Questions about N1 compared to BlackBerry or iPhone

This is a discussion on Questions about N1 compared to BlackBerry or iPhone within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; These are a few questions that I can think of off the top of my head. I am very strongly considering the N1. I'm looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about N1 compared to BlackBerry or iPhone

Question Questions about N1 compared to BlackBerry or iPhone

These are a few questions that I can think of off the top of my head. I am very strongly considering the N1. I'm looking to leave BlackBerry and was leaning towards the iPhone 3Gs, but I am a long-time Google fan.

1. Does it support custom sounds for ringtones and alerts? (BlackBerry does, but iPhone doesn't support custom sounds for alerts)
    2. Is there a Facebook app (yet)?
    3. Can you browse the full file structure via a PC and via a file browser on the phone (like a BlackBerry)? Or is it more like the iPhone where everything is hidden and managed from a computer program.
    4. How do you back-up and restore the phone? Is it via a computer program like BlackBerry Manager and iTunes? Does the back-up also back-up the inserted media card? Or do you have to do that separately, like the BlackBerry?
    5. Does it support push email for Exchange accounts, Hotmail and Yahoo?
      1. Does the N1 automatically alert you when you have new mail with a light/buzz/beep, or something?
    6. Can it automatically connect to WiFi Access points when in range like the iPhone does (and it is pretty seamless on the iPhone).
    7. Can you make calls, SMS/MMS via WiFi?
    8. Can you tether to your laptop via Bluetooth without installing any specific drivers on the laptop (a la BlackBerry Bluetooth tethering)?
      1. Can you make/receive calls while tethered?
    9. Do you need specific drivers/programs running if you tether via USB?
    10. Does the N1 have a compass like the iPhone 3GS?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by irontekd View Post
    These are a few questions that I can think of off the top of my head. I am very strongly considering the N1. I'm looking to leave BlackBerry and was leaning towards the iPhone 3Gs, but I am a long-time Google fan.

1. Does it support custom sounds for ringtones and alerts? (BlackBerry does, but iPhone doesn't support custom sounds for alerts)
    3. Can you browse the full file structure via a PC and via a file browser on the phone (like a BlackBerry)? Or is it more like the iPhone where everything is hidden and managed from a computer program.
    4. How do you back-up and restore the phone? Is it via a computer program like BlackBerry Manager and iTunes? Does the back-up also back-up the inserted media card? Or do you have to do that separately, like the BlackBerry?
      1. Does the N1 automatically alert you when you have new mail with a light/buzz/beep, or something?

6. Can it automatically connect to WiFi Access points when in range like the iPhone does (and it is pretty seamless on the iPhone).
    8. Can you tether to your laptop via Bluetooth without installing any specific drivers on the laptop (a la BlackBerry Bluetooth tethering)?

I'll try to answer these questions, I only had my N1 for like 3 months and it was my first android.

1.-Yes
    2.-yes
    3.-Yes (not very sure but I used to browse the SD card, don't know about internal)
    4.-Use a backup app (can't remember if it had one already)
    5.-Yes (one of the priorities for any phone launch)
    6.-the iPhone turns its wifi on automatically to scan wifi access points before accesing the internet when the user asks, in the N1 (not sure also) you have to do it manually, if you leave the wifi on you will see a "wifi access pont available and then you choose to remmeber it, but it's manual.
    7.-Not sure
    8.-I think if you hack it but don't know if it will be wireless or wired, theres also an app that can tether w/o hacking but it needs to be wired
    9.-not sure
    10.-yes

If you are used to business phones I don't think you will like it, having an all touch device IMO isn't reliable, specially for the call and end keys which are mostly used when on the go, Google said they were releasing different form factors for different needs, the N1 isn't for me.
    I switched from Symbian to Android on January 6 2010...

...then I sold my N1 to get the AT&T version but I'll wait for a qwerty solution from google or better with AT&T band support and got the Nokia E75...

lol

1. Yes, you simply need to create a new folder called notifications and put your custom ringtones in it.

2. Yes, it's always been there.

3. Yes, you can browse the file structure of the memory card via a PC. Not sure if the Android SDK lets you browse the system files though. On the phone there are several 3rd party file browser apps that you can use to browse the files.

4. Backup is done in the cloud. Google saved all the settings and apps that you have downloaded and when you re-enter you google account in the phone after a reset, you'll get everything back. Contents in the memory card are not backed up so you have to use your PC to backup those data.

5. The phone alerts you when you have a new email.

6. Not sure about this one, but I think if you keep wifi scanning on, it will connect automatically.

7. You can make wifi internet calls using like Fring.

8. Yes, you can tether using an app called PDAnet. If your phone is rooted, you can also tether using wifi.

9. PDAnet requires you to install something in the PC in order to use USB tethering.

10. Yes, it has a magnetometer.

I switched from a BlackBerry Bold 9000 (1.5 years crackberry addict) to a Nexus One and so far the only thing I miss is the physical QWERTY keyboard. I am getting used to the Nexus One's keyboard and getting better every week but you always look back at your BlackBerry and say "man I was a faster typer"

The Nexus One is a completely different OS than your BlackBerry and you will notice that, first, your eyes will thank you for switching. Second, the web browser is awesome. You can't even compare it to the BlackBerry's native browser. And third, you can actually experience true 3G data speeds as well as navigate through your apps faster than you ever did on your BlackBerry.

There are many positive points here to mention but there are a couple more that I MUST mention. You don't have to wait for ever now if you ever decided to reboot your Nexus One, unlike on a BlackBerry. Last but not least, you don't have to reboot your phone every time you decide to update or remove an application

Does anybody know if the Verizon version of the N1 will support simultaneous Voice and Data? Do the GSM versions support that?

1. Can you make calls, SMS/MMS via WiFi?
    I have a Blackberry Curve 8320 right now from TMO and while I can make calls via WiFi, I've tried doing SMS/MMS, but that doesn't work. So you must be in range of network for that to work. Just wanted to note, because I was pretty happy about sending texts from a building in my school where I don't get ANY service (fail.)

Is music managed using special software? Or can you simply copy MP3's to and from the phone?

Is music managed using special software? Or can you simply copy MP3's to and from the phone?
    No special software required...

All MP3's, photos etc. are copied directly onto your SDcard within the Nexus.

No it won't and yes they do
    Does anybody know if the Verizon version of the N1 will support simultaneous Voice and Data? Do the GSM versions support that?
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

The thing I miss the most from my blackberry are native Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger apps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links