European experience

This is a discussion on European experience within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I liked the N1 when I bought it and used in in the USA. Here in Europe, it is much less usable: 1. 3G data ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European experience

European experience

I liked the N1 when I bought it and used in in the USA. Here in Europe, it is much less usable:

1. 3G data connection drops all the time, I stopped using N1 and went back to my iPhone for that
    2. Voice communications are lousy. I have to switch over to my iPhone all the time
    3. There is no navigation to speak of

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Europe is a big place made of many countries. which one(s) have you used the phone in?

I travel a lot. I reside in Prague but the same happened in Austria and Germany. I am going to UK soon and will try it there as well.
    The point is that Europe (even the Czech Republic) is far ahead of the US in mobile communications. The other point is that out of my several mobile phones (iPhone, Symbian, Motorola) N1 is right now at the bottom in the communications. It is a great phone as far as the apps go but that is not the primary function of a mobile phone.

Well problems 1 & 2 don't exist for me in the UK (Vodafone)

3 I'll give you though, wish Google would get that sorted.

I've also had no problem with 3g, it holds the signal better than my previous HTC phone. I also haven't had one dropped call... yet: ) I'm on orange uk

Try Nav Launcher from the market, re: sat nav.

It installed a hacked copy of Google Maps, and it works (in the UK at least)

UK T-Mobile here. Never had a 3G issue. Are you using an american sim card on your travels? Or are these local (European) sim cards not getting 3g on your nexus?

1. In Germany on the E-Plus network (one that people love to hate and with some of the slowest data speeds, as well as sparser 3G coverage compared to O2, T-Mobile, etc.), I seem to be able to hang onto 3G in the areas where it is available.

2. I am completely satisfied here. No issues with dropped calls and call quality is great.

3. You are right that this is a big annoyance, but because it simply has to do with licensing issues, we can't really blame Google for this one. I can just see the code now:

if (COUNTRY != "USA")
    voicenav.disable();
    else
    voicenav.execute();

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Try Nav Launcher from the market, re: sat nav.

It installed a hacked copy of Google Maps, and it works (in the UK at least)

Rusty, what did you do to go about installing this and getting it running? I have read a guide about it and read the threads on xda-developers but haven't tried anything out yet.

Are you rooted? If not, what firmware version, 2.1-update I suppose? Can you just install Nav Launcher from the Market and launch the new copy of Maps to add navigation features to the N1? If it was so easy, I would think I would have heard about this option much more frequently...

Not root, just ERE27.

All I did was search the Market for 'Nav Launcher' and everything else was straight forward.

When you launch it, it asks what version of Maps to use, standard or the Brut version. I picked the Brut version, which I didn't have installed, so it installed it for me (after making sure I had allowed non-market apps).

It really is easy, wish I'd known about it before

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links