Turning your phone off

This is a discussion on Turning your phone off within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; How many of you turn your phones off at night AT&T says you should power your phone down once a week to get carrier updates ...

Thread: Turning your phone off

Turning your phone off

How many of you turn your phones off at night AT&T says you should
    power your phone down once a week to get carrier updates i never
    turn mine off just asking

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I never turn mine off at night. Only time I turn it off is if there is a need for it or if the phone locks up or something, which doesn't happen often.
    Where does AT&T say this?

Re: Turning your phone off

I turn my Nexus One off once or twice a week. I never knew the carrier recommended it, I just do it because I feel it's necessary to turn electronics off whenever possible, specially at night.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ardynine View Post
    I never turn mine off at night. Only time I turn it off is if there is a need for it or if the phone locks up or something, which doesn't happen often.
    Where does AT&T say this?
    I have been with AT&T since 2003 one of the sales people at the store
    tole me to turn it off at least once a week for a few min. to let the phone
    update but that was before 3g so i was just asking Thanks

turning off my Nexus One

I am on T-Mobile and I turn mine off every couple of days to give it a fresh boot. My nephew said they should be turned off for that.
    They are small computers after all and I re-boot my desktop at the office every couple of days and my home computer is turned off when not being used.

I've heard that also from wireless carriers. The phone also purges caches when turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    I am on T-Mobile and I turn mine off every couple of days to give it a fresh boot. My nephew said they should be turned off for that.
    They are small computers after all and I re-boot my desktop at the office every couple of days and my home computer is turned off when not being used.
    Computers don't generally need to be turned off to make them "fresh". This is a mis-conception common among Windows users. Rebooting is rarely necessary with a good operating system such as Linux or OS X. So I wouldn't apply this rule to android devices. My personal computers and Nexus One stay up for weeks at a time without issues.

Of course there are always times when a reboot might be necessary, e.g., if your carrier requires it, system crashes, etc.

Bluetooth stacks can corrupt if left on for days on end. This is the #1 reason for phones not connecting to bluetooth hands free kits in cars.

Bounce the phone (off and on, not literally bounce off the floor!) and 99.9% of connectivity problems are corrected. Some phones even flash up a message if they can't create a bluetooth connection telling you to try restarting the phone.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links