3.5mm headphone jack causes media player to skip songs

This is a discussion on 3.5mm headphone jack causes media player to skip songs within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I haven't tried the tape solution yet, but now that I know this is an issue with headset controls and not some hidden shake-to-skip feature, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3.5mm headphone jack causes media player to skip songs

I haven't tried the tape solution yet, but now that I know this is an issue with headset controls and not some hidden shake-to-skip feature, I am going to do some more investigation when I get home from work. A coworker of mine has an N1 also so I might have him come out to my car and see if his phone has the same issue as mine in my car. If his doesn't do it, then I want to exchange my phone even if the tape fixes it. Scotch tape is a pretty obnoxious thing to have to do to fix an issue like this on a $550 phone.

I went out to my car during lunch to play around and see if I could figure anything out. Sat in the car, hooked up my receiver's line-in cable, and... no issues. I was pretty confused. I started rotating the 1/8" plug while in my phone's headphone jack and it started flaking out. The 1/8" connector looked fine, but it consistently flaked out the headset controls when I plugged it in and rotated to a certain angle. After a few attempts, I took the connector out and rubbed it between my thumb and finger in case there was any sort of residue or anything on the connector, and.... magically it started working correctly. I'm guessing my connector was dirty or something.

Anyway, I'm just going to keep an eye on the issue. If it comes back up, then I'll look into having my phone replaced. There didn't seem to be anything obviously wrong with my car's 1/8" connector so it seems like the N1 is, for whatever reason, just overly susceptible to false headset control signals.

So I sent N1 support a message after reading this, and then I was directed to call in to a specific number after I explained that it seemed like more of a hardware issue that their suggestions of hard rebooting wouldn't fix.

As it turns out, the google guy on the phone told me that they've become very aware of this issue affecting a lot of N1's, and they are already working on an over-the-air update to remedy the situation, which should be available in not too long. Apparently it is actually a software issue, and does have to do with the N1's inability to properly distinguish between false signals it may receive from certain cables, although he said most headphones weren't likely affected.

Hope this helps anybody who finds this thread looking for a fix like I did.

p.s. I tried to find out if the upcoming car dock was going to route audio as well, and when they were planning on releasing that, but he wasn't able to tell me that.

I came to ask if there was a hidden shake to skip feature. I get this problem with the Aux jack in my car. I guess I can only hope that it's a fixable problem because right now it's useless for one of the primary tasks I wanted the phone for (streaming audio & podcasts in my car).

I have this problem too. My Sony headphones are not affected, but the Aux jack in my car is. I tried two different male to male 3.5mm cables in the car and both do it.

I haven't tried the scotch tape suggestion yet as I would worry if the tape would shred off and fall inside the phone. I hope the software update comes soon and fixes this.

Has anyone tried any adapters like this one?

Droid Adapter 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to 3.5mm TRS Headphone Jack

Edit: A couple other ideas:
    iPhone Adapter 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to 3.5mm TRS Stereo Headphone Jack
    iPhone Adapter 3.5mm 4 conductor TRRS Male to 3.5mm TRS Headphone Jack and 1/4in Microphone Jack
    http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Stereo...527789&sr=8-19
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3.5mm-Remote-C...07188001r10798

Smile Same here...

So, I have seen this issue around various support forums and have also contacted Google support via email. (after replacing my aux-in cable in the car, trying yet another one, etc) They responded instructing me to factory reset my phone, stating that it had solved the problem for "some" users. Clearly this is a software issue, so I went looking for an alternative media player to see if it was related to the built-in media player. I installed MixZing, which conveniently allows you to disable the headphone remote controls, and voila, problem solved. I suppose a more accurate test would have been to not disable the remote controls via MixZing, but I am so over this problem I'm not looking back now that I have a resolution. I wrote back to Google and told them "thanks but no thanks, and please release a patch since this is clearly a bug". In short, if you want to listen to music as intended in your car until this is fixed, just download another media player app. Hopefully this will work for you guys; let me know! (no, I do not work for MixZing, and it's free anyway)

@bwatson009, does MixZing disable the skip controls globally or just for it's own app. I ask because I usually listen to Google Listen and Pandora, which also skip in the same way.

Ah. The bug must be at the OS level then. Pretty sure it's only within MixZing...

Actually you might want to give it a try. You have the option of telling the app to remain running in the background, so... maybe?

I found a solution that worked for me.

I ran by RadioShaft this morning and picked up this adapter:

https://www.jonhull.net/images/n1plug.jpg

It is designed to add a mic to iPhone or iPod Touch. There is a 4-conductor 3.5mm plug on one end and the mic portion has a 3-conductor 3.5mm jack. I plugged this in between my N1 and the audio cable running to the Aux jack of my car. I no longer have song skipping. I am even able to wiggle the plug around and remove it without a problem. The Mic box has a button on it that pauses the song on the N1.

$15 at Radioshack. A bit expensive for what it is, but it works.

Edit: So I thought my headphones were wearing out on the right ear (they are like 6 years old). Turns out this was caused by the N1 audio jack as well. Through the adapter the right ear works great. This may be useful for those of you with the one ear problem.

Also, the button on the mic box not only pauses, but will skip songs if you press it twice quickly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links