Apple Tastes Own Medicine, Gets Sued For Multi-Touch

This is a discussion on Apple Tastes Own Medicine, Gets Sued For Multi-Touch within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by lionsson Yes this is true I read several stories last Tuesday about this. And from what I read the ITC complaint is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple Tastes Own Medicine, Gets Sued For Multi-Touch

Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    Yes this is true I read several stories last Tuesday about this. And from what I read the ITC complaint is an extension of a April 2009 lawsuit filed by Elan against Apple. In that complaint, Elan says that Apple “has been on notice” since early 2007 of the patent violation and continues to utilize it without authorization. Apple, in a legal response filed in October, denied the allegationsan. Microelectronics filed a complaint with the International Trade Commission Tuesday, accusing Apple of violating an Elan-owned patent that covers touch-sensitive input devices with the ability to detect the simultaneous presence of two or more fingers. Elan claims the iPhone, iPod Touch, MacBook, and Magic Mouse are in violation of Elan's patent 5,825,352, which was first awarded to Logitech but is now owned by Elan, Elan has asked the ITC to ban the import of all five devices into the U.S. The chipmaker has had some success defending this same patent before. In 2008, it sued Synaptics in U.S. District Court and several Synaptics touch-sensitive products were found to be in violation of Elan's patent In the end, the two companies agreed on a licensing deal.
    Anything that will take money out of Apple's pocket is good by me.
    Bought the AT&T N1.

The lawsuit is similar to one that Elan filed against Apple with the U.S District Court last year, but in a different venue. In the District Court case, Elan seeks triple damages and a“reasonable royalty,” but the ITC's arguably a more severe action than US District Court and is seeking to ban Apple's products. Elan is exploiting a loophole that essentially lets firms sue twice on a single patent. Apple used the same tactics its patent awsuit against HTC, filing with both the ITC and the U.S. District Court.

I think if Apple looses the battle, then*Steve jobs have no options left but to*enter a licensing deal with Elan.

And you know what weird about this story, both Elan Microelectronics and HTC are Taiwan based companies.

And you know what weird about this story, both Elan Microelectronics and HTC are Taiwan based companies.
    Sounds like they are working together to me...ha
    Bought the AT&T N1.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeisber View Post
    (In a really bad Taiwan accent) "Apel, u fuk wid my brotha, I fuk wid u! We tun u into apel sauce!"
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeisber View Post
    (In a really bad Taiwan accent) "Apel, u fuk wid my brotha, I fuk wid u! We tun u into apel sauce!"
    haha:rofl3:
    Bought the AT&T N1.

*dead* @ apple sauce haha

Apple also is embroiled in a patent dispute with Nokia, the world’s largest maker of al types of mobile phones. Each has accused the other of infringing patents, and the ITC is investigating complaints that could result in import bans

For years, patents have been a way of life for technology companies, which amassed them as a defense against competitors. There have been eras of heavy litigation such as during the early personal computer years and occasional clashes of behemoths such as Intel vs. AMD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links