What is the best Nav for this phone ?

This is a discussion on What is the best Nav for this phone ? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by picassolsus Mostly agree but Google navigation through maps *is* lacking compared to, for example, Tom Tom on iPhone: - No speed indicator ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Nav for this phone ?

Quote Originally Posted by picassolsus View Post
    Mostly agree but Google navigation through maps *is* lacking compared to, for example, Tom Tom on iPhone:

- No speed indicator
    - No day/night mode
    - No general trip summary or more than just the route- ie, distance countdown to destination, distance countdown to next waypoint/turn, etc.

It'll do in a pinch but it's not full featured by any means.
    -speed indicator? why would you be checking your tom tom when the speedometer is right in front of you?

-not sure about trip summary but there is a distance countdown to next points and turns.

Mostly agree but Google navigation through maps *is* lacking compared to, for example, Tom Tom on iPhone:

- No speed indicator
    - No day/night mode
    - No general trip summary or more than just the route- ie, distance countdown to destination, distance countdown to next waypoint/turn, etc.

It'll do in a pinch but it's not full featured by any means.
    dude google nav has day night mode...it's automatic. When it's dark out it uses night mode automatically without having to change it yourself, etc..

no general trip summary? you can look at your trip in MULTIPLE ways. first as a turn by turn list, second you can select route info and see an overall view of your trip/route from above. you can also use the terrain option which is another trip view of the map from above. you can use street view, and use street view for turn by turn directions. or even satellite view is another.

I agree google nav has no speed indicator, at least if it does i haven't found it.

I've used multiple nav solutions and I have not found one anywhere near as good as google nav. It's extremely powerful when you factor in it's search abilities and pairing with google maps. just today i was changing navigation points on the fly using voice and my buddy was just shocked.:D these were points that were not in my contacts, etc.. but points that the app searched and found by voice. the fact that it's free, well, if more people knew what it could do more people would be buying google nav equipped phones.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphieSpeaks View Post

-speed indicator? why would you be checking your tom tom when the speedometer is right in front of you?

-not sure about trip summary but there is a distance countdown to next points and turns.

Easy...not everyone's vehicle has an accurate or functional for that matter speedometer.

I'm talking about a distance countdown and time of arrival to final destination...I'd love this to be pointed out to me if I'm missing it?

Didn't realize day/night mode was there....

Easy...not everyone's vehicle has an accurate or functional for that matter speedometer.

I'm talking about a distance countdown and time of arrival to final destination...I'd love this to be pointed out to me if I'm missing it?

off the top of my head i cannot remember if the miles to point ticks down BUT the time until point(ETA) ticks down which is basically the same. actually now that I think about it, I'm almost sure the miles/distance to point ticks down live. I'll post back next time I use it. cannot remember for sure. I know it ticks down until your next turn.

if there is one legit knock on google nav, imo , it is the woman's voice. it sounds too much like a female steven hawking. google needs to go buy the rights to someone else's turn by turn female voice.:D

Another vote for the Nav app. If I had this phone before I bought my garmin, I would have saved some money!

On another note, Chicago is home for me and I went back to visit this last weekend. It works as well as my garmin did, but if you're in the loop it'll still get jacked up between the buildings like all GPSs.

Rooted Nexus One

And we all from out of USA (and without dataplan) can cry out loud for not having a decent GPS Nav program!
    Motonav from motorola works fine (its an iGo mutation!) but it's a bit larger than N1 screen, not a big problem, just hard to press the lowest button (start nav/ exit/ back).
    Waiting to see iGo for android being compatible with N1 completely (works at 1/4 of screen) and ofcourse Garmin!.
    Or well all these will do fine till N1 arrives officialy in Europe with Navigation working and (pray) with offline maps!

I'm not sure what you aren't looking at but the stock nav always tells me the distance to my next waypoint...

Try AndNav2 also...
    create Offline google maps using Atlas creator, put them in your SDcard, AndNav2 will read them and guides absed on GPS, No network connection required...

I agree with google navigation, Its awsome
    Follow me on Twitter
    www.twitter.com/dchandler326

Just a FYI, DO NOT PURCHASE Copilot Live 8.

I bought this thing last night its 6:30pm and i'm still trying to install a f'ing map!

i've called their support twice, uninstalled/reinstalled this thing several times.

North america maps is 1.6gigs and needs to go on your sd card. It will never download all the way whether using the PC interface or on the phone, it crashes half way or somewhere along the way.

the thing is a glitchy waste of money at least for sure on our phones.

save the money and avoid the stress.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links