Rules based profiling ?

This is a discussion on Rules based profiling ? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Is there an app/widget that lets you choose which events/situations can be used to select different profiles, and in those profiles choose brightness, volume, sleep ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules based profiling ?

Rules based profiling ?

Is there an app/widget that lets you choose which events/situations can be used to select different profiles, and in those profiles choose brightness, volume, sleep timer, wifi enabled, airplane mode enabled etc.

I just got my USB dock/cradle today and I expected that as it sits in there, it would never sleep. Not true. I chose the A/C powered profile (from an app/widget that calls itself "Power Manager TRIAL v1.6.3". I don't know if this was pre-installed or if I downloaded it on my first mad shopping trip in the android market where I got 20+ apps in one go. Anyway, in it's A/C profile I expected brightness and awakeness full time. Instead, it goes to sleep after a while and after an even longer while it disconnects from the wifi (making the ebuddy IM somewhat useless).

I'd like to somehow choose the inputs and the outputs and create my perfect set of profiles (e.g. if a/c powered in the dock, be in full brightness and never sleep or go locked).

I saw in another thread someone mentioned an app called "Settings Profile" but I found no exact match for that. Several that deal with settings and profiles but none that sound as extensive as what I think I want.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

nevermind :P

Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post
    In theory this app can do almost everything I want, but it only works about 20% of the time...at best.
    Like to know if it actually changes profiles and such under the rules for you guys (past the first 2-3 days..lol)
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post
    In theory this app can do almost everything I want, but it only works about 20% of the time...at best.
    Like to know if it actually changes profiles and such under the rules for you guys (past the first 2-3 days..lol)
    I see what you mean, it's a bit flaky. The rules I setup are completely ignored (if docking run my docked profile, or if undocking run my undocked profile, or if charging run my charging profile).

I gave up on the rules and just tried my own pre-built profiles. One said go into airplane mode except wifi stays enabled. That doesn't work either, it seems like it goes through the actions in sequence and setting the chosen wifi status happens BEFORE the action that switches airplane mode on.

Great idea, shame it's flaky.

I'm about to delete all the profiles I created and then make some new ones that affect only the screen timeout. Hopefully they'll leave the airplane mode and wifi alone and I'll at least get the benefit of being able to be docked in airplane+wifi with no screen timeout.

Well, I use Quick Profiles. It works perfectly well but it is somewhat limited in that there's no automatic locale or situational switching of profiles. You have to create a your own profiles, then switch to them manually.

Well, I use Quick Profiles. It works perfectly well but it is somewhat limited in that there's no automatic locale or situational switching of profiles. You have to create a your own profiles, then switch to them manually.
    Well, I'd settled for using Setting Profiles Lite app and accepted that I'd only use it for brightness and screen timeout because it was dumb when it came to airplane mode and wifi, but now I've tried Quick Profiles I'm very happy. It does exactly what I want. I've already uninstalled the other one and am a full convert to quick profiles.

I now have 4 icons on my widget homescreen, one for Car, Phone, Home and Docked. The only things I need to change are screen timeout, screen brightness, airplane mode and wifi mode. I gotta go give it 5 stars :D

Can't leave this thread with the impression that Quick Profiles left me happy. It's also proving to be unreliable. I have a profile I call Dock which sets the screen timeout to "Never Timeout". More than half the times I set it to Dock and put it in my dock, I notice that after some time the screen's gone blank. I wake it up and select dock profile again and it's 50/50 whether I have to do it again.

I wouldn't mind if it was only the screen that went blank, but when it's in blank mode, the wifi shuts off (and disconnects ebuddy).

Try Toggle Settings?

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Try Toggle Settings?
    I just looked that up and saw quite a few comments complaining about the ads and some mentioned to use "Quick Settings" instead (by Sergey Shafarenka). That is perfect. It's one shortcut, to one screen which displays the key things you're interested in controlling and shows their current state and makes them toggleable. Probably just like Toggle Settings, but this one is customisable and i like it.

So no "profiles" or "rules" for me, just one screen with all the config items visible. That'll do for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links