Network icons, turning 3G off, and Google Apps

This is a discussion on Network icons, turning 3G off, and Google Apps within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi, I just got my Nexus One yesterday, and I have a couple of questions. First, is there a manual online anywhere? Second, if I ...

Thread: Network icons, turning 3G off, and Google Apps

Network icons, turning 3G off, and Google Apps

Hi, I just got my Nexus One yesterday, and I have a couple of questions.

First, is there a manual online anywhere?

Second, if I turn my wifi connection on, does that mean that 3G automatically turns off? When I'm at home and playing around with new apps and things like that, I'd rather use my free wifi connection than my carrier's 3G network.

If you scroll over to the right there is a little menu with 5 different icons:
    1. I think it's wifi.
    2. Bluetooth
    3. ?
    4. ?
    5. Brightness

What are 3 and 4?

Lastly, is there a way to put a link/app to my Google Apps email account on my desktop, that is separate from my regular Gmail? I tried adding the account in Settings -> Accounts, but then it made that my Google Apps account my default Gmail account, and I couldn't access my regular Gmail.

Thanks for the help! Loving this thing so far.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Hi, Happy to see another Nexus One owner here! I am sure someone here will help with your questions. I will answer what I know.

1. I just found the manual here. Posted by socal65
    http://static.googleusercontent.com/...-userguide.pdf

2.Yes (anyway, mine does. lol)

3. wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync (I think) and brightness.

4.I don't know.
    Enjoy and I hope I have helped a little.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Google Nexus One Froyo
    Rooted ~ CM 6RC3~ CM6.0 N1~ Nightlies ~
    Was Using~ eViL's NXSense v.1.21.3 - 720p, BT, FM, Hotspots, Kitchen Sink
    Was Using~ MicroMod's 2.12 Desire SuperHybrid
    Was Using~ MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed
    Was Using ~ BlackDroid's Nexus One - UD 3.1.0Rom
    Was Using ~ CM 7 Gingerbread Green or Blue ExtremeMod ROM
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

If your wifi is on most, if not all, of your data should be going through wifi. I don't think it turns off 3G completely, it just doesn't use it but I might be wrong on that one.
    3 and 4 are GPS and sync respectively.

You can use your "email" application for your other email. Look in the applications menu. There is email and gmail. They're pretty much the same thing except you can use email for anything else.

Thanks, both of you. What does sync mean exactly?

I have tried adding my other email in the Email app, but I get an error saying it cannot connect to the server. My guess is that the POP3 server or Port is incorrect. Where would I find these in my Google Apps email account?

For POP3 Server, by default it just put "mydomain.com"
    and the default port was 110.

try these links
    Admin settings for IMAP and POP access - Google Apps Help
    and
    Configuring POP and IMAP Access - Gmail Help

Sync is when your phone is syncing things like your contacts and settings between your phone and google servers. That way if one thing changes on your phone, it changes on your google account too and vice versa. It's also kind of a back up in case you reset your phone or something. You wouldn't have to worry about your contacts and stuff.

I have the WIFI set to on all the time so when i am out it connects through 3.5G and in the house it auto connects to WIFI.

I use my nexus for navigation on my motorcycle all the time and it is parked up in my back yard, sometimes when i have gotten back after a ride i will see it kill the current connection to Maps and enable the WIFI connection but the phone will not re establish a date connection whilst WIFI is connected, if i leave the house with WIFI on and an app using it when i get out of range the app will complain it has not connection because the WIFI is gone and the data connection has to re establish.

So i reckon that the nexus will not even establish a data connection while using WIFI.
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Thank you everyone for the help. I got my Google Apps account to work by simply adding it to my Gmail app. You can switch between accounts by pressing the menu button.

Just hold it and move it to the screen you want it on. You probably want to move it to the right side and get to the next screen. I hope I said that where you will understand what I mean. LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Google Nexus One Froyo
    Rooted ~ CM 6RC3~ CM6.0 N1~ Nightlies ~
    Was Using~ eViL's NXSense v.1.21.3 - 720p, BT, FM, Hotspots, Kitchen Sink
    Was Using~ MicroMod's 2.12 Desire SuperHybrid
    Was Using~ MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed
    Was Using ~ BlackDroid's Nexus One - UD 3.1.0Rom
    Was Using ~ CM 7 Gingerbread Green or Blue ExtremeMod ROM
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

Ah I just figured it out, I just held it and the trash can appeared at the bottom, so I dragged it into there and it's gone.

Thanks!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links