GPS with Google Maps really off with image attached

This is a discussion on GPS with Google Maps really off with image attached within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; It shows me being on the other side of the street when I am standing about 100 feet away from the MRT station in front ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS with Google Maps really off with image attached

GPS with Google Maps really off with image attached

It shows me being on the other side of the street when I am standing about 100 feet away from the MRT station in front of me which I have pictured. Google MAPS always shows me being on the other side of the street and the map is always the opposite direction. Seems like it has no sense of direction.

I am actually standing between the #5 and the MRT sign on the yellow part of the Google Maps Picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

is this hong kong?

This is Taipei, Taxis in Hong-Kong are red and they drive on the other side of the road.

Judging by the GPS icon, you don't have a lock so it'd be going off the not quite as accurate cell tower based positioning.

I doubt the GPS/Maps set up in the N1 is as advanced as a dedicated GPS receiver. My Garmin has a setting to "keep on road" which keeps the location icon on the road or path. I do know that when "keep on road" is off the location icon tracks off the highway/road and the closer you zoom in the move off it appears. Most GPS are off some and the internal software makes corrections.

Went outside and checked, I'm in downtown Dallas TX, and it stated I was "within 90 meters" actually off by only 15 meters. So, 30 feet isn't bad and the ability to see the imaged area would easily allow to visually identify my actual position had I been unfamiliar.

The Asus Smarthphone pda's are very accurate and even the Nokia's with GPS are more accurate than this Nexus One. My older Iphone 3G which is not accurate is even closer than this one. This device has GPS and AGPS so there is no reason for it to be that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Judging by the GPS icon, you don't have a lock so it'd be going off the not quite as accurate cell tower based positioning.
    We had blue skies and I stood in that same area for around 15 minutes. Should not take that long to get a lock.

My google map/navigation is strange cuz i requested direction to my local store which is literally half a mile away and it ended up giving me a long version, 5 miles, which included freeway. Is there an option that allows short cuts, no freeway, no toll road, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by americanexpat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    We had blue skies and I stood in that same area for around 15 minutes. Should not take that long to get a lock.
    If the GPS icon is still flashing then you haven't got a lock, and would suggest the position data is just an estimate based on cell towers/wifi, which aren't very accurate.

Here is a post describing why it might take ages to lock on:
    Android Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links