Going to Europe...have some questions

This is a discussion on Going to Europe...have some questions within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello! The problem of purchasing the phone from Google and not the cellular store is there is NO help. Normally, I would just go into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Europe...have some questions

Wink Going to Europe...have some questions

Hello!

The problem of purchasing the phone from Google and not the cellular store is there is NO help. Normally, I would just go into the store and ask for help and they would be happy to do so. NO MORE...I am told you bought this phone from Google-go to Google for help. Where is Google...oh yea...in Google land!!

I am going to Europe for a few weeks and have some questions. I am hoping for some help...plllleeeease!!

1. Are my contacts stored in my phone or on my sim card...how can I tell?

2. I bought a 16GB card to replace the standard 4GB in anticipation of lots of picture and video taking...what do I need to do to swap out cards so I don't lose anything? I have no idea what is on the card...I am technically challenged in case you haven't guessed by now!! LOL! Please walk me through this.

3. I will be getting unlimited data sim card for my travels...anyone familiar with the Wind - "no stop internet" for unlimited data abroad?? Or... how about the iphonetrip.com for the same - unlimited data plan?

4. Anyone know about Fring or Voip??...I need help

Thanks in advance
    marzano4u@gmail.com

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Alright, since you're technically challenged, I'll try to be as clear and concise as possible! Here's the nitty gritty...
    __________________________________________________ ___________

1. Your contacts/calendar are stored in the google-land "cloud" and sync'ed with a database in the internal memory of your phone (not on the SIM). If this is a new SIM that came with the phone, the only "contacts" resident on your SIM card are those placed there by T-Mobile. If this is a SIM you used in a previous phone, there may be contacts from your old phone stored there as well. You can check this by going to:

Contacts > Settings > Import/Export > Import from SIM card

You'll now see a list of all the contacts currently stored on the SIM card...again, if this is a brand new SIM that came with your N1, you see the only "contacts" stored on the SIM card are T-Mobile numbers. Either way, there's nothing to be concerned with here. Use the back button to exit.

Also, in the previous import/export menu you'll also see that you have the option to export your contacts to the SD card...if you feel more comfortable having a backup before installing the European SIM, do so. Honestly, I think this is probably unnecessary. However, if for some unknown reason you get overseas, lose your contacts on the phone (unlikely), and can't sync to google-land (also unlikely), I suppose this would be valuable...you could just use the import from SD card option to get them back.

2. If you haven't put things on the SD card yourself (i.e. music, videos, etc), the only things that are going to be on there are files from any apps you use, cache, and photos you've already shot. The easiest way to access this stuff and back it up is to to plug your N1 into a computer and mount the card. If this is the first time you've done this, it may take a few moments for your computer to "discover" your Nexus One. When your computer says the device is ready to use, do the following:

a) pull down the notification bar on your phone, touch the USB connected item, and select Mount. Your SD card will now show up on the computer as a "Removable Disk"...the drive letter will vary from computer to computer. Open that drive and if you see a "Android" directory, you're in the right place...remember this drive letter for later use.

b)make a new folder on your computer desktop, then select everything on the N1 drive and copy the contents to the new folder on your desktop. Again, if you haven't already put music and other stuff on there, this shouldn't take long.

c)For this part, I'm going to assume you're running windows...go back to "My Computer", right-click on the N1's removable disk (the drive letter you remembered from before) and select Eject. Go back to the phone, pull down the notification bar, touch the USB connected item, only this time select Turn Off.

OK, we're all backed up and dismounted.

d)Now, turn off the phone, pull off the back battery cover, and remove battery. The card to the left is your SD card...to the right, your SIM card. Press down on the SD card (left one) until you hear it click then release. It will pop up to where you can pull it out. Replace with your new 16gb SD card and press down until it clicks. Replace the battery and the cover and turn the phone on if it doesn't come on by itself.

e)After the phone boots up, go to Settings > Sd card and phone storage. Then select Unmount SD card, then Format SD card, and remount the card if it doesn't automatically. Your new card is all ready to use now.

f) repeat step a to mount that card on your computer.

g) copy all those files from your temporary directory back on to the new card.

h) repeat step c to dismount the card from your computer.

And, you're done! Easy breezy, right? By the way, you can use steps a & c to to copy any files you'd like to the sd card...like music, videos, images, etc.

3. I am unfamiliar with this product, sorry! I'm heading to Ireland in May and I think the only carrier option there is O2. I'm planning on just getting a prepaid card directly from them...

4. Again, I've never used VOIP, so I can't really help...more android clients that support VOIP can be found here:
    Android VoIP Apps: The Best Softphones For Android Phones | VoIP Sol
    or
    Android VOIP - voip-info.org

Finally, in case you didn't know, you need to have T-Mobile account at least 90 days in good standing to get them to unlock your phone for use abroad. Just dial 611 from your phone or call 1-877-453-1304 to get unlock info.

Member 695

Member 695...Thanks so much!! I printed out the instructions and as soon as my new SD card arrives, I'll give it a go! Easy breezy...hmmm...don't know about that...if I don't get errors then yes...I'll let you know!!

Not sure if I have to call T Mobile...I purchased an UNlocked ($529) phone and have service with NO contract with T-Mobile...will they still need to get involved?

I will also check out the links you sent me.

Thanks again.

NP...glad to help! Sorry if I got a little long winded there...it's quite an exercise to do this the first time, but really simple once you get the hang of it. Especially, when you start filling up that 16gb card with media. You'll be able to do it in your sleep before too long!

Quote Originally Posted by marzano4u View Post
    Not sure if I have to call T Mobile...I purchased an UNlocked ($529) phone and have service with NO contract with T-Mobile...will they still need to get involved?
    Probably not, but since your current service is with them it wouldn't hurt to call them to verify...you may still need to have a account for 90 days and in good standing. I'd call them; 5 minutes now may save a lot of headaches down the road.

Also, look here for other regional European and global SIM card options:
    Prepaid SIM Cards

best of luck!

I just got back from China and maybe I can give you some pointers....

The FIRST thing you need to do is download APNdroid. This is critical. You will get MASSIVE data bills from international roaming if you don't turn off data. The phone part will still work but you won't use Edge/3G. The downside is you're stuck to finding wifi points if you want email / data.

You can also download Netcounter just to check what the usage is.

Using Skype you can make dirt cheap calls via skypeout. I added $10 to my account and at the end of my week I still had over $5 left and I called home quite a bit.

You can use Fring via wifi and connect it to you skype account but the call quality is very poor. I was able to use it when I had good wifi access points however.

The GPS will work but it's somewhat limited for use since you don't have live access to maps.

Another option would be to buy a prepaid sim card once you get there that has a data plan attached. This will get you a European phone number and data however I have no idea the cost... I was content with wifi.

some european operators don't allow voip protocol, for instance Vodafone italy locks voip tool on mobile devices.

be carefull....

What country are you going to in Europe?

If the UK/Ireland, check out 3 mobile and go into one of their stores and buy a SIM card from them. I was there a few weeks ago and simply bought a 3 mobile SIM Card(Think cheapest you can add is 15 pounds instore) popped it into my acer liquid(another android phone similar to the nexus one) and had data(about 250MB i believe) and voice services(300 minutes). I was in Southern France and Northern France roaming with my 3 mobile SIM using data. I personally rarely used any minutes.

If you don't want to add 15 pounds just buy the SIM card from 3 and top it up @ a local store(some drug store cant' remember it's name). Also, don't buy the sim card and try to add money to it online as the website won't accept your american credit card.

I wouldn't even bring your ATT/TMOBILE SIM with you abroad.

Italy

I will be in Italy, Switzerland and France.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marzano4u View Post
    I will be in Italy, Switzerland and France.

Thanks
    wind italy is good for voip protocol

unlimited data usage isn't covered for use outside your country normally

I'm working abroad in poland (europe) at the moment, and O2 would charge me 6/meg to use data roaming! (An N1 can manage a lot more than this very easily)

Make sure data roaming is turned off in the settings. It may be worth getting a sim card from the country you are going to.

I use my O2 sim, and connect to the wifi at my hotel and work. Many restaurants also offer free wifi. I also use Rmaps, and created maps of all the areas I will be in, for a course world atlas, and a couple of detailed city maps this came to about 300megs. Also useful for when you are in areas with no phone reception (trekking or camping)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links