Geotagging questions

This is a discussion on Geotagging questions within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Simple GPS receivers like the one in the Nexus One (as well as most consumer GPS units) have a best case error of about 3 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Geotagging questions

Simple GPS receivers like the one in the Nexus One (as well as most consumer GPS units) have a best case error of about 3 meters. That's best case, sometime is will be worse than that (depending on conditions).

Note that when car navigation systems appear to be giving better resolution than that, it is because they are using map matching (you are believed or "known" to be ON the road, so they use that information to "improve" the location).

I don't know if you've ever noticed this, but when you're using Google Navigation on the N1, sometimes you'll see a blue circle around the vehicle. This means that the error is higher than normal and the position confidence is LOWER (i.e., somewhere within the blue circle radius). It doesn't usually stay that way for long.

I know the precision is at best 3m (i've sometimes had a 1-2m difference with hi-res georeferenced photos) but when looking for a previous waypoint, it'd be usefull to have the direction with a better precision than 10m.
    If I coulg select 1-3m, they could display a warning indicating the relative precision, but it'd be more useful than ''nothing''.

Quote Originally Posted by plsavaria View Post
    I know the precision is at best 3m (i've sometimes had a 1-2m difference with hi-res georeferenced photos) but when looking for a previous waypoint, it'd be usefull to have the direction with a better precision than 10m.
    If I coulg select 1-3m, they could display a warning indicating the relative precision, but it'd be more useful than ''nothing''.
    You asked:
    -What is the approximate precision of the position through geotagged pictures? (position in the exif vs actual)
    So I'm just saying that the precision of the geotagging is the precision of the GPS. Why would it be any different?

I asked before buying then tested it with the actual device.

I wasn't clear with my later question : with trimble outdoors, if I look for a previous waypoint, it will give me the direction until being 10m / 30feet of the waypoint. Then, it stops indicating the direction..
    What I'd like to do is be able to select a closer point before it stops pointing the direction.

Or any app that could do that. (bonus if I could tag waypoints then export them)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links