The Clock App, Notifications, and the Trackball -- feature or problem?

This is a discussion on The Clock App, Notifications, and the Trackball -- feature or problem? within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; My problem: When the phone is running the clock app, it seems that I loose the trackball "pulse notification light" for notifications. Usually, when I ...

Thread: The Clock App, Notifications, and the Trackball -- feature or problem?

The Clock App, Notifications, and the Trackball -- feature or problem?

My problem:
    When the phone is running the clock app, it seems that I loose the trackball "pulse notification light" for notifications. Usually, when I get a notification (email, SMS, MMS, or chat), the trackball pulses white one time when I receive the notification AND it keeps pulsing (every 8 seconds?) until I get around to checking the notification bar. This is a great feature.

But, when the clock application is on (as in docked or anytime the clock app is on the screen, dimmed or not) I only get the single pulse when a notification comes through. If I miss the first pulse, there are no more. I usually dock my phone at work which automatically loads the clock app. Problem is that if I miss the single pulse (and noise/ vibrations) while it is docked (and the clock app is running), I don't have a way to tell that there is a new notification unless I wake the phone and look.

I cannot tell if the clock app is designed this way or if this is a bug. Some have said the trackball pulsing is annoying if they are using the phone for an alarm clock. I personally would like the 'pulse notification light' (aka the continued 8 second trackball pulses) to function even when the clock app is running.

I have tried changing settings, rebooting the phone, factory resetting the phone, removing apps, and changing the settings within chat, gmail, email, and sms apps. It is not tied to blue tooth. It makes no difference if it is charging via wall charger, docked, or charging by USB. Only time I loose the continued 8 second pulses is when the clock app is running.

Maybe someone else could check this to make sure I am not crazy? Continued pulses for notifications works, unless the clock app is running.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

you are not crazy. i have the same behavior.
    in some ways i like the way it is, since i only dock my phone at night when sleeping, so i dont want anything blinking. but since you use it at work, you want something to tell you there is a missed notification.

hopefully someone from google is reading the forum and writing all of this down

I asked the same question a week ago and no one answered, and I figured out the answer on my own.

The clock app disables pulse light notifications on the phone. The reason is because in the stock ROM on the Nexus One, there is a hidden setting that is enabled that prevents the trackball from pulsing while the screen is on. When the clock app is running, the screen is considered on.

Try this: Dock your Nexus One, tap the Power key to put the phone to sleep, then email yourself. Does the trackball pulse? It should. This shows the differences between the screen being on and off.

There is good news if you do not like the trackball settings the way they are: root your phone and flash CyanogenMod 5.4. In CM, there are PLENTY of settings to tweak the trackball notifications, such as the very popular trackball color notifications, and it also includes the ability to pulse while the screen is on.

I am not sure how to fix the pulsing problem with the clock app without rooting.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links