Service of the HTC repair centre is very poor

This is a discussion on Service of the HTC repair centre is very poor within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; This is what this seems like to me. As a representative of a company on a call that can be recorded (not to mention I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Service of the HTC repair centre is very poor

This is what this seems like to me.

As a representative of a company on a call that can be recorded (not to mention I am in some call center and only do what my computer tells me to tell you) I am obligated to follow the letter of the law.

OBVIOUSLY HTC has verbage about an unlocked bootloader so they have the oppertunity to void a warranty where it seems fit. Therefore if you call me and say that you voided your warranty, i have to tell you that your warranty is void and a fee is involved.

You need to keep your issue of hardware seperate (believe me the power button is a big problem right now, mine is acting sporatic too, they are getting alot of these replaced). You need to call them and get the info you need to send your phone in and neglect to mention anything about what your software is doing as that 'doesn't seem relevant to your hardware issue'. Send it in they aren't going to do hundreds of dollars worth of work without your permission, cause thats against the law. Send it in and like all the others with rooted phones you will get the phone back un-rooted most likely. They use a device, they don't change the motherboard.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

BTW, here is one of MANY examples of a rooted user getting work done where they simply unrooted the phone and sent it back (no motherboard change)

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...-repaired.html

there are plenty of people getting warranty work for dust under screen, power buttons, etc while rooted.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010

Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    BTW, here is one of MANY examples of a rooted user getting work done where they simply unrooted the phone and sent it back (no motherboard change)

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...-repaired.html

there are plenty of people getting warranty work for dust under screen, power buttons, etc while rooted.
    Thanks, I know everyone keeps saying that but I couldn't find any posts where the outcome was good. Now, I'm seriously considering sending the phone in.

Basically, if I do go ahead with getting rid of the phone it would come down to having a warranty on my phone. I could pay the $150 ETF with Tmobile, sell my N1 on eBay, probably recoupe most if not all of the price of the phone and termination of the contract, then head over to say Verizon and get a Droid, root the phone with no warranty issues. What we're really afraid of happening is sending the phone in for repair paying $200 or whatever HTC thinks is "fair", get the phone back and have the same problem and having to go through this process again. Which I've seen more than a couple complaints about the power button to continuing to be issue.

We have rooted phones, that is the entire reason we bought this phone and not another Android phone. Rooting was supported out of the box by the manufacturer so I just assumed their repair policies would match the product they are selling.

The frustration level is so high with HTC right now it's a tough decision whether or not we want to continue to jack with these people. Personally, if I'd had known all this, I would have paid $200 in a second this came up not to have to deal with HTC on the phone and even at this point selling the phone, terminating the contract, and buying a new phone appears to be the least hassle. If I can get $300 on eBay, which I dont think would be a problem since we still have all the original packaging, I'd only be out around $50 to just go get another phone with another carrier excluding activation and misc fees. We will probably mull it over for another couple days because we're trying to make a decision that makes the most sense but despite others reports that the bootloader wasnt an issue, I'm pretty sure HTC is NOT going to do us any favors. The first time I called and the woman demanded that I give her the IMEI # before I could be transferred makes me think I don't have a thing coming from these people. I really want to like HTC too because chances are even if I do cancel the contract and what not I'm probably going to end up with another HTC phone.

BTW, my opinion is send the phone in anyway.

If they hit you for $200 for the fix, I would just do it. A stock phone without root with all the packaging on eBay will go for pretty good money as probably someone out of the country will pick it up. Paying the $150 ETF and sell it rooted with a broken power button will lose more than $50 in comparison, at least that is what I think.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonG777 View Post

We have rooted phones, that is the entire reason we bought this phone and not another Android phone. Rooting was supported out of the box by the manufacturer so I just assumed their repair policies would match the product they are selling.
    You keep mentioning this, and I have to disagree. It was intended for developers, yes...but I saw no suggestion Google encouraged hacking, insofar as they didn't make it difficult to unlock the bootloader...quite a bit different than your characterisation 'rooting was ''supported'' out of the box'. They don't "support" rooted phones period..it says so directly in clear, plain english warranty doc, as one of the first, main points. I think you may have purchased with an unacceptable expectation, and don't know where you got this notion.

The frustration level is so high with HTC right now it's a tough decision whether or not we want to continue to jack with these people. Personally, if I'd had known all this, I would have paid $200 in a second this came up not to have to deal with HTC on the phone and even at this point selling the phone, terminating the contract, and buying a new phone appears to be the least hassle. If I can get $300 on eBay, which I dont think would be a problem since we still have all the original packaging, I'd only be out around $50 to just go get another phone with another carrier excluding activation and misc fees. We will probably mull it over for another couple days because we're trying to make a decision that makes the most sense but despite others reports that the bootloader wasnt an issue, I'm pretty sure HTC is NOT going to do us any favors. The first time I called and the woman demanded that I give her the IMEI # before I could be transferred makes me think I don't have a thing coming from these people. I really want to like HTC too because chances are even if I do cancel the contract and what not I'm probably going to end up with another HTC phone.
    The IEMI is simply the ID they use to identify your unit to issue a troubleticket..nothing nefarious. Who is 'we' you now bring up..who is 'making this decision'? Do you not see the responsibility associated with you breaking the TOS/Warranty at all? It is a lesson to all that there ARE consequences to rooting: breaking warranty. Still, I doubt they will charge you to reapply 'warranty', they have been flashing back to OEM according to users, along with the required hardware repair. No user here has reported otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonG777 View Post

You keep mentioning this, and I have to disagree. It was intended for developers, yes...but I saw no suggestion Google encouraged hacking, insofar as they didn't make it difficult to unlock the bootloader...quite a bit different than your characterisation 'rooting was ''supported'' out of the box'. They don't "support" rooted phones period..it says so directly in clear, plain english warranty doc, as one of the first, main points. I think you may have purchased with an unacceptable expectation, and don't know where you got this notion.

The IEMI is simply the ID they use to identify your unit to issue a troubleticket..nothing nefarious. Who is 'we' you now bring up..who is 'making this decision'? Do you not see the responsibility associated with you breaking the TOS/Warranty at all? It is a lesson to all that there ARE consequences to rooting: breaking warranty. Still, I doubt they will charge you to reapply 'warranty', they have been flashing back to OEM according to users, along with the required hardware repair. No user here has reported otherwise.
    Yeah I take complete responsibility for voiding the warranty, I think I've said numerous times I dont mind paying to get my phone fixed. And your right Google never said they supported rooting and I never expected them to other than having an option to pay a fair price to get my phone fixed if any hardware issues came up like this. This issue could very well turn out to be the power button failed due to the phone being dropped, in which case what are my repair options? I don't have any because they only fix warranty issues?

Hopefully, everyone is right and I'll just send my phone in and get a fair estimate and go ahead with getting the phone fixed. I think this has been beat to death enough so hopefully I'll post back in a few days with good news. Either way I will keep everyone up to date.

As far as "we" are concerned, I was referring to myself and my GF. It's more or less a joint decision. Not exactly sure how that is relevant to thread though.

The power button is not a software issue. Again, HTC has been lenient wrt hardware issues, and very likely will repair/replace your unit, regardless of bootloader condition. Don't be surprised, however, to have the OEM ROM on the returned unit....or not (it's happened both ways).

Ok so I took everyone's advice and went ahead and sent the phone in despite everything I was being told on the phone. HTC emailed the overnight label, we sent it in and now we have the phone two days later, fixed under warranty and relocked, all at HTC's cost. So minus the phone calls to HTC, one of the best repair services I've experienced. All of my concerns are now put to rest. Great phone, great service and phone reps that seem to be totally disconnected from what's really going on at their company. They've made me a fan for as long as they continue their lenient repair policies.

As I said before, a rooted phone is essential to me for the current project I'm on at work. They don't realize it but they probably just sold phones for our entire news department. Very happy with HTC right now. Hopefully they come out with a tablet soon!

I guess HTC is not that bad after all....
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Ya beat me to it, SBS! Brandon, I'm glad your fears were put to rest. Welcome back to Happy Valley :D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links