Do you think Google wants to make the N1 successfull?

This is a discussion on Do you think Google wants to make the N1 successfull? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I wonder sometimes what Googles exact plans are for this phone. I start to feel more and more as tho maybe they just had HTC ...

Thread: Do you think Google wants to make the N1 successfull?

Do you think Google wants to make the N1 successfull?

I wonder sometimes what Googles exact plans are for this phone. I start to feel more and more as tho maybe they just had HTC whip something up and sell themselves 'Just to see what happens'.
    Reports, of course, are bashing on how bad sales are but we all know that will change once it hits Verizon. And as more and more phones release and technology increases daily it is 'easier' to say a new phone out is better than the N1 (such as Sprints new phone that I forgot the name dropping soon with the bigger screen).
    It is my opinion that some initial wow factor DOESN'T make the best phone, it is the continued support and timeless technology that makes the phone great. I don't want to compare iPhone as a phone but really as how the phone has a support system. Apple doesn't release a new iPhone every 3 months like Android phones are but since it stays similar and gets better hardware every couple years (at contract intervals ) it syncs with your computer (google syncs well as long as you use google products so no issue there), there is every conceivable accessory in the world for it, and a huge app market (Android is getting there). Why, because the phone isn't going anywhere!
    It is things like still not releasing an official car dock and the HUGE delay for a home dock (and those are the only rumored accessories that I know of) that seem like it may be possible Google will just release its 'own version' of a phone as they feel and just keep this cycle going rather than take ownership of something.
    I mostly blame Googles lack of communication on this project. They will seriously say NOTHING but "keep checking google.com/phone for updates".
    <end rant>
    What are your guys thoughts? I would like to stop reading about other phones and just know the N1 is just going to be supported until a MAJOR hardware update that will be similar and use the same accessories as the current version. Or I guess we can keep being the 'next new thing' guys
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Ummm ... yes im thinking Google wants the N1 to be successful. Perhaps they dont communicate as well as they should with the public about release dates and such but it still doesnt mean they dont want it to profit.

Im all for Android releasing new phones as often as they do. It gives everyone more choice as opposed to being sheep and getting iphones. As far as updates, you have to connect your iphone to the computer to sync and update. The N1 automatically gets the updates wirelessly if im not mistaken.

You could say the Nexus One is actually the "G2" phone. I don't think it was just whipped up from HTC. I think Google thought & planned it out with HTC to improve upon the G1 and offer it has their 2nd gen device.

Also, Google products are very 'viral'. I think they realize that they don't require "there's an app for that" type TV advertising to get the word out about their products. A few blogs and forums does the job just fine.

For Verizon customers, I certainly understand the frustration waiting for the N1 to be released. It seems like I waited forever for a version to come out that supported our 3G networks in Canada!

As long as Google licenses Android OS we'll constantly see a slew of more powerful devices. Google has created an arms race with these manufacturers to see who can provide better hardware and layer the sweetest UI on top of Android. For that reason I'm not looking past the N1. When I feel it's time for me to upgrade, I will. It's my choice

All that said I think Google has some learning to do about supporting a real product and what people expect in terms of customer support & product accessories. Up until recently it's been free beta web apps for them; much different than a tangible $500-600 item.

rje
    Of course they want it to succeed. Companies don't develop and release products to fail. When it hits Verizon and the hundreds of thousand of people who think CDMA is fine, it will take off. What's unfortunate is that American GSM users are stuck with T-Mobile, which operates a totally different GSM than the rest of the world. In Canada, the phone works with 4 carriers. The fifth GSM carrier is the same hybrid as T-Mobile - 1700/2100 MHz. So for these people traveling with this unlocked phone means not being able to use foreign SIM cards. The phone might as well be locked. Of course for the CDMA crowd at Verizon, they'll be getting a locked phone. That's CDMA. Funny how it doesn't stop them from signing up.

Some interesting points.
    However to a few points I would like to make it clear (as I thought my post did) that my term successful did not mean profitable. Of course you want something to be profitable.
    My point is some phone makers are profitable by releasing the latest and greatest as it comes along in several phones a year. Others have successful products that last, because they have more that just transformers loaded on them or a bigger screen, but a backing with updates, accessories, and compatability that set the mark for others.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links