"Best" wireless router to work with N1 in G/N mode? N1 will NOT remain connected...

This is a discussion on "Best" wireless router to work with N1 in G/N mode? N1 will NOT remain connected... within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Dear All: I've been having a tremendous amount of issues keeping my N1 connected to my DLink 635 wireless router without having to constantly reconnect ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Best" wireless router to work with N1 in G/N mode? N1 will NOT remain connected...

"Best" wireless router to work with N1 in G/N mode? N1 will NOT remain connected...

Dear All:

I've been having a tremendous amount of issues keeping my N1 connected to my DLink 635 wireless router without having to constantly reconnect manually on my N1. It seems to drop my wifi connection. Furthermore, it does NOT reconnect automatically when I return home after being out.

despite it working for several days rather well after I changed the beaconing frequency from the default of 100 ms to 20 ms, the dropped connection issue returned (along with not automatically re-connecting after i come back home after being out for a while).

i now have to manually ask the N1 to reconnect but fewer times than when i had the beaconing at 100 ms. of course, while this is an improvement over the "no can do" annoying levels of forcing me to manually reconnect 10+ times per day, it is still awfully antiquated and annoying.

i'm at the point of wanting to select a new router (my current router is the DLink 635). having considered the DLink 655, which was, at some point in the past, rated by many as very good/excellent, now seem to have a number of firmware issues!! the Dlink 655 is now known to have issues with the 3rd Party software which is included (without any choices) called Secure Spot. This Secure Spot has a check mark that can be unchecked, but, according to numerous reports, it magically comes back and continues to try to enforce its unwanted restrictions on the user/owner! Furthermore, there are some who claim that it even forces one to install certain antivirus software and miscellaneous unwanted software.

there are sufficient reports that warrant concern, in my opinion. there is also a brief mention of "firmware issues of DLink recently" on smallnetbuilder.com, which is about as thorough a wireless router website as one would ever see.

so this gave me pause vis-a-vis the DLink 655 purchase.

the problem is: which is the current "best", most stable, N/G combination wireless router? i cannot use N/G combination on my Dlink 635 as the N1 would NOT connect at all!! Yes, I DO use ssid filtering. Even invisible/unbroadcasted SSID will NOT work on the N1 with the DLink 635.

any recommendations and suggestions would be most welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I could be wrong... but I don't think there is a 'Best wireless router...' for the Nexus One, I'm using a Linksys, I did have some problem about six weeks ago where my Nexus wasn't connecting.

The issue was that the router was assigning an IP address which was already in use.

It hasn't happened since....

Hopefully others on the forum can shed some insight on different wireless routers that they are using.

i'd like to throw out yet one more clue that may or may not help us diagnose the root cause of my N1's problem (or, it may turn out to be my DLink 635's problem):

my N1 does indeed find various wifi when i am at places. here in nyc, there are wifi signals virtually everywhere one goes. i hesitate to connect to them not knowing if they can get into my N1 and get its contents, but, i DO see on the upper left corner of my N1's LCD the wifi icon plus a question mark.

this tells me that at the very least, when my N1 finds a wifi signal, it knows to list them and alert me.

doesn't this, in a way, confirm that the wireless "card" portion of my N1 works fine? there's no particular reason that my N1 would "find" and "see" all the other unfamiliar wifi signals, alert me to them, and yet, FORGET to automatically connect to my home wifi which is "remembered", right?

btw, please do recall that currently, my problem is way less of a problem than when i had the default beaconing frequency at 100ms (the standard default of my DLink 635). i'm at 20 ms now. one highly knowledgeable person has told me and speculated that such a frequent beaconing signal may actually be somewhat counterproductive as there are 10+ if not even 20+ wifi signals visible in my apartment here, so to have it beacon as frequently as 20 ms (= 50 times per second) may actually cause conflicts and what not. Then again, my reasoning is that I've also increased my chances of one of those being "clean" and not conflicting with any other signal, where if i only beaconed at 100 ms, i.e. 10 times per second, i may well encounter more problems - which was the case back when i had it at the default 100 ms.

now, i would still have to manually ask my N1 to reconnect to my wifi multiple times per day, but far fewer times than when the beaconing was at 100 ms.

i recall that when i was changing this beaconing frequency, even 50 ms didn't seem to work that well.

does this help to provide an additional, troubleshooting clue?

Thanks again!

would it make sense to buy the Netgear 3700 from a trusted etailer with a 30-day return privilege and see if it works? this way, i get a couple of benefits:

- the Netgear WNDR3700 is a well regarded wireless router with a large number of 4 and 5 egg reviews

- i can test it "in situ" right in my own apartment, among the 10+ or 20+ wifi that various neighborhood folks have, so i can tell how well it works in my specific environment or not

- if the well regarded, 8-month old Netgear WNDR3700 does NOT work in my own apartment, i can still return it. it is legitimate to buy this device in good faith, use it, and should it not work in my real world application, i can return it, again, in good faith. i don't think that in this case, i'm abusing any privileges.

what do you think of this idea?

dont know if this happens to you, but im always having problems/issues with my router.

i have a linksys wrt54g with the last firmware and its works great, but sometimes the router have problem with the signal and stuff and when that happens i open the config page and i cant get in or the page its broken, everything everywhere.... to fix that i just unplug the router, wait 5 to 10 seconds and then plug it again and "TADA!" its fixed and the config page and signal power is back to normal..

the same happened with my old d-link wifi router (one of the first ones)

i still dont own a nexus one to test it, but it happens with my notebooks and ipod touch

Quote Originally Posted by Budske View Post
    dont know if this happens to you, but im always having problems/issues with my router.

i have a linksys wrt54g with the last firmware and its works great, but sometimes the router have problem with the signal and stuff and when that happens i open the config page and i cant get in or the page its broken, everything everywhere.... to fix that i just unplug the router, wait 5 to 10 seconds and then plug it again and "TADA!" its fixed and the config page and signal power is back to normal..

the same happened with my old d-link wifi router (one of the first ones)

i still dont own a nexus one to test it, but it happens with my notebooks and ipod touch
    I also have a Linsys wr54g... the problem I was having was that the router was assigning the an IP address already in use.

If I use the Nexus on any other wireless.. no problem.

Latest firmware installed didn't fix the issue until I reboot the router, this was in early February.

Since then... ok, not sure why; but I don't believe it was a Nexus issue, but my router.

Just got Nexus one ATT same prob with Linksys wt54

What settings should I change on the router? Never have this problem with the iphone or wifi devices. Frustrating.

tried that and saved but it keeps defaulting back to auto.

Quote Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
    What settings should I change on the router? Never have this problem with the iphone or wifi devices. Frustrating.

On my Linsys...

1) Wireless network mode > Mixed
    2) SSID broadcast > enabled
    3) WPA 2 > Personal
    4) Group key renewal > 3600 sec.
    5) Transmission rate > auto
    6) CTS protection mode > disabled
    7) Frame burst > disabled
    8) Beacon interval > 1000

Those are some of my settings and as I mentioned Nexus is connecting with no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links