Autocorrect Annoyances

This is a discussion on Autocorrect Annoyances within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I've been using my phone for a bit now... and have something that's STILL bothering me. I make liberal use of the spelling suggestions and ...

Thread: Autocorrect Annoyances

Autocorrect Annoyances

I've been using my phone for a bit now... and have something that's STILL bothering me. I make liberal use of the spelling suggestions and autocorrect features (read: I don't type accurately at all). My problem is that if I'm in the middle of a sentence, so shift is OFF, and I type something like "erll," it wants to autocorrect to "Well," not "well." I don't understand why it wants to capitalize it, but it lists the following words under the text area: [erll, Well, well, we'll, sell, dell, ...] Why is it listing the capitalized word BEFORE the lowercase word when shift is off? It also does it for the word you. tou autocorrects to You instead of you. There are others that I can't think of at the moment, but this is driving me insane. Is there anyone else with this problem, or is there a way to fix it?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You are using default stock keyboard? You gotta poke around in the settings of the keyboard. Turning off AutoCaps might fix this?

or you can try the HTC IME keyboard, which has a VERY VERY accurate dictionary and autocorrect!
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Yes, it's the stock keyboard. AutoCaps shouldn't fix it, because the shift key is functioning as it's supposed to. I'm no Android expert, but if I were to guess, I'd say the two cases of You and you are listed as separate words in the suggestions dictionary, and for some reason the uppercase tense one shouldn't exist. For example, at the start of a sentence, if you have the shift key pressed (one letter, not capslock) the word at the far left, which is JUST the letters you have typed so far, is the only one with an initial capital letter. The rest of the suggestions are listed in entirely lowercase, and if you select one, when it jumps up into the text editing box, it's automatically set to the correct case, where the initial letter is capitalized. This makes me think that all of the suggestions should be lowercase. Additionally, why would you need two entries in the dictionary for the same word?

I think the phone may have "learned" these from me the same way it learns frequently used nonsensical words, or words that aren't friendly enough to be included in a standard suggestions dictionary. Is there a way to edit the automatically generated custom dictionary entries? I think that might temporarily solve the problem, but I don't know how to prevent it from recurring.

I have the exact same annoyance. It's a minor "bug" so I never thought of complaining about but yes it does drive me insane sometimes. The word "you" is the one that annoys the crap out of me the most. I might poke around with some other keyboards

Sadly enough, I really like the standard keyboard. I'll give the one NM recommended a look, but I hate switching keyboards. I'm just now getting used to it after switching from an iPhone.

Edit:

Settings > Language & keyboard > User dictionary

I just went through and removed:
    Its
    So
    Well
    Just
    You
    and a handful of others; since they're already in the real dictionary, they don't need to be in the user dictionary with alternate capitalization.

I have no idea why the phone picked these up, but I'll see if I can't figure that out too.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links