GPS Not Working

This is a discussion on GPS Not Working within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I sat outside for 10 minutes in the cold trying to get satellites Installed GPS Status to help Only able to get 0/2, no fix ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Not Working

Unhappy GPS Not Working

I sat outside for 10 minutes in the cold trying to get satellites

Installed GPS Status to help

Only able to get 0/2, no fix on anything

I have heard others also having issues with GPS

Anyone else?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post

Anyone else?
    Usually it depends on location and weather conditions, like if there's a lot of clouds most likely it will not work or it will take time to lock a GPS signal.

I saying this because I live in San Diego, CA and when went to San Francisco for vacation most of the time it was very cloudy and my Nokia E71 GPS didn't respond most of the time, I hope it isn't a thing in the hardware but keep checking. :nexusx:

All my apps that use GPS that I downloaded were not working. Was only able to get the rough location from the network. I had only turned the phone on once and had not shut it off yet. Rebooted phone and GPS has worked flawlessly since.

fletch

I went through the same thing....

After not finding the "reboot" function in the options, I recalled to my iTouch, held down the button and shut it off.

After restarting, the GPS is now working fine!

Quote Originally Posted by giodelgado View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post

Anyone else?
    Usually it depends on location and weather conditions, like if there's a lot of clouds most likely it will not work or it will take time to lock a GPS signal.

I saying this because I live in San Diego, CA and when went to San Francisco for vacation most of the time it was very cloudy and my Nokia E71 GPS didn't respond most of the time, I hope it isn't a thing in the hardware but keep checking. :nexusx:
    The GPS signals will not be affected by clouds, rain, fog,
    snow, etc., because of the combination of their passing
    through water vapour, and the signal wavelength meaning
    they "pass through" rain etc......

Does heavy cloud cover affect GPS reception? | GPS Tracklog

Poor Location from GPS and Cell

I've had this same problem. The GPS is often several hundred feet off. With GPS Status I only show one or two satellites. This is in north Chicago with 3 story buildings around - shouldn't be a problem since my Garmin works fine. Course my Garmin also has WAS enabled.... Downtown it can even be worse, though I can accept that buildings are blocking the view.

Without the GPS on, my God, the location from cell alone is horrible. Often times several hundred meters, up to a thousand or more off. What the heck??? I would have thought cell triangulation would be within a few hundred feet at worst. What's strange is that whenever I get home, both my wife's and my phone think we are in a park 500 or 1000 meters away. But it always puts us in that park!

I've restarted several times, both are phone are not improving. The only times it seems to be doing a decent job is when we're moving fast - car or train. I'm thinking that T-Mobile may not have many cell towers hence the poor location? But wouldn't they use any towers available?

I also haven't seen many other complaints from users, so maybe I just turned off some critical feature by accident.....

From my understanding as well clouds don't affect GPS. Solid objects yes... It's similar to LIDAR I think, which you can shoot ground elevations from through clouds but not through water (although shallow clear water such as the Caribbean is somewhat possible).

Probably dense fog with large water droplets and maybe heavy dense rain are big enough to block the signal?

I sat outside for 10 minutes in

It's very cloudy in Seattle too, but I have never had problems with the GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Discman View Post
    I sat outside for 10 minutes in

It's very cloudy in Seattle too, but I have never had problems with the GPS
    Turn off 3G and see how long it takes.

I had the same issue after the latest OTA update. Google Maps was miles off and Ndrive couldn't acquire a location. I turned Wifi off as the maps application will use your Routers IP allocated location provided by the ISP which can be inaccurate. It still wasnt great so I turned GPS off and on again - no improvement. After rebooting twice and then turning GPS on again it and then driving 5 miles from my location it seemed to kick it into life. Give it a go, reboot a few times then take it out for a drive and then go on Maps and see what happens? If not, try disabling GPS, moving, and then re-enabling it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links