Crazy bug in contacts list, why does it hate Katie?

This is a discussion on Crazy bug in contacts list, why does it hate Katie? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Ok, i swear I'm not crazy and I've checked this a million times. here's the deal, I can not add a particular contact named "Katie" ...

Thread: Crazy bug in contacts list, why does it hate Katie?

Crazy bug in contacts list, why does it hate Katie?

Ok, i swear I'm not crazy and I've checked this a million times. here's the deal, I can not add a particular contact named "Katie" to my phone contacts list. NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

I initially imported all contacts from my sim card when i got my N1. My sim sucks apparently since everything imported as "lastname;firstname" with no spaces. so that sucked but I went online, fixed all my contacts in gmail and resynced and everything was ok.

Now i went to text Katie and suddenly her name is no where in my phone. I searched- no luck. I unchecked "show contacts with phone number" then searched again- no luck. I manually added Katie via the phones contact manager and it said "contact saved" yet still NOT in list. I readded Katie about 5 times same results everytime. I went on my PC and logged into gmail to edit the contact and what do ya know there's Katie about 6 times from where i added her over and over on the phone. Yet still NO katie on the phone itself, not by scrolling, not by searching, anything. I even forced a resync of contacts with gmail... NO LUCK

I tried manually adding "Katy" a purposefull mispelling and that SHOWS UP! I tried adding other random fake contacts in the phone and they ALL SHOW UP! I called HTC and they told me to soft reset and if that doesn't work hard reset to wipe the phone. soft reset doesn't work I haven't hard reset as I don't want to yet... spent a lot of time installing crap and getting set up!

So I edited "Katy" and changed the name to "Katie" to see if maybe it would stay... NOPE, once i edit and save as Katie it VANISHES!

How why what... i don't get it.

So i'm going to have to keep her name mispelled it seems... but this makes no sense... any ideas? Anyone else have a "Katie" in their phone?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

works for me, I can see Katie
    Follow me on Twitter @xPatriick
    Feel free to buy me a beer if I helped you
    This is what I use on my Nexus One (ROM, Kernel, special Apps)

jah
    My wife is Katie, and she's there. Have you tried adding it on google contacts online instead of directly in the phone? Or through facebook, maybe?

Do you have another contact with a similar name, first or last? Perhaps it is getting "joined" with that contact. If so, and you can find which contact it is you can edit and choose to separate them and that should fix it.

I think I found out the issue. seems thee phone keeps combining katie with another contact in my list
    not sure why... can't seem top make out stop

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    I think I found out the issue. seems thee phone keeps combining katie with another contact in my list
    Is the number duplicate? Or is there ANYTHING in the contact that is accidentally duplicated?

If the number or emails are the same, it might merge them automatically.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Your phone is telling you Katie's not right for you. =P

OH also, on the desktop GMAIL contacts, on the contact for her there is a checkbox for MERGE contacts. Make sure it is unchecked. If its checked there might be something that is triggering your contacts to auto merge the two people.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

@Jah: yes, one of first things i tried.
    @spidermonkeyrob: phone doesn't need to tell me that, not a romantic prospect in any way. While I appreciate the phone's thoughtfullness in this... I don't think I need a piece of technology telling me who to talk to ;-)
    @NeonMonster: I deleted all data from Katrina that was merged with Katie so there should be nothing the same. I did this both in the phone and in gmail contacts on my desktop. I don't see any merge checkbox that's unique to a specific contact anywhere...

so only thing I can figure is that somewhere there's some info fact i can't see that makes the phone think the 2 people are the same person...

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Maybe you didn't see my earlier post ... if Katie keeps getting merged into Katrina, you can go into your Katrina contact, select edit, and when in edit mode use the menu key and at the bottom right you will see an option to separate them. That will split them apart and keep them split.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links