iPhone user considering the N1

This is a discussion on iPhone user considering the N1 within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hey guys, I'm, considering the N1 but as I ponder this question I'd to get opinions of others on this subject. Basically - why should ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone user considering the N1

iPhone user considering the N1

Hey guys, I'm, considering the N1 but as I ponder this question I'd to get opinions of others on this subject.

Basically - why should I switch to the N1 - what advantages does the N1 have over the iPhone that would convince me to switch.

I've been doing a fair bit of research and the what I've found that the iPhone has some hardware advantages and disadvantages, as does the Nexus One.

I've read that the N1's screen is excellent, battery life is good, but the touch screen is less then accurate then the iPhone. The iPhone's hardware is dated though a refresh is due at the end of June of rumors are correct.

So all things being equal, the deciding factors are more on the software then hardware

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'll throw one in...

A nexus one = jail broken iphone. In terms of multi touch and other basic things like your contacts picture in the messaging app.

I had an iPhone 3g and loved it. I then switched to T-mobile. I just recently bought the N1 and had heard the rumours that an iPhone might come to T-mobile. I figured i'd probably sell the N1 and get an iPhone because I just seemed to like the iPhone better. After a week of having the N1, I love it and it would be a hard decision on which phone to have.

Advantage of iPhone for me is that all my music is through iTunes, so it's nice to have my ipod and iphone be the same device. The Android music app is fine, but i prefer Apple's.

The touchscreen is a little better on the iPhone, but it's really only noticeable when typing and I found a keyboard in the market called Smart Keyboard Pro that has a proximity-like keyboard that works great.

Quote Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
    Hey guys, I'm, considering the N1 but as I ponder this question I'd to get opinions of others on this subject.

Basically - why should I switch to the N1 - what advantages does the N1 have over the iPhone that would convince me to switch.

I've been doing a fair bit of research and the what I've found that the iPhone has some hardware advantages and disadvantages, as does the Nexus One.

I've read that the N1's screen is excellent, battery life is good, but the touch screen is less then accurate then the iPhone. The iPhone's hardware is dated though a refresh is due at the end of June of rumors are correct.

So all things being equal, the deciding factors are more on the software then hardware
    Remember a new iPhone is coming out this summer.

The N1 offers a better screen and slightly better battery life. The keyboard is almost as good as iPhone. An advantage is the notification bar at the top. Android syncs with Google services the best.

If I was at AT&T and not leaving, I would wait to see what iPhone has to offer with their iPhone HD coming this summer.
    Nexus S
    HTC HD7
    Galaxy Tab

I switched from an iPhone 3g to the Nexus One and haven't gone back since.

There are about three apps I miss from my iPhone but that's it.

The Nexus one has nearly double the resolution of the iPhone's screen.

The AMOLED display blows the iPhone's out of the water.

The Nexus one is WAY faster than the iPhone in almost everything including web browsing.

Yes the touchscreen is slightly less accurate but also remember it's covering DOUBLE the resolution.

The voice-to-text on the Nexus One destroys the iPhone.

Multi-tasking, widgets, live wallpaper, support for 3rd party apps, 'nough said.

The navigation on the Nexus One is superior that ANY navigation out there, including stand-alone devices.

I could go on for hours....Just buy the damn N1 already!

For me, widgets are the big advantage. The web/phone interface is redefining how we access our information and on the N1 you don't even have to open the app to get you information. It comes in on your homescreen.

I also wouldn't worry about the music, 3rd party apps make up for the standard player. Check 3 (search for rockon in the market). Awesome sound and graphics.

What they said....

Quote Originally Posted by golferben View Post
    I also wouldn't worry about the music, 3rd party apps make up for the standard player. Check 3 (search for rockon in the market). Awesome sound and graphics.
    Despite never using iTunes/iPod/iPhone, I can understand why folks would by put off of the music capability, since it's not as 'seemless' as that ecosystem. I can tell you however, there are distinct advantages to having CHOICE, and it will get better as open-source geeks begin to make inroads, much like the Subsonic app: sonic ubiquity for your entire collection.

Having thought about it a bit more I realised that the choice to go for an N1 is easy if it fits your needs. Since it has been released all the focus has been on how it compares to the iphone. Understandable as apple set a high bar with many features such as the apps, the graphical physics and ease of use. The n1 more or less matches them and comparing many of these features doesn't get you far. They both are fantastic bits of hardware, great screens, amazing computing power, touchscreens etc. In some ways the N1 performs a bit better in others the iphone but the differences between them are small.

However I think the N1 has gone to a new level with features the iphone simply hasn't got. I don't have to open an app to access the information I want. My calender, agenda, weather, news, daily Bible reading, personal photo's, music player (and playlists) one touch dialling to favourite contacts (and many other thing I don't use) all run on my home pages. And here's where it moves mobile information on; all these widgets update automatically and wirelessly. I don't have to plug my phone into my computer to update my agenda, it happen without hassle right onto my homescreen. Furthermore these services are free - and yes I did pay for mobile me and no its not worth it.

Bottom line is that both the iphone and the N1 are great bits of kit, you won't notice many gains in function between either hardware as far as I can tell but the software has moved on from simply apps. Unfortunately the press just focus on the things that you can compare but the how can you compare widget on a N1 to nothing on the iphone? The N1 is in a different class to the iphone because it does things the iphone can't dream of doing, try to keep up apple!

Quote Originally Posted by golferben View Post
    Having thought about it a bit more I realised that the choice to go for an N1 is easy if it fits your needs. Since it has been released all the focus has been on how it compares to the iphone. Understandable as apple set a high bar with many features such as the apps, the graphical physics and ease of use. The n1 more or less matches them and comparing many of these features doesn't get you far. They both are fantastic bits of hardware, great screens, amazing computing power, touchscreens etc. In some ways the N1 performs a bit better in others the iphone but the differences between them are small.

However I think the N1 has gone to a new level with features the iphone simply hasn't got. I don't have to open an app to access the information I want. My calender, agenda, weather, news, daily Bible reading, personal photo's, music player (and playlists) one touch dialling to favourite contacts (and many other thing I don't use) all run on my home pages. And here's where it moves mobile information on; all these widgets update automatically and wirelessly. I don't have to plug my phone into my computer to update my agenda, it happen without hassle right onto my homescreen. Furthermore these services are free - and yes I did pay for mobile me and no its not worth it.

Bottom line is that both the iphone and the N1 are great bits of kit, you won't notice many gains in function between either hardware as far as I can tell but the software has moved on from simply apps. Unfortunately the press just focus on the things that you can compare but the how can you compare widget on a N1 to nothing on the iphone? The N1 is in a different class to the iphone because it does things the iphone can't dream of doing, try to keep up apple!
    Reasonable assessment. iPhone cannot do TTS turn-by-turn nav, afaik. 4G should have multi-tasking, but Jobs is still on the lockdown bent, so I think it still won't have the capability many iPhone users want and get with Android. The line is clearly drawn...it's like being single (Android), or settled in marriage (iPhone). :rofl3:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links