[Boot Animation] Tryed one just for fun...

This is a discussion on [Boot Animation] Tryed one just for fun... within the Nexus One Themes forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by kc.rkitek Thanks all.. maybe if u teach me how to do it... i can make some 3D model animated and spining and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Boot Animation] Tryed one just for fun...

Quote Originally Posted by kc.rkitek View Post
    Thanks all..
    maybe if u teach me how to do it... i can make some 3D model animated and spining and everything :P..
    First, I've been told that you do not need to be rooted, but you must have the Android SDK. I'm rooted, so I have no idea if non-rooted people can actually do this...I suppose if they try, they'll find out soon enough! So, if you're interested in trying this yourself, I'll try to explain. Bear with me; this is going to be a long one!!

Without further ado, here's the procedure (for windows), assuming you've already set up the Android SDK and installed the SDK usb driver:

1) First, get a hold of the stock bootanimation.zip; there a couple ways to go about this-

Rooted folks can pull it via adb from /system/media...I just pulled it to the root of my C: drive like so:
    Code:
    adb pull /system/media/bootanimation.zip /bootanimation.zip
    Non-rooted users can download it here: 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download bootanimation.zip

2) Extract the zip and inspect the contents. Inside you'll find 2 directories, "part0" and "part1", that are each full of consecutively numbered .png files...these are all the frames of your animation. You'll also have a file called "desc.txt". This little guy tells your N1 how to display the animation. Let's open that txt file and have a look inside...here's what you'll find in the stock "desc.txt" file:
    Code:
    512 256 30
    p 1 0 part0
    p 0 0 part1
    Sort of cryptic, huh? It's not so bad really...
    First line:
    512 = width of the images/animation
    256 = height of the images/animation
    30 = frames per second
    Second line:
    p = this is unknown
    1 = number of times to replay this sequence
    0 = pause in frames...i guess 0 is none. not sure it's use really.
    part0 = naturally, the directory of the images for this sequence
    Third line:
    p = again, this is unknown
    0 = number of times to replay this sequence...0 means infinite repeat
    0 = pause in frames...again, not sure it's use really.
    part1 = again, the directory of the images for this sequence

you with me so far? good!

3. Now all you have to do is create an animation, covert it to consecutive pngs numbered 00001-whatever (just like the stock animation), and edit the desc.txt to make it do what you want. I sort of followed the timeframe of the original animation...a little over 3 seconds (95 frames) for part0 and about 1.5 seconds (45 frames) for part1. Also, my animation frames are portrait orientation so the first line of my desc.txt is actually "256 512 30".

If you make the sequences too long, they won't fully display; at least not the last one. When your N1 finishes booting, it ends the boot animation, finished or not. If you don't care about having "part1" cycle a few times, I suppose you could make "part0" a little longer...say around 4 seconds or 120 frames.

4. When you're all finished, rezip the 2 directories and the desc.txt, but you need to set the compression method to "store"...in other words, no compression. I used winrar for this...select the 2 dirs and desc.txt file, right-click, add to archive, change name to bootanimation.zip, change archive format to zip, change compression method to store, and hit ok. Just like so:

When it's done, move your new bootanimation.zip to your Android SDK "tools" directory.

5) Ok, let's push this thing to the phone! Turn on usb debugging on your phone (settings>applications>development) & plug in phone to computer. Open a command window from your sdk "tools" directory.

By the way, if you're on XP and don't have that option from the right-click context menu, download this: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe...all you have to do is right-click on the "tools" directory and select "open command window here". I promise it will make your life much simpler if you don't use cmd a lot! Otherwise, you'll have to cd to the right directory within the cmd window.

In the command window, type the following:
    Code:
    adb devices
    this should return a list of devices attached...you should have 1 unique 12-digit serial number. If you don't see a HT9********* device, you probably don't have the usb driver from the SDK installed correctly...look here for answers: USB Driver for Windows | Android Developers

However, if you see the serial#, you're good...proceed!

6) Type the following:
    Code:
    adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local
    you should get a response something like "xxx KB/s (xxxxxxx bytes in x.xxxs)". If so, it's on there. Reboot to see it in action! If you want, you can force a reboot via adb like so:
    Code:
    adb reboot

Congrats...you did it!!

Now, say you're tired of you new boot animation and want to go back to the stock one...easy! Repeat step 5 to get back to the adb command wind, only this time we'll enter an adb shell:
    Code:
    adb shell
    now you'll see a "#" sign. type this:
    Code:
    rm /data/local/bootanimation.zip
    and hit enter, of course. Then get out of the shell by typing at the next "#":
    Code:
    exit
    and enter again.
    You should be out of the shell, so reboot to verify the custom boot animation is gone. Again, you can do this via adb; type:
    Code:
    adb reboot
    And just like that, you're back to the old boot animation!

That's it folks...piece of cake, right? You deserve a pint; have one on me...
    I want your boot animation, that's so sexy... Email it to me please!
    Send Me a Text!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Can i get a copy of that??? s

I'll post it on monday...it's at the office!

As promised, here's the link to my custom boot animation:
    4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download bootanimation01.zip
    Just download, move to your Android SDK tools directory, rename from "bootanimation01.zip" to "bootanimation.zip", and upload via adb as I described earlier in this thread... enjoy!

BTW, I tried to change mine a month or so ago without root with no luck. The bootanimation.zip file is locked from being updated or replaced.
    Rooted Nexus One

Did you try to push it to /data/local ? If you tried to to push it to /system/media , there is no doubt an unrooted phone will deny you access to overwrite a system protected read-only file. However, if it will let you push it to /data/local, you're not actually overwriting the stock animation and the os will look here first on boot for the animation. Give that a try...

Hadn't tried that... thanks
    Rooted Nexus One

Np...once again, here is the routine to install:
    1. place the new bootanimation.zip file in your SDK tools directory.
    2. enable "USB debugging" in Settings>Applications>Development
    3. plug the phone into your USB cable (obviously!)
    4. open a command window in your SDK tools folder and type the below lines shown in red:

And here is the routine to remove:
    1. enable "USB debugging" in Settings>Applications>Development
    2. plug the phone into your USB cable (obviously!)
    3. open a command window in your SDK tools folder and type the below lines shown in red:

Note that when you remove it, your phone will revert to the stock animation...Let me know if it works. If not, I'll edit the original post to read "[root only]".Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kc.rkitek View Post
    Np...once again, here is the routine to install:
    1. place the new bootanimation.zip file in your SDK tools directory.
    2. enable "USB debugging" in Settings>Applications>Development
    3. plug the phone into your USB cable (obviously!)
    4. open a command window in your SDK tools folder and type the below lines shown in red:

And here is the routine to remove:
    1. enable "USB debugging" in Settings>Applications>Development
    2. plug the phone into your USB cable (obviously!)
    3. open a command window in your SDK tools folder and type the below lines shown in red:

Note that when you remove it, your phone will revert to the stock animation...Let me know if it works. If not, I'll edit the original post to read "[root only]".Thanks!
    I just tried to use your animation and did adb push to /data/local with no luck I still get the stock animation? Am I doing something wrong, I'm rooted also.

Here's what I did, downloaded your bootanimation01.zip and followed your instructions with no luck

hahaha sorry I found out what the problem was lol I forgot to rename the zip file works like a charm THANKS AGAIN!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links