Excessive data sent!!

This is a discussion on Excessive data sent!! within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; It's my 1st day away from my home wifi network with the Nexus, which I love already... except for this: I have a 1Gb limit ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Excessive data sent!!

Excessive data sent!!

It's my 1st day away from my home wifi network with the Nexus, which I love already... except for this:

I have a 1Gb limit on my mobile account so I checked the usage using NetCounter just before 10AM only to find I'd used 46Mb!!!!!!!! Sure I'd demo'd it a bit, but it was only a little. I then checked the breakdown - 95% of that was data I'd SENT, not received!!!

I've checked with my provider and it isn't a glitch in netcounter, I have used that much!

The only apps I leave running are Flip'n'shake and Advanced Task Manager free.

I've disabled Autosync and background sync and this has slowed things down considerably but it's still creeping up very slowly even though the phone is just sitting on the desk. I can live with the amount it's using now, but it seems weird it's still sending! I have also disable 3G to help with the battery so it's doing well to have sent that much data!

Does Autosync really use that much data, bearing in mind the only thing I did that would be sync'd was add a single appointment?

I've just manual sync'd contacts, mail and calendar and it didn't change the sent data at all, I'm really confused now!

Secondly, I've looked at using wisync (poss with Locale) to force it to sync only when I'm on my home network but I read it doesn't work properly on the N1 yet. Does anyone have experience of this or is there an alternative?

All help gratefully received, I did search the forums but couldn't find mention of this.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'm not surprised. Several apps use ads to generate developer coding expenses. They have to connect to get the ads.

That's one of the reasons I removed my SIM before I left the States. There is a Data Roaming disable somewhere. Sorry, but I'm not going to enable GSM just to find it :-) . Probably cost me $10 just while I look for it.

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Quote Originally Posted by cgcrute View Post
    It's my 1st day away from my home wifi network with the Nexus, which I love already... except for this:

I have a 1Gb limit on my mobile account so I checked the usage using NetCounter just before 10AM only to find I'd used 46Mb!!!!!!!! Sure I'd demo'd it a bit, but it was only a little. I then checked the breakdown - 95% of that was data I'd SENT, not received!!!

I've checked with my provider and it isn't a glitch in netcounter, I have used that much!

The only apps I leave running are Flip'n'shake and Advanced Task Manager free.

I've disabled Autosync and background sync and this has slowed things down considerably but it's still creeping up very slowly even though the phone is just sitting on the desk. I can live with the amount it's using now, but it seems weird it's still sending! I have also disable 3G to help with the battery so it's doing well to have sent that much data!

Does Autosync really use that much data, bearing in mind the only thing I did that would be sync'd was add a single appointment?

I've just manual sync'd contacts, mail and calendar and it didn't change the sent data at all, I'm really confused now!

Secondly, I've looked at using wisync (poss with Locale) to force it to sync only when I'm on my home network but I read it doesn't work properly on the N1 yet. Does anyone have experience of this or is there an alternative?

All help gratefully received, I did search the forums but couldn't find mention of this.
    Also just to add...

Autosync will only use the amount of data being sync i.e if your what you are syncing contains large files (photos etc) then yes! autosync does not use massive data during syncing.

Below are a few things to look into...

1) Is your GPS on alot or is 'Use GPS Satellites' enabled?
    these will use the network behind the scene

2) Are you using 'News and weather wigdet'? and if yes, what is your update scheduled set
    for.

3) Is 'Use wireless network' enabled?

4) 'Is Use my location' settings > Privacy enabled?

5) Also in settings > about phone > battery use > touch 'Android OS' and also touch
    'Android system' where there's a little data info which the OS and system are using.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindaledavis View Post
    I'm not surprised. Several apps use ads to generate developer coding expenses. They have to connect to get the ads.

That's one of the reasons I removed my SIM before I left the States. There is a Data Roaming disable somewhere. Sorry, but I'm not going to enable GSM just to find it :-) . Probably cost me $10 just while I look for it.
    Surely that would be received data? This is SENT data?

Thanks for the comprehensive reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post
    1) Is your GPS on alot or is 'Use GPS Satellites' enabled?
    these will use the network behind the scene
    Nope GPS is off.

2) Are you using 'News and weather wigdet'? and if yes, what is your update scheduld set for.
    Yes, update schedule is set to 6 hours.

3) Is 'Use wireless network' enabled?
    Couldn't find this setting...

4) 'Is Use my location' settings > Privacy enabled?
    Yes it is but GPS is disabled so it's only using cell triangulation.

5) Also in settings > about phone > battery use > touch 'Android OS' and also touch 'Android system' where there's a little data info which the OS and system are using.
    I haven't got 'Android OS' and 'Android System' only reports a small amount of data sent and received.

In the afternoon after I've switched off sync and background data my sent data was minimal, it's still a bit worrying! I'd quite like to sync my data regularly but I can't afford it!

A rough calculation shows that with sync and background stopped my data sent will still total 300Mb a month, I only have 1Gb to start with!!

Loving the phone, hating the hidden data!!!

It's just gone 6AM this morning and my Nexus has SENT approx 17Mb over the mobile network already this morning.

This is very concerning as at home I have Wifi on so it should be using that and not the mobile network. I did turn Syncing on at home as I assumed it would use wifi.

I have once again checked with my service provider and it is real usage not a bug in the software!

Please can someone assist or my Nexus adventure is going to come to an abrupt end!

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    This is very concerning as at home I have Wifi on so it should be using that and not the mobile network. I did turn Syncing on at home as I assumed it would use wifi.
    To ensure wifi only: Menu->Settings->Wireless & Networks-> Check Airplane Mode, Check Wifi.

This is a data-intensive device by design. If you cannot afford unlimited data, it probably will not be a good fit for you. I would be looking at non-smartphone devices that can get your email and WAP browsing with far less data needed.
    Thanks but Airplane mode would prevent calls too! I have discovered a better solution is to change the advanced wifi settings so it doesn't switch wifi off when the phone screen sleeps - I've set mine to not switch it off only when on external power (I charge it over night).

With regard to not being able to afford it... yeah very constructive, thanks. In the UK there is no such thing as a true 'unlimited' data plan, they all have 'acceptable use' clauses, most of which are only 750Mb.

1Gb is plenty unless you go mad, my calculations showed that based on this morning I would incurr over 2Gb of data per month without doing anything, no syncing, no surfing, no email, no youtube. I know it is a high data use device, but that is ridiculous. And lets not forget this was data my phone was SENDING, not receiving!

I've now factory reset the phone. This time I didn't enable backups during setup. I've switched off autosync as before and now my data usage is 0bytes per hour. I'll install all the apps I had before one by one and see if it changes.

Got a lot in the gallery? Perhaps it's syncing it with Picasa?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Got a lot in the gallery? Perhaps it's syncing it with Picasa?
    Not much in the gallery and I don't think I've got picassa set up. It's not doing it now and I have the same pictures in the gallery.

I'll keep and eye on it as I add my apps back.

Quote Originally Posted by cgcrute View Post
    I'll keep and eye on it as I add my apps back.
    be handy if you do report back on what (if anything found) was causing this, as I to, being in the UK (with a limited unlimited data plan) am worried about this...

it might have just been a quirk, but lets hope you find (and shoot) the offending application, nothing is worse then crazy intermittent faults which give no cause or reason.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links