GPS issues

This is a discussion on GPS issues within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; I had the GPS working fine with my new Nexus One (2 days old) earlier today and had up to 9 satelites locked in. I ...

Thread: GPS issues

GPS issues

I had the GPS working fine with my new Nexus One (2 days old) earlier today and had up to 9 satelites locked in. I do not have a sim card in my phone and was out of range of wifi, so it was all satelite based GPS and I was happy. Tonight I installed Oruxmap, which is a pretty cool program to allow you to import terrain maps. I went outside to test it (perfectly clear skys) and was unable to get any fix or even a blip of a satelite using Oruxmap or several other GPS utilities that had been working. I power cycled the phone several times and even took out the battery but nothing helped. I actually removed the Gellicase just to see if that was interferring in some strange way. Nada.

I am going to sleep now and will try any suggestions you guys might have tommorow. I was totally psyched earlier today at how fast and nice the GPS was...

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

GPS issues - fixed!

Well this morning I tried power cycle, still no GPS love. I then went into settings to make sure the GPS was checked on. Still nothing.

I then for some reason went to the date and time settings menu even though the Nexus was showing the correct date and time. The time zone was set to GMT + 0 and I am in the pacific time zone (GMT + 8). When I changed this and went back to one of the GPS test apps it instantly found 7 or 8 satelites and locked onto my position in under 15 seconds.

So I never set the time zone when I got my Nexus a few days ago evidently. The strange thing is the N1 GPS worked well for a day giving verified 8m accuracy then decided it wouldn't work anymore until I told it what time zone it was in. :confused: One would think it could grab this information from the satellites...perhaps most people have a sim card installed before they start using the gps and it does grab the time zone info from a cell tower.

Quote Originally Posted by KTP View Post
    Well this morning I tried power cycle, still no GPS love. I then went into settings to make sure the GPS was checked on. Still nothing.

I then for some reason went to the date and time settings menu even though the Nexus was showing the correct date and time. The time zone was set to GMT + 0 and I am in the pacific time zone (GMT + 8). When I changed this and went back to one of the GPS test apps it instantly found 7 or 8 satelites and locked onto my position in under 15 seconds.

So I never set the time zone when I got my Nexus a few days ago evidently. The strange thing is the N1 GPS worked well for a day giving verified 8m accuracy then decided it wouldn't work anymore until I told it what time zone it was in. :confused: One would think it could grab this information from the satellites...perhaps most people have a sim card installed before they start using the gps and it does grab the time zone info from a cell tower.
    In general for GPS to work, a time code + other info. is sent from the satellites to your phone, (usually 3 to 4 satellites minimum are required).

I believe if your phone is set to a particular time zone like you mentioned, and the actual phone location was different, the satellites would not be able to lock onto your phone as there is a 'time / location' mismatch.

It is possible the reason why your GPS was working before, was because you were in the right time zone and location and when you installed the app it defaulted your time zone settings to GMT +0hrs.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links