Bluetooth voice dialing

This is a discussion on Bluetooth voice dialing within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I see this discussion covered numerous times over @ the Droid forums, but since I am buying a Nexus 1 as soon as its released ...

Thread: Bluetooth voice dialing

Question Bluetooth voice dialing

I see this discussion covered numerous times over @ the Droid forums, but since I am buying a Nexus 1 as soon as its released (Verizon) I need to know.

I searched and couldn't find this.

Does the Nexus 1 support Bluetooth voice dialing?

I have heard numerous times that the Droid will finally get it when it gets 2.1... but I don't think this is true?

If the Nexus 1 doesn't... when is it coming? This is a feature on a $10 phone.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Sorry. No bluetooth dialing on any android phone. Blame Google.

T&C
    They have it blocked like iPhone...

Thumbs up

What is Google's deal with this?

Is this something in the bluetooth stack, a hardware limitation, firmware limitation, OS version limitation?

I can't believe how much I missed this when I had the Droid for a few months.

Being able to push the button on your bluetooth handset or speakerphone and say "Call Home" or "Call 555-555-555" is so much easier than fumbling for your phone, unlocking the screen and initiating the call from it while barreling down the interstate at 80mph.

I also can't believe Goggle is able to not implement this with all the hands free laws.... especially since they are based out of CA!

This is def. most odd.

OS limitation. Its not hardware, the bluetooth firmware or stack. Its all the OS issue. The problem with voice dialing is that the way Google handles voice search, voice to text etc is to pass the info on to Google's servers and then return results. This is why it requires a data connection to do voice search etc. Most phones that have bluetooth voice dialing actually have built in software for recognizing and parsing names and numbers. Google's emphasis is for everything to be in the cloud so they of course left this out until they can figure out how to initiate a data connection, parse your voice and then return results all from pushing your bluetooth button.
    Unfortunately, Google's attitude is that this is a medium level priority. It also has the attitude that refining the OS is not as great as adding new features. You can see that as an issue with the entire corporation. New gee-whiz features win out every time over refinements. Apple on the other hand takes a "few perfect features" and leave the gee-whiz to others approach. This is why the iphone took months for cut & Paste, MMS etc to appear. It is also why it takes 2 presses to update all your apps that need updating on an iphone but 4 presses per application to do the same on on Android.
    Once again (and despite the fact that I own a Nexus One), this is why Apple always wins. Case in point, more people will buy the $499 iPad despite its limitations than a Kindle or even the netbooks that are out there. Why? EASE OF USE TRIUMPHS OVER GEE-WHIZ EVERY TIME! Techies need to stop thinking like techies and think like ordinary people. Why isn't Linux the predominant OS of the world? Its too bloody hard to install, use and run. Macs just work. Say what you want about them, Apple spend tonnes of money making their products so simple my 4 year old twins know how to work my ipod touch, without me teaching them! Show me a laptop that can be operated by a 4 year old. They won't even look at my netbook. Most people have difficulty figuring out how to make a phone call on the Nexus One. I've been in the tech industry for 25 years as a hard core techie and I had a hard time with the phone. I almost went back to my blackberry.
    Sorry for the long run-on-diatribe. It just pisses me off that Google, Microsoft and others don't get it. They really just don't get it.

I have been in the tech "industry" with technology for over 18 years.

I am still trying to wrap my mind why google would leave features off their killer phones when these features are readily available on $10.00 or even FREE phones.

In my opinion ALL features from cheapy phones should be included in a super smart phone.

I thought the inclusion of copy/paste on the iPhone was a no brainer, but apparanty Apple though otherwise.

I just don't understand what goes through the developers minds when they leave such simple or such widely used features off these phones that seem so simple to implement.... or at least so simple that a $10 phone can have it!

The lack of Bluetooth Dialing for the Droid/Android phones is a very hot topic on the internet... I only hope that Google/HTC/Motorola listens, cause this is ridiculous!

The phone got closer on 2.1 you DO have a one push voice call (for that matter the voice 'dial' will also pull up any app or anything you say with your voice as a command.
    This just isn't synced with bluetooth yet. Yes cheap phones can do it, after you programed them all into your phone. Googles voice recognition program is really good. the bluetooth part will follow, especially because its a really big issue. However, the problem is there ARE other issues, and if they can't get worked out before updates they will keep falling behind. As much as this seems would seem a priority for a big majority, things like touchscreen issues are a problem for almost everybody.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Let's not even begin to discuss the incredible touch screen issues. WTH!!! Its a $549 phone and you can't get the touch screen to work properly half the time! It annoys the living daylights out of me. Once again, Apple wins. Has any heard of Iphone touch screen issues??

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links