Slight rattle in device

This is a discussion on Slight rattle in device within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I noticed this a lot on mine while using the barcode scanner app. It also rattles if i tap the device. It sounds almost as ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slight rattle in device

bmo
    I noticed this a lot on mine while using the barcode scanner app. It also rattles if i tap the device. It sounds almost as if it is some sort of a focus mechanism that uses possibly an electromagnet to focus. When the device is not enabled the ring or whatever it is just rattles loosely until the electromagnet engages. Just a theory tho

bmo
    The real question is whether or not there is anyone out there who does not experience the rattling... that would b more indicative of a problem

Quote Originally Posted by bmo View Post
    The real question is whether or not there is anyone out there who does not experience the rattling... that would b more indicative of a problem
    It is now that we've confirmed so many of us do hear it I'm still mostly curious as to what it is! It definitely is around the camera area, but nothing in optics should be that loose....

i have that rattle noise as well when knocking at the back of the N1. This reminds me of my iphone 3gs which had the same issue and it was said that it came from the Camera. Not sure if this is the case with N1 though.

hmm no rattle here....sorry :/

Well, I spoke with HTC and they said "nothing should be rattling", and offered to have me send the phone in. Still, that's 2 weeks (!!!) without the phone (what about people without a backup?) and if it ends up not being under warranty, I'm out $50 in shipping and "evaluation" costs.

I have a feeling that they might just take a peek, say "works fine", and send me the bill. Nothing seems to be working incorrectly yet. I do notice that the rattle is a bit worse than before? Or maybe it's just getting on my nerves. Wish I knew what kind of issue it was. I wouldn't mind it if I knew it wasn't affecting anything.

What do you think? I can take uncertainty OR the perfectionism, but both? I guess I'll take the plunge and hope for the best... which is that the phone is broken and they'll fix it? Arrrg, I don't even know what I'm hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by SaffronPlatypus View Post
    Well, I spoke with HTC and they said "nothing should be rattling", and offered to have me send the phone in. Still, that's 2 weeks (!!!) without the phone (what about people without a backup?) and if it ends up not being under warranty, I'm out $50 in shipping and "evaluation" costs.

I have a feeling that they might just take a peek, say "works fine", and send me the bill. Nothing seems to be working incorrectly yet. I do notice that the rattle is a bit worse than before? Or maybe it's just getting on my nerves. Wish I knew what kind of issue it was. I wouldn't mind it if I knew it wasn't affecting anything.

What do you think? I can take uncertainty OR the perfectionism, but both? I guess I'll take the plunge and hope for the best... which is that the phone is broken and they'll fix it? Arrrg, I don't even know what I'm hoping for.
    That's bizarre that they said that. I took off my back cover, and poked around the back with my finger, and if its not something in the camera, it must be the accelerometer??? I don't consider it a problem, but it does sometimes rattle a bit when i type because I have haptic turned on.

I think most people in here sold their old phones to afford this phone, so expecting us to send them back on something they are unsure about isn't gonna work.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

I can hear the rattle in the near of the 3,5mm jack. It's somewhere there but not annoying for me at all, I barely here it in normal use.
    I remember other phones doing some "clack" sounds when fokussing, N1 doesnt do it
    Follow me on Twitter @xPatriick
    Feel free to buy me a beer if I helped you
    This is what I use on my Nexus One (ROM, Kernel, special Apps)

Quote Originally Posted by xPatriicK View Post
    I can hear the rattle in the near of the 3,5mm jack. It's somewhere there but not annoying for me at all, I barely here it in normal use.
    I remember other phones doing some "clack" sounds when fokussing, N1 doesnt do it
    The camera indeed does make a clicking noise! Not very loudly when taking a picture, but if you use the scanner apps such as BarcodeScanner, or Amazon.com barcode scanner, you can hear it make noise as it focuses! Thats the only thing I could thing this to be!
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

I talked with a few people at HTC, and they said that the rattling is something being reported very commonly to them. Tech support didn't admit to it being an actual issue with the phone (and it doesn't honestly seem to affect it, just makes me nervous), so I agreed to do a phone swap instead. I guess this means I'll get a refurb device, but I don't mind as long as it's in perfect condition!

I told them I'd call them back when I got the new device to report as to whether the new one made the sound too. Surprising that they don't have a test unit on hand, but maybe it's a very big call center?

In any case, HTC help is really nice as long as you are polite, so there's little harm in asking what's up. Hope they don't get too swamped. Still really enjoying this phone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links