Power (Wake) Button Usability Question

This is a discussion on Power (Wake) Button Usability Question within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Current iPhone owner thinking about making the switch to the Verizon Nexus One. I have a concern about the usability of the power (wake) button ...

Thread: Power (Wake) Button Usability Question

Power (Wake) Button Usability Question

Current iPhone owner thinking about making the switch to the Verizon Nexus One. I have a concern about the usability of the power (wake) button on the top left of the Nexus One that I haven't heard anyone else mention so perhaps it isn't as big of an issue as I anticipate. Basically my concern is that the hand position and motion required to wake the device using that button is not the same position you want your hand to be in to use the phone. For example, with the iPhone I wake my device with the bottom "home" button that is on the face of the device and then I can very quickly just move my thumb up to swipe-to-unlock without having to reposition the phone. It seems like this would not be possible with the Nexus One given that there isn't a wake button on the face of the phone near the bottom.

I'd really love to hear from current Nexus One owners. Is this not the usability issue that I am making it out to be? Do you just adjust and find a new way of quickly waking and then swiping to unlock the phone that is just as comfortable and efficient as with the iPhone? If so, what do you do?

A bit troubled by this....

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

if you root it (iphone equivalent of jail breaking) you can make it so the trackball wakes the phone, lights up colors and so much more.

Right, right. I was aware of that. But I don't want to root the phone. So I am still curious to hear about the usability of using the top power button to wake the phone.

I never really had an issue with it.

I normally just hold the phone in my right and and press the power button with my left index finger.

If I'm too lazy to do that I cradle the phone in my right hand and press the button with my right index then reposition the phone to swipe the unlock.

It's not as tricky as you'd think

I've just come from a 3G and this hasn't been an issue for me.

okay...thanks for the feedback...I'll stop fretting.

There's apps out there that will add the "Wake with trackball" function without rooting. One of them being flyscreen, but there's more out there.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links