3g vs Wifi - I've done something ...

This is a discussion on 3g vs Wifi - I've done something ... within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; Howdy I've done something to my Nexus One (standard ROM) that has altered the behavior of Wifi/3G fallback. Around the house, with the phone on ...

Thread: 3g vs Wifi - I've done something ...

3g vs Wifi - I've done something ...

Howdy

I've done something to my Nexus One (standard ROM) that has altered the behavior of Wifi/3G fallback.

Around the house, with the phone on and the screen visible - I'm getting indications of a wifi connection to the household wifi, with no indication of 3g activity - normal.

When the screen goes blank, if It stays blank for more than a few minutes - when I press something and it comes out of this "sleep" state - I can see that the wifi connection is not evident, the 3G indicator is showing with network transfer in progress. Without even unlocking the phone I can see the Wifi indicator come back on, establish a connection, and the 3G indicator goes away.

I would guess that somehow I've set the N1 to turn off Wifi when the phone is not in use, and it's falling back to 3G. As soon as I bring it back to life, it turns on Wifi. At least that's my guess - and it's only a guess because I can't find anywhere that I've done that in the settings.

Suggestions?

Regards, Ken

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Interesting thread.

I'm not sure this is the same thing. As soon as I bring the N1 out of "sleep" it automatically establishes a connection to the Wifi - no prompting required.

Ken

Mine has always done this, but like you say it connects to WiFi nearly instantly when I wake it. There is supposed to be an Advanced WiFi Settings screen where you can set it to never sleep. I haven't used that, because I have unlimited everything, but maybe that would help you?

I think the wifi dropping its connection when in sleep mode may explain a problem I've just encountered. I don't have a data plan because I can use wifi most of the time when I'm out. However, I've noticed that when the phone is in sleep mode Gmail doesn't notify me of new e-mails.

After I wake the phone and it re-establishes the wifi connection it does sync itself. Nice to know why it does this.

As a side note, I wonder how fast the battery will drain if I set wifi to remain connected even when in sleep mode?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links