3 days with the ATT N1 and here are my findings.

This is a discussion on 3 days with the ATT N1 and here are my findings. within the Nexus One Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Nexus One category; ATT version. I am the BES/EAS mobile admin for a large software company. I currently have several Iphone 3GSs and Blackberry 9700s. I have full ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 days with the ATT N1 and here are my findings.

3 days with the ATT N1 and here are my findings.

ATT version. I am the BES/EAS mobile admin for a large software company. I currently have several Iphone 3GSs and Blackberry 9700s. I have full 3G on all 3 devices at home and work. The ultimate test is to take the 3 devices to usual places around the bay are and compare reception not just how many bars each has but how the data connects and if it drops etc. Normally when I enter the subway(muni) tunnel at west portal I have 3G on the 3GS and the 9700 sometimes until I almost get to the Forrest hill station where it drops down to 1 bar 3G or EDGE. The N1 dropped the connection completely almost as soon as I entered the tunnel. I am going to do more testing but based on my experience with the iPhone and 9700 I would expect no less performance from the N1.

The other problem I have is my wifi connection drops and I have to manually reconnect. I am going to try different settings I have read here on the forums to see if I can rectify that. I do know my 3GS, 9700, macbook etc never have these types of problems. I changed the security from wep to wep2. Next I will try no security but I cannot leave it in that state long as I don't want the neighbors to log on and use my Internet. I may try MAC filtering next.

3rd and minor problems is the touch screen is not as sensitive as the iPhone. Sometimes you have to hit things twice. This is pretty minor and it works fine for most part. People that have never used an iphone probably won't notice it.

Now for the positive stuff. The build quality and screen on the N1 is amazing. I find myself just staring at the screen. No faint scan lines like on just about every Blackberry and iphone screen I have seen (Most people don't see these but once you know what to look for they can be annoying.)
    The GPS is also amazing on this thing. The iPhone updates its GPS once every 5 seconds so its very laggy. (they make it look like it is every second but it is not). The N1 is 1HZ just like most GPS receivers. The camera is the best I have ever seen on a phone. It does not lag like other devices. If it only had optical zoom and a bigger LED it would be as good as many point and shoot cameras but then it would be a lot thicker for the zoom lens.

I use touchdown which works with EAS at work. The built in EAS on androids is terrible. Sometime it wouldn't even sync even if I hit manual sync. I still prefer the 9700 for corporate use and replying to long emails etc over the iPhone and N1.

I really like this phone and want to keep it. I am going to do more reception testing as that is the most important factor of any phone. I have 30 days so if this becomes a big issue for many users maybe HTC can release a software update. I hope this is not a bad hardware design.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

BTW its a 2x digital zoom just checked the specs

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    I stand corrected...user guide says 2x digital only. I wonder why the cam lens is 'loose' then...hmmmm.
    Too much of that "gently shaking"? :rofl3:

That the autofocus lens element.

My 3GS and 9700 do the same thing. The lens is like a solonoid.

I have a Netgear WNR2000 router and the moment I walk into my home it connect automatically to my N1 and my wife's N1. Never had an issue with dropping the signal I have use it for past 2 months.

The settings for my router is set to WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK (It allow clients to use either one) password protected.

HTC Keyboard is the best Keyboard for N1.

You will not find this keyboard on the Market download here.

Thank to jonasl at xda-developers

For more recommendations on apps Look Here

Thanks for the detailed information. I guess I have 14 more days to decide if I want to keep my AT&T Nexus One or stay with the T-Mobile Nexus One.

Mine also auto-connects to any router that I've setup with it. Never had a problem with that. I was in Asia for the 1st 3 weeks of March and regularly "roamed" from WiFi connection to WiFi connection without too much trouble. In South Korea there were a lot of WiFi connections with the same name. I hardly noticed which one I was on.

However, there are a few routers that it just will not work with. Never have figured it out or tried too hard since those weren't my routers. :nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

You're lucky those wi-fi networks don't require a password.

I'm glad that some people are starting to get their hands on the Nexus One. They just became available up here in Canada, still waiting.

Since there are some sysadmins and Nexus One users in this topic, I'll throw it out there - our product, Rove Mobile Admin, is close to making a beta available for an Android client. I'm looking for sysadmins running Nexus One that might want to participate. DM me for details, or register at What about android? - Feature and Platform Requests - RoveIT Forums.

For product details, you can check our website (see my profile). We make tools to allow sysadmins to manage systems from their smartphones - imagine restarting services or diagnosing problems from the pub...!

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    You're lucky those wi-fi networks don't require a password.
    Well, I mainly meant that they connected seamlessly.

For example, the WiFi at our office DOES require a password once a day. So I got to the office, various things would stop working (gmail, gvoice, ... ) and that reminds me to log in. But moving from floor to floor then out to lunch and back again works ok.

Driving around Seoul we were hitting home routers a lot. A lot of "default", "LINKSYS", and other standard SSID names without any passwords.

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Basically my biggest complaint with the N1 is the wifi connectivity. it's always disconnecting no matter which network I'm on. I finally got a wifi on/off widget that i tap to disable then tap to enable and magically it auto reconnects. otherwise it would just sit there unsuccessful. total crap code.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links