Nexus One repair #2

This is a discussion on Nexus One repair #2 within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by Osceola Originally Posted by serialtoon Originally Posted by Osceola Spoke to Google help and they gave me some what of a fix... ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nexus One repair #2

Quote Originally Posted by Osceola View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by serialtoon View Post
    Spoke to Google help and they gave me some what of a fix...

1. go to phone info: *#*#4636#*#*
    2. press "Phone information"
    3. scroll to bottom and click tab under "Set preferred network type:"
    4. check "WCDMA only"

This seems to be controlling the drop from 3G to Edge. I know this isn't a permanent fix but it seems to be working. I haven't been able to test it when I am outside an area that does not have 3G coverage.
    This is not a fix to the problem. If you lose 3G whether it is by holding the phone like he did in the video, you will simply not connect to EDGE, thus losing data and calls. It is a hardware design issue.
    if you read my post again you will see that the fix keeps the phone from dropping to edge. I am able to duplicate the problem in the video but when I switch to WCDMA only it doesn't happen.

in fact I am replying to your post holding the phone just like in the video and I am not having the problem.

the issue with this fix is if you leave a 3G area you will have too switch the settings back or else you will get no data connection.
    I can duplicate that video and show similar results. I did a test with my Nexus One and my Iphone and only my Nexus One lost bars. With the Iphone the reception is received around the sides which are in silver (Antenna).

What's the difference between 3G and Edge?

I have signal issues on both of my phones. VERY sensitive to hand placement. I can litterly go from full 4 bars to zero bars within 5 seconds of moving my hand placement on the phone.

I called google today, which was an absolute nightmare. You have to enter your google order number, which I have two of. Tried to call from my home phone and would not accept either order number. Called from my N1 and got through relatively fast, but still needed to repeat the number 4 times to the tech. I explained the issue I was having and the support tech had the nuts to say "this is the first I have heard of this type of issue". I politely advised her it is all over the net, including their own help forum.

Long story short we did a soft and hard reset, set the phone to WDCMA only and nothing even helped. She then sent my info off to a "support team" to be looked into and I will be contacted within 72 hrs.

this issue is pretty significant on both of my phones. I have had numerous issues with signal strength while making calls. I hope they come up with a solution fast

Quote Originally Posted by pewtavert View Post
    What's the difference between 3G and Edge?
    3G is faster

3G = 3rd gen
    Edge = 2nd gen

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    This is not a fix to the problem. If you lose 3G whether it is by holding the phone like he did in the video, you will simply not connect to EDGE, thus losing data and calls. It is a hardware design issue.
    if you read my post again you will see that the fix keeps the phone from dropping to edge. I am able to duplicate the problem in the video but when I switch to WCDMA only it doesn't happen.

in fact I am replying to your post holding the phone just like in the video and I am not having the problem.

the issue with this fix is if you leave a 3G area you will have too switch the settings back or else you will get no data connection.
    Which suggests to me it's a software issue, still.
    I updated to the latest radio image and i still have the issue. Once again, a hardware problem.
    Microsoft Product Adviser
    :nexusx:Android Developer

just in case anyone is interested, I recieved a reply from google support:

Quote Originally Posted by Google Support
    Hello Xxxx,

Thank you for calling Nexus One support. I just wanted to follow up with you on the 3G/signal issue you mentioned.

We did recently release an OTA update that, among other improvements, includes a general fix to help improve 3G connectivity on some Nexus One phones.

That said, there are a variety of factors which feed into the quality of 3G connectivity on mobile phones, a number of which are dependent on the environment rather than the phone itself. For instance, a software update canít address the experience of users on the edge or outside of 3G coverage areas.

Likewise, different models of phone may perform differently even in the same area with the same SIM cards.

If you have any more questions, or if there's anything more I can do for you, just ask.

Regards,
    XXX
    The Google Team

YXB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zivman View Post
    just in case anyone is interested, I recieved a reply from google support:

Quote Originally Posted by Google Support
    Hello Xxxx,

Thank you for calling Nexus One support. I just wanted to follow up with you on the 3G/signal issue you mentioned.

We did recently release an OTA update that, among other improvements, includes a general fix to help improve 3G connectivity on some Nexus One phones.

That said, there are a variety of factors which feed into the quality of 3G connectivity on mobile phones, a number of which are dependent on the environment rather than the phone itself. For instance, a software update canít address the experience of users on the edge or outside of 3G coverage areas.

Likewise, different models of phone may perform differently even in the same area with the same SIM cards.

If you have any more questions, or if there's anything more I can do for you, just ask.

Regards,
    XXX
    The Google Team

That is the BIGGEST :bsflag: I can take that on a free phone, but not on an almost $600 phone. This phone is turning into a lemon. I think the only solution here is the lemon law...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

update:
    **********I replied to their response...
    Xxx,

Thank you for the reply. I have the OTA update that was released the first week in February (I believe 2/5). I would assume this is the update you are referring to? This did nothing to improve either of my phones connectivity. I do understand that are a multitude of variables that impact the connectivity of these phones. That said, when friends and family are in the same area as me with other devices on the same network and they have stabile signal and my nexus 1 phones are cutting in and out of service, there is something beyond my environmental variables that are impacting the connectivity. I am not just talking about dropping out of 3G, I am talking about losing signal all together.... as I am unable to make calls. Again at the same time friends and family are in the same area with no issues making calls.

To go further the issue I am seeing is EASILY reproduced and is highly sensitive to hand placement on the devise itself. I can go from having a full four bars shown to losing all signal just by changing my hand placement. This is something that has me concerned about the testing done with this phone prior to release and has me questioning the quality of the device itself. I have looked throughout the web and see this issue is very prominent throughout user forums and even google's own support forum.

I encourage you as part of google to find a solution to resolve my issue with both of my nexus 1 phones. I consider this issue unresolved at this point and will be anxious to hear from you in regards to a real solution to the issue at hand.

Thanks
    -Xxxx

************To which I was answered
    Hi Xxxx,

Thanks for the update. I can say that we've gotten a number of reports concerning signal being impacted by hand placement and the like, and we're investigating this currently. I can't comment right now on a specific fix time frame or the like, but we'll continue to work on this and update as needed. Thanks for your understanding in the meantime, and keep me informed if you have more questions.

Regards,
    Xxx
    The Google Team

I feel better about this response than the generic reply I previously received

I am having the same issue. This is also reported on engadget. I spoke to HTC and they are aware of the issue. They are trying to determine if it is a hardware issue or a software issue.
    for sure its a hardware issue. this is exactly what is going on with mine.
    Nexus One 3G Woes, Part 315 | TmoNews - Unofficial T-Mobile Blog - News, Videos, Articles and more
    That's excatly what i noticed on mine...i thought i was crazy for thinking that way...but thanks, this makes me happy that its not only my phone thats like that...i think they need a recall before its too late

Thanks Zivman for contacting Google, I will do the same as soon as i get out of here

N_1
    So when you loose your 3G connection, what does it switch to EDGE? Or do you just have no data what so ever.
    <------Have you seen obama girl?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links