Questions before trading my iPhone 3GS for a N1

This is a discussion on Questions before trading my iPhone 3GS for a N1 within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I have been tempted by this whole N1 craze for awhile and have been doing a little research here and there... I'll admit I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions before trading my iPhone 3GS for a N1

Post Questions before trading my iPhone 3GS for a N1

I have been tempted by this whole N1 craze for awhile and have been doing a little research here and there... I'll admit I have not done as much as I would like out of fear of an impulse buy

Here is my what I currently have:

16GB Jailbroken iPhone 3GS (none of that tethered boot garbage ) So, I already have multitasking and access to most of the features that the stock iPhone is lacking. I have a few apps that I use daily and are must haves if I make the switch to an N1. If anyone can help me find a very close replacement in the android market that they use and know not to be a buggy junker that would be VERY helpful.

I plan to root my N1 to allow for loading of apps to the SD card as going from 16GB of storage to 512mb makes me want to cry. Please feel free to warn me of any land mines to watch out for from rooting it

Must have apps:

1. RSS read (Newsstand on iPhone) I assume google's RRS reader replaces this...

2. Notebook and Ultimate Todo by Appigo(These todo and note taking apps sync to Toodledo and have a great amount of features for my todo list needs)

3. VIOP soft phone that connected to Asterisk PBX (Currently use iSIP)

4. Music identification app like Shazam for the iPhone

5. VNC client (This is a huge one as they just released REALvnc for the iPhone which is amazing and supports all the security features most other mobile vnc clients do not support.)

6. Car gas and repair tracking app (Currently using Road Trip which is a great little app to track my MPG and such.)

7. Password database app (Currently use SplashID and it is pretty simple yet effective AND offers syncing to a desktop client for an extra backup.

Now I use other apps sure, but off the top of my head those are my deal breaker apps that would stop me from making the switch. Please reply even if you only have suggestions for 1 or 2 of my apps and I know my post is pretty long winded

Must Have Features:

I need the ability to connect to WPA2 Enterprise access networks. I also, need to be able to connect to my VPN. I would favor security better than PPTP, but I will take what I can get so long as it rock stable as I need to be able to VPN into my network and check my security camera feeds.

Thank you in advance for any help on my decision to switch phone. I have been searching the forum and have yet to find anything that 100% fit my info needs.

-Brann

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I can tell you Shazam is available.. it was the first app that I installed (I'm also coming from a 3gs).. I cannot comment on the others.
    But you can search what's available here:

AndroidZoom.com - Browse the Android Market and download all available applications and games

Don't do it. The Iphone is better.

Check your personal messages!

Quote Originally Posted by tunisiano32 View Post
    Any reasons to support this? I wanna do my homework and then some, but honestly the only thing I can see the N1 losing to my 3GS is the available apps. Hardware wise it seems to just destroy the 3GS across the board plus there is flash support

It is just like switching from windows to linux on your desktop/laptop. It is a cleaner and better system BUT! does it have the day to day apps you even own the device for in the first place. You could have the best hardware and OS in the world, but if the apps as not there to get your day to day stuff done what is the point.

My friend was showing me his jail broken iphone yesterday. A lot of the stuff he was showing off to me that it could now do, a non-rooted nexus one could already do. So worry not my friend. I think maybe not immediately but once you get to know your phone inside out, you will really appreciate its a good phone. Then when you decide to root it, it will just blow you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Brann View Post
    Any reasons to support this? I wanna do my homework and then some, but honestly the only thing I can see the N1 losing to my 3GS is the available apps. Hardware wise it seems to just destroy the 3GS across the board plus there is flash support

It is just like switching from windows to linux on your desktop/laptop. It is a cleaner and better system BUT! does it have the day to day apps you even own the device for in the first place. You could have the best hardware and OS in the world, but if the apps as not there to get your day to day stuff done what is the point.

1- Music experience is bad in N1
    2- External speaker is rubbish
    3- the Touch screen is not as responsive as the Iphone
    4- I still didn't find an good app to watch my Video podcast
    5- lots of pb with the 3G
    6- the sound is so low in N1

Check the support and see all the pbs there.

Good luck, I'm selling my N1 for $500 if you are interested.

I have been reading about the 3g and screen issues on the forum and it seems like the screen problem comes down to having a defective phone. The people in the thread complaining about it RMA'ed phones and the problem went away.

As far as the 3g is that just a t-mobile issue? I would be going with AT&T for my service. I figure even if it does turn out to happen on AT&T it looks like a software issue based on a thread I found which showed the android meter registering 3g signal just fine and at the same strength as edge. The OS just decided not to switch to 3g over edge for some retarded buggy reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Brann View Post

1- Music experience is bad in N1
    2- External speaker is rubbish
    3- the Touch screen is not as responsive as the Iphone
    4- I still didn't find an good app to watch my Video podcast
    5- lots of pb with the 3G
    6- the sound is so low in N1

Check the support and see all the pbs there.

Good luck, I'm selling my N1 for $500 if you are interested.
    I have to agree about the external speaker and low audio output. Living in NYC i wish i could get the sound louder as occasionally i'm on an extremely noisy train and can't listen to a podcast. But this is remedied with even passive noise canceling headphones and in all honesty is probably better for me in the long run.

I've only had slight touchscreen issues that lasted less than 10 seconds at most. Annoying, but the 20 seconds over the past month i had to deal with the issue doesn't mean the entire phone is garbage.

Obviously you were happier with your iphone which is better for your uses but not everyone will feel the same way.

Yah like the iPhone has a loud speaker..
    Froyo 2.2 Stock
    RA-nexus-v1.7.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links