Geotagging questions

This is a discussion on Geotagging questions within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I have some questions about the geotagging feature. The main reason I want to buy the Nexus One is to have geotagged picture for work ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geotagging questions

Geotagging questions

I have some questions about the geotagging feature.
    The main reason I want to buy the Nexus One is to have geotagged picture for work related issues, always outside, in fields (clear skyview). Next are the phone capabilities. Waaay after that, internet through wi-fi.

So here are my questions :
    -What is the approximate precision of the position through geotagged pictures? (position in the exif vs actual)
    -Does the geotag feature can still work if there's no cell coverage? (shouldn't happen a lot, but just asking)
    -What is the ''refresh rate'' of the position? (The APT Photo Finder refreshes once every 5 minutes! bleh)

Any other insights?

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by plsavaria View Post
    I have some questions about the geotagging feature.
    The main reason I want to buy the Nexus One is to have geotagged picture for work related issues, always outside, in fields (clear skyview). Next are the phone capabilities. Waaay after that, internet through wi-fi.

So here are my questions :
    -What is the approximate precision of the position through geotagged pictures? (position in the exif vs actual)
    I believe the precision isn't really the issue (it will give you a very precise location, YY.yyyyyy / XXX.xxxxxx) but how accurate position is (ie, how far off that is from the correct value) depends on the type of lock and the quality of the lock (see below)
    -Does the geotag feature can still work if there's no cell coverage? (shouldn't happen a lot, but just asking)
    I believe so, I've even got locks inside airliner at cruising speed / altitude on top of a huge lake with the phone in in airplane more while snapping some photos out the window in the middle of a 7.5 hour flight.
    -What is the ''refresh rate'' of the position? (The APT Photo Finder refreshes once every 5 minutes! bleh)
    Not sure, but while hiking and snapping photos along the trail it seems to just get a new lock each time I open up the camera.
    Any other insights?
    Here is the EXIF information (and the photo which is not great) from the air, you can see the GPS Processing Method is: HYBRID-FIX. From that location and given the fact the phone was in airplane mode (does it RX cell information in airplane mode and just not TX?) I highly doubt it anything other than GPS satellites helped get the lock. If the location is based soley off of cellular towers it may be highly inaccurate, but if the GPS has locked on multiple satellites chances are the accuracy is comparable to that of consumer GPS units, while inside my house the GPS typically indicates the room I am while looking at Maps (satellite layer).
    Thanks!

Thanks for the answer!

Yes, I was thinking about the accuracy of the position.
    Anyone tested it? (I did so with the iPhone, usually was within 10m compared to a ''real gps'' locked or georeferenced hi-res aerial pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by plsavaria View Post
    Thanks for the answer!

Yes, I was thinking about the accuracy of the position.
    Anyone tested it? (I did so with the iPhone, usually was within 10m compared to a ''real gps'' locked or georeferenced hi-res aerial pictures)
    From my experience with it, I would say its at least as good as the iPhone regarding the GPS.

Answer from tech support at HTC :
    Thank you for contacting HTC technical support about our Nexus One device.
    I will gladly answer all of your questions for you today. Yes the device can Geo tag photos without cell phone coverage. The refresh rate for the GPS is it updates as you move your location. The GPS location it precise within 2 meters of your location when have a good GPS lock on.

More than sceptical about the 2m accuracy. But I'll see when I have the Nexus in my hands.

I recieved my phone yesterday and did some tests with the geotagging features.
    The phone isn't activated yet so only the internal gps was used (no cell towers correction).
    With a clear view of the sky, I was able to get a 5 to 9 meters accuracy (compared to 30cm accurate georeferenced orthophotos) with 10 test pictures photos.

I'll post the results when I'll do the same test once the phone is activated and there'll be cell towers correction.

Hope that info is useful to someone!

By the way, how can I know if the gps position is locked / how many satellites are used? Thanks.

Another point / question :

Since there is a compass and a gps, could the direction where the photos is taken to/from be retrieved?

I know the coordinates are in the exif in the form
    N
    33 33 33.33
    W
    44 44 44.44

But I can't seem to find the direction in the exif.
    Would there be an app for that?

Thanks.

i have a related question... what should be turned on for the most basic geotagging to happen? cant get this to work consistently... sometimes photos have locations and sometimes they dont.

do you need gps on? or does use wireless networks (in the location settings) work on its own... say if you dont need it to be really accurate.

As far as my pic test have gone.. it works alot better if you have the GPS on for the Geo-tag to work.. but IMO keeping the GPS on really does not suck that much out of the battery so I leave mine on always.

I have noticed that when you look at pics on your phone, that when you bring up details that it always gives a Unknown location.. but when the pic is put on the main computer/laptop or on the web (Picasa/facebook etc etc) that it will show the geo/place where it was taken.

Does someone know an app that'd work like a handheld gps would?
    Where you could create waypoints and name, find waypoints (trimble outdoors does it, but it stops giving directions to the waypoint at 10m from it) and calculate the lengh between two waypoints?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links