New N1 user / convert from iPhone 3GS

This is a discussion on New N1 user / convert from iPhone 3GS within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I read this forum for about three hours or so, and did not find a comparo the way I like them, so I thought I'd ...

Thread: New N1 user / convert from iPhone 3GS

New N1 user / convert from iPhone 3GS

I read this forum for about three hours or so, and did not find a comparo the way I like them, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I'm an ATT customer, and recently bought the ATT N1. I too was a "jailbreak" user of the iPhone, so it did most of what I wanted. I was just board, and tired of Job's snobby attitude about stuff. Here is what I think:

Things I like about the Nexus One:

Widgets Ė small programs on the desktop that are cool.
    Locking Pattern Ė 3 x 3 grid on the lock screen. Swipe a pattern of your choosing to unlock the phone. Opens as easy as a swipe, but with security.
    Awesome Gmail and Google product integration.
    Turn by turn GPS stock w/satellite and street view at corners.
    Text to speech in any text window, with surprising accuracy.
    Live Wallpaper
    Services switching as a widget (toogle wifi, brightness, sound, Bluetooth, etc.)
    Free profile app to auto switch the above when you want it to.
    $10 tethering app
    Higher resolution screen.
    Fun UI
    Status bar notification of messages.
    Blinking trackball showing messages are waiting.
    Excellent app switcher / message shortcuts
    Awesome weather app
    User replaceable battery and memory card.
    Buy iSyncr and you can still sync with iTunes
    Slim size with soft feel case doesnít feel like youíre going to drop it at any moment.
    Create your own direct dial icons and shortcuts
    Google lets you Hack the Phone is you want to, and will even help you do it, but this voids the warranty (rooting)
    Install apps from their Marketplace, or from any other site you want to
    Charges through USB even when computer is off.
    Vibrating tactile feel to pushing buttons.
    5 MP camera, with stock settings to do effects
    Camera has a flash!
    Noise cancelling during normal calling.
    Multitasking
    Much more customizable out of box.

Things I donít like:

Browser apps are not as polished.
    Music and movies app are okay, but not nearly as polished.
    Soft buttons at the bottom are sometimes difficult to press.
    Sometimes the screen does not seem as responsive.
    No home buttom (Itís a soft key)
    Roller ball is okay, but could be better / more sensitive.
    Power button is on the other side (top left), so I keep trying to turn it off like an iphone
    Keyboard is okay, but not as good as apple. Some people load third party keyboards and like themÖhavenít tried yet.
    Speaker is loud, but not as good quality
    Speaker is on back
    Camera is not flush with back of phone.
    OS is less fluid

Just my thoughts after a few days use...

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Here is a very nice keyboard.
    app recommendation

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Haven't tried to install stuff outside the marketplace yet...

chomp sms has the same exact keyboard as the iphone along with the bubbles as the iphone plus you can 100% customize it. (comes exactly the same as the iphone but customizable)
    if you root it you can change trackball colors, have it wake your phone, install apps2sd card and much more
    dowload weather widgets also the paid version. it has awesome animations(ex if it's raining, rain drops appear on the screen then a windshield wiper wipes them away)
    there's also a way to get the htc sense music player which is just like the iphone's and you don't even need to download all of the htc sense (modaco's rom=rooted rom) here's that website 23/Mar Alpha 19 - MoDaCo Custom ROM with HTC Sense (Desire ROM) - A18: Desire doesn't have this! - Android @ MoDaCo (it's not on the top of page were you choose options and you must root to do this)

Thanks! I have read a few posts about rooting, and the only part that seems interesting, so far, is the possibility of using more RAM for the OS. Seems like that would wake up the phone a lot.

I appreciate the keyboard suggestions. The mere fact that you can modify it, speaks volumes compared to the closed thinking of the Apple product.

I am enjoying the phone, and no regrests spending the money. I'll wait until I get a little bored and then move into the "rooted" realm...

yea once the verizon version comes out and i finally get it, i'm going to root after a few days. also flash is coming to the nexus one very soon, and a major os update is supposed to come the first half of 2010. there's so many exciting improvements to look forward to.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links