Roaming?

This is a discussion on Roaming? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Question, has anyone had their N1 roam? I've been having intermittent connection issues, specifically when passing through or in dead zones. Basically the phone wont ...

Thread: Roaming?

Roaming?

Question, has anyone had their N1 roam?

I've been having intermittent connection issues, specifically when passing through or in dead zones. Basically the phone wont reconnect to network and I have to manually reestablish the connection. Several calls to HTC and TMobile have had mixed results mainly seems to work for awhile than starts again.

So, I've been trying to troubleshoot the problem myself. One thing I've noticed is my phone doesn't roam. Testing on other phones when I lose connection they'll roam over to att. On the N1, in dead zones, I've cheched the available networks and only att is visible. So, shouldn't the phone roam over?

I'm guessing that the phone loses or forgets the network it's registered to, in dead zones, and when returning to a coverage area doesn't know which network it needs to register with.

Any thoughts ideas?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Did you try changing the settings to enable data roaming?

Settings > Wireless & Network Settings > Mobile networks > Data Roaming

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    Did you try changing the settings to enable data roaming?

Settings > Wireless & Network Settings > Mobile networks > Data Roaming
    Yes, but I guessing that wouldn't effect anything because there's no where to data roam to. TMobile frequencies are different, so there's no one to roam over to.

I recently went on a rather long trip and noticed my phone roaming from time to time. I didn't have to do anything, it just automatically swapped around wherever it needed to be. Before I left, I made sure I had set my preferences to allow roaming, including data roaming (since T-Mobile does not charge extra for roaming). I didn't have any "dead" spots throughout the trip, including going through the mountains.

I've had the same question. I live in an area where T-mobile has coverage, but it's pretty spotty. I had assumed that when there was no T-mobile signal available that my phone would pick up ATT (which seems much more consistent around here) and roam with it. No dice though.

I've got a theory as to how this works, and would like to know if anyone can back it up or invalidate it. My guess is that in areas where T-mobile has some coverage (even if it's very spotty) the phone won't roam because there's no roaming agreement between T-mo and the other carrier in that area. T-mobile claims to cover the area, so ATT or whoever won't pick up the signal.

If you go somewhere where there's no T-mobile coverage at all, then you may roam on someone else's network because they have a roaming contract for that area with the other carrier.

Anyway, that's my theory. I'd love to get someone else's take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sglow View Post
    I've had the same question. I live in an area where T-mobile has coverage, but it's pretty spotty. I had assumed that when there was no T-mobile signal available that my phone would pick up ATT (which seems much more consistent around here) and roam with it. No dice though.

I've got a theory as to how this works, and would like to know if anyone can back it up or invalidate it. My guess is that in areas where T-mobile has some coverage (even if it's very spotty) the phone won't roam because there's no roaming agreement between T-mo and the other carrier in that area. T-mobile claims to cover the area, so ATT or whoever won't pick up the signal.

If you go somewhere where there's no T-mobile coverage at all, then you may roam on someone else's network because they have a roaming contract for that area with the other carrier.

Anyway, that's my theory. I'd love to get someone else's take on it.
    You are correct, there has to be a roaming agreement between carriers for you to be able to roam!!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links