey before it got fried. Now it just doesn't work.

Anyway, bought another N1, rooted and having a whole other batch of probs...lol. Maybe I just need to stop loving this phone so much and move on to another...?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links