Email Sync question

This is a discussion on Email Sync question within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; so I dont have the n1 yet, waiting for vzw..... I currently have bb bold 9000, and i have gmail. I have a website email ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Email Sync question

Email Sync question

so I dont have the n1 yet, waiting for vzw.....
    I currently have bb bold 9000, and i have gmail. I have a website email address, lets say me@mycompany.com. I have it being retrieved by my bb, but also separately being retrieved by my gmail account, this way i get it at my desk but also when im on the road.
    My question is. When i get the n1 i'm not sure which way i should set it up to get the fastest delivery possible. Here are my 2 options.
    1. sync the n1 with gmail, and when gmail retrieves the mail from my domain mail it will push to my phone. (not sure how often gmail goes and checks for mail at my domain account, or if that is customizable).
    2. Have my domain forward the mail as soon as it gets there to my gmail account which should then push immediately to my n1.
    Any ideas, tips or suggestions?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

1. You're talking about Gmail's Mail Fetcher. I've had bad experiences with it in terms of delivery times. I noticed that the more mail I get in my other account, the quicker it seems to fetch. However, if only few email is being received it's taken over 2 hours in some cases to get it.

2. I use forwarding with Hotmail and it's instant delivery, just like the email was sent directly to my gmail account. However if I reply to it on the N1, it says it came from my gmail account. For work email that might not be acceptable

3. a third option might be look about moving your email to an MS Exchange host. There are some for under $10.00 per month (maybe cheaper if you search). My company email is on hosted Exchange and it pushes to my phone right away. Or... a free alternative might be moving it to Google Apps Domain and set that up on the N1. Google has instructions for Android setup here Android - Gmail Help

1. whoa, thats a long wait....
    2. forwarding might be my best option...i have gmail set up so that when i reply to an email it doesn't show my gmail address in the from field, just the address i want it to which is my domain email....(me@mycompany.com)

i guess i will have to wait to get the phone then try it out....

thanks for the info

wait, are you saying that option 2, it will reply with your gmail account in the from field only from the n1, ?
    when i do it using pc, it works like i mentioned in previous post, so are you saying it is different depending on replying from pc or phone?

ok, so i just tried using my bb, and when i send from bb it is received by other account with my @gmail address in the from field........but if i send gmail from my pc it will show me@mydomain in the from field, just as i have it set up in settings......does anyone know which way it will be when i get the n1??

If you fwd your Other email account to your Gmail account and you reply to the sender, it will come from your Gmail.... NOT from the Other account.

In short, anything sent from the Gmail app on the N1 comes from me@gmail.com. Maybe there's some type of app to override this behavior but I doubt it.

You can add more than one mail account to the N1. Perhaps you can use your personal one as the primary account, and your domain one as an added account.

i could do that, but that still wouldn't help when i reply to messages with my business email it will still show @gmail.com....funny thing is, i spent an hour last night testing different methods....i can set it up with company name displayed but if someone really looks close they can find the '@gmail.com'.
    Can the n1 have the second acct be my business email and be set to retrieve ad reply through that one so that it displays my that address? Is that what you are saying Maris?
    Is that possible with the N1, I wont know until I get it.....if vzw ever releases it...

I may not understand correctly what you are asking ... but ...

I have an email account at palmbeachastro.org that I have forwarded to my gmail account. In gmail's accounts and settings I have set up a second "send mail as" account and listed my name there for my website's domain. When I get an email from palmbeachastro and I reply to it, it comes from my web address. When I reply to my personal gmail account, it comes from me at gmail.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I may not understand correctly what you are asking ... but ...

I have an email account at palmbeachastro.org that I have forwarded to my gmail account. In gmail's accounts and settings I have set up a second "send mail as" account and listed my name there for my website's domain. When I get an email from palmbeachastro and I reply to it, it comes from my web address. When I reply to my personal gmail account, it comes from me at gmail.
    exactly what i'm saying....works just like you stated, from a pc...but when sending mail from my phone either new mail or replying it won't use the domain name, it will use @gmail

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links