Can not flash recovery! Have I lost ROOT?

This is a discussion on Can not flash recovery! Have I lost ROOT? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I am new at the ROOTED phone but learning every day. My N1 was rooted with CM7 nightly. All good. To provide more memory I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can not flash recovery! Have I lost ROOT?

Can not flash recovery! Have I lost ROOT?

I am new at the ROOTED phone but learning every day.

My N1 was rooted with CM7 nightly. All good.

To provide more memory I partitioned SD with Ext3 and utilized Link2SD and S2E.

While doing my setup refining (!?) some how I lost most of my Apps, can not download any apps form my Google Play account and am unable to get to recovery using POWER BUTTON / TRACKBALL > BOOTLOADER > RECOVERY to flash new ROM, GAPPS, etc.

Now I am thinking that I have lost root.

Any ideas what I can do to ascertain what is wrong and correct?

Thanks

David

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

pull battery and reinsert
    while phone off hold down only pwr and trackball till it boots into fastboot--three androids at bottom
    click on bootloader then vol- to recovery and click
    if you can't get to recovery you need to re-install recovery
    hope you have backups of phone and sdcard--maybe reformat/partition sdcard also
    you may have to fastboot recovery thru sdk/command window--if you don't have that, good time to read up and install and learn adb/fastboot--much easier to get out of trouble imo
    i also prefer amon_ra 2.2.1 recovery--rock solid
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

I appreciate the reply.

When I click on recovery it goes to 4 color X and unlocked picture then sits there. OK, so I believe I need to install new recovery.

But, if I lost root, will installing new recovery get me anywhere? I believe I can install a new ROM but will I not have to root as well?

One other concern is I am using a MacBook Pro so entering scripts are different then via PC (fast boot).

On one site the comments lead me to believe that I need to install Superuser!?

Reading and learning.

Thanks for the reply,

David

yes, you lost recovery--i have windows so may not be of much help

reflash/fastboot a new recovery

if you flash superuser it will root you or flash a rom that has it in it

flash recovery first and if you haven't get backups of phone and sd card after you are up and running
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Lost root but moving forward

Wanted to thank you for your help. Since my last entry I have managed to get unit working properly with a Froyo (2.2.1) install using PASSIMG.ZIP. Now all things are working as they should be.

When I installed ROM Manager and tried to open it I get 'You must root your phone....' 'Superuser was nit found....'

When I try to open Titanium Backup a popup says 'Sorry I could not acquire root privileges...'

From this I am led to believe I did lose root.

I there a better root method then others and if not is there a preference? I had used, with the help of a friend with a PC (I still have not figured out commands for the OSX Terminal) I used Doomlord root before.

Thanks again for your help.

David

you should be able to just dl and install superuser from market

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

i don't use rom mgr/cwm, but most have better luck with the pre 3.0 versions

amon_ra is good, but installs thru fastboot

am using 4ext recovery touch from market and the have thread in xda--no need to install it thru fastboot and has themes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Lost Root-N1

I tried installing Superuser and Busybox from the Market, No luck getting root back.

Next is to actually root again.

Have tried a 'super-simplified version of SuperOneClick 1.8' that has a MAC/Linux script(!?). So far it does not see the attached device BUT never fear, I will get it figured out yet.

Thanks again for the support.

David

if it doesn't see your device did you install drivers

i don't know if any of my comments below apply with you on Froyo 2.2.1 apply. You may need different method--see if link below helps at all for your mac and froyo 2.2.1

[HOWTO] Root Nexus One 2.2.1 FRG83D without OEM unlock - xda-developers

otherwise:

you may want to fastboot amon_ra 2.2.1 recovery instead of rom mgr/cwm

not sure how to do it on a mac or do it on a friends windows pc

assume you have bootloader unlocked and can use android sdk to fastboot

my procedure was install sdk, unlock bootloader, fastboot flash amon ra recovery, flash a rom with superuser in it like CM7 or install superuser

hopefully someone with mac experience will have idea--we will get it working unless you figure it out first

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Root gone?!

From what I have read I believe drivers are not required when N1 is hooked up via USB.

Yes bootloader is unlocked.

To recap, the N1 had boot loader unlocked and was rooted using Doomlords rooting package.

I formatted SD card to take advantage of Ext3, Link2SD and S2E.

All apps were linked and life was good. Then, I thought I was making changes that would improve performance only to find that I had broken links. Because of this I lost all apps on SD, made most of the apps that were still on phone useless and ended up losing root (boot loader is still unlocked).

Since then I have managed to install Froyo 2.2.1 using PASSIMG.zip. At least phone is working like it should.

Tried to remount root with no luck, Downloading Superuser app from MArket place did not work either.

Next is to root again.So far the SuperOneClick does not see the device when it is plugged in. Since it is a Mac drivers are not require so I am at a loss at this point.

Will look at it again tomorrow.

Thx again.

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links