It's better not go for contract to save money

This is a discussion on It's better not go for contract to save money within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Buying the unlocked version from google is the cheapest solution to get N1. Why? T-mobile 2 years contract: 179(N1) + 79.99 x 24 = 2086.76 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's better not go for contract to save money

It's better not go for contract to save money

Buying the unlocked version from google is the cheapest solution to get N1.

Why?

T-mobile 2 years contract:
    179(N1) + 79.99 x 24 = 2086.76

Buying a phone from google and go for the cheapest even more plus plan
    529 + 59.99 x 24 = 1968.76

You got the same service !!! 500 talk minutes. Unlimited nights and weekends. Unlimited T-Mobile to T-Mobile minutes. Unlimited domestic messaging including SMS, MMS, IM. Android Unlimited Web.

Even if you get an AT&T unlocked version, it's still cheaper then T-mobile 2 years contract.

529 + (39.99 + 15(unlimited data) + 5 (200 texts))x24 = 1968.76

And the best thing is if you don't need the service anymore. Unsubscribe it!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

as far as i know at&t requires you to have a smartphone internet plan which is $30 dollars a month.

If you get the data plan from AT&T for $10/$15 you may get a surprise down the road when they will start charging you $30.

Otherwise if don't want or need data, they will not impose the plan on you. They're not even doing it with iphones. You can have an iphone on their network without a data plan, given the iphone is jailbroken.

first off compare apples to apples. Both companies data plans are $30 for smartphones.

Second you are comparing UNLIMITED text to 200 texts. You know how freaking off that is? If you IM and text on your phone, you will go through 200 pretty easy, i go through 200 a week. These count incoming text and IM too

Third- if you are smart and get a contract through t-mobile you can actually set your phone up as a MyTouch. You get $5 off the data plan, and can save another $10 a month if you don't need unlimited text just 250 or 500.
    That is even more savings.

Either way thats WAY more upfront money to save a little in the end.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob633 View Post
    as far as i know at&t requires you to have a smartphone internet plan which is $30 dollars a month.
    No this is not correct because I'm on AT&T with an unlocked N1 and I still pay $15/month for unlimited internet. Did the same thing with my last phone (Nokia N95). Just go online and add the general internet or whatever its called. If they try to change it, just threaten to leave AT&T. Or, better yet, just leave AT&T

Old news.. nothing new..

that 200 text for $5 is a really old att plan and no longer offered. also, no one cares b/c this has been mentioned before and is old news

If anyone's in Germany I think the deal I just got is hard to beat, from O2. It cost nothing to sign up, costs nothing per month for the phone number, has no contract. I only pay for the outgoing calls per-call (12 cents per minute) and outgoing texts are 12 cents each. Incoming calls and incoming texts are free. The internet side of things is €8.50 per month (about $11) for unlimited 3G (HSDPA). I don't make many outgoing calls while I'm out, and I can use IM from ebuddy for free.

Well, let me clarify what am I talking.

If you got your unlocked T-mobile N1, you can go to subscribe the t-mobile cheapest "even more plus plan 500" without signing 2yrs contract.

Unsupported Browser

It's the same service as the 79.99 "even more 500" contract. You safe 20 bucks per month. For 2 years that is 480 bucks. Although you pay more (350+) to get the unlocked phone but for long term you safe much more than signing the contract.

I know it is not fair to compare with AT&T. But do I really need the unlimited sms package? I use my google voice number to send the "FREE" sms. The 200 texts package is just for preventing someone keep sending me msgs to my original number.

And I have no idea why my data plan rate will raise up to 30 bucks per month. As long as you are not signing any contract with AT&T for data plan. You can choose what you want and cacel it any time. There is a 15 bucks unlimited data plan on there website. If they raise your bill, you can go to argue them with the page. (30 bucks is for unlimited data & texts. I just don't need the texts.)

@ nightspirit - yup, you're correct. Buying the stand alone phone is a lot cheaper in the long run, plus you're not locked into a contract. Besides early termination fees (if that does come into play at some point) being in a contract has other negative restrictions, like not being allowed to upgrade phones when you want.

I tried the N1 on At&T with the $15 data plan and it didn't work. Had 2g for phone calls, but even after talking w/ AT&T CS browsering web and email didn't work. Changed to the $59 T-Mo plan and everything worked instantly, even got the $35 set-up fee waved plus $15 off the 1st month 'cause I belong to AAA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links