File editing without rooting ; Downloadable GPS maps

This is a discussion on File editing without rooting ; Downloadable GPS maps within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi! I just purchased an N1 for my bday. I'm setting it up for WiFi only. Two questions: - My workplace doesn't yet seemlessly support ...

Thread: File editing without rooting ; Downloadable GPS maps

File editing without rooting ; Downloadable GPS maps

Hi! I just purchased an N1 for my bday. I'm setting it up for WiFi only. Two questions:

- My workplace doesn't yet seemlessly support the N1. To get it on an AP, one user instructed to add an SSID entry to /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf.

network={
    ssid="workSSID"
    identify="..."
    password="..."
    }

To accomplish this, I have to root the device. Is there any way to add this AP entry to the file above without having to root my device?

GMaps appears to require a data connection to continuously update the GPS maps when travelling. I'd like to find downloadable maps and have the GPS track against those. When I search Android Market for CoPilot, nothing comes up.

Is CoPilot available for the N1 and will it do what I'm looking for? Is there another/better option?

Thank you!

-- Sam

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by spedroza View Post
    Hi! I just purchased an N1 for my bday. I'm setting it up for WiFi only. Two questions:

- My workplace doesn't yet seemlessly support the N1. To get it on an AP, one user instructed to add an SSID entry to /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf.

network={
    ssid="workSSID"
    identify="..."
    password="..."
    }

To accomplish this, I have to root the device. Is there any way to add this AP entry to the file above without having to root my device?

GMaps appears to require a data connection to continuously update the GPS maps when travelling. I'd like to find downloadable maps and have the GPS track against those. When I search Android Market for CoPilot, nothing comes up.

Is CoPilot available for the N1 and will it do what I'm looking for? Is there another/better option?

Thank you!

-- Sam
    You don't need to root it to connect it to a network (which almost certainly does seamlessly support your N1). I think what you mean is that you aren't able to just connect to it automatically without any effort. That's not something unique to your N1, it would happen with *any* wireless device. That's because of the wifi security your work's network guys will have setup. They'll at least have setup either WEP or WPA security (which requires you to know the key info) and possibly even "Access Control" which requires you to provide them with your Mac address so they can allow you to access the network. All of this would be just the same if it was a new laptop you were bringing in to work.

I think you want to look into getting a 2G or 3G wireless data contract though. They're surprisingly cheap (mine is only $11 a month for a 3G flat-rate with no minimum contract length, I can quit at any time).

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    I think you want to look into getting a 2G or 3G wireless data contract though. They're surprisingly cheap (mine is only $11 a month for a 3G flat-rate with no minimum contract length, I can quit at any time).
    Obviously, you are a spoiled European, which I was too until I moved to Canada :D In some countries, there is no such thing as "CHEAP", be prepared to cough up at least $70 per month and be nickeled and dimed on top of that for extra stuff you really need, plus additional tax, and even then nothing is unlimited or even fair use policy. Oh and did I mention three year contracts?

As for connecting to a network, yes, dd4005 is right, you don't need root access to connect to a network, at least I never heard of that You gave yourself a lovely b/d present, that's for sure :D

Oh, and as for CoPilot not showing up, do you live in a country where only free apps are available? Here is a workaround: insert a sim card (can be expired) from a country that does allow connection to the full Market, and you will be able to purchase CoPilot. I bought it too, it's awesome! After it's downloaded, you can insert your regular sim again, and you'll be able to use it.
    My sigs keep getting

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spedroza View Post

network={
    ssid="workSSID"
    identify="..."
    password="..."
    }

Thank you!

-- Sam
    You don't need to root it to connect it to a network (which almost certainly does seamlessly support your N1). I think what you mean is that you aren't able to just connect to it automatically without any effort. That's not something unique to your N1, it would happen with *any* wireless device. That's because of the wifi security your work's network guys will have setup. They'll at least have setup either WEP or WPA security (which requires you to know the key info) and possibly even "Access Control" which requires you to provide them with your Mac address so they can allow you to access the network. All of this would be just the same if it was a new laptop you were bringing in to work.

In this case the N1 is NOT like any other wireless device which allows you advanced wireless configuration.

I think the WiFi network you're trying to connect to is hidden? The SSID is'nt being broadcast? If that's what you're talking about, look for "HiddenSSID Enabler" in the market[EDIT: I haven't actually tried the app, just found some info about it]. I'm not sure why android doesn't have support for manual SSID entry.

When you're at work can you scan for wireless networks and find the SSID?

mah
    Quote Originally Posted by number 9 View Post
    I think the WiFi network you're trying to connect to is hidden? The SSID is'nt being broadcast? If that's what you're talking about, look for "HiddenSSID Enabler" in the market[EDIT: I haven't actually tried the app, just found some info about it]. I'm not sure why android doesn't have support for manual SSID entry.

When you're at work can you scan for wireless networks and find the SSID?
    If the issue is that your SSID is hidden (a lame attempt at security which doesn't work against those looking to break it)... you might be able to have your IT staff temporarily make it visible -- just long enough for you to create a profile on the phone. I don't know for certain, I've never tried this.

One of the apps I have installed is called WiFi Analyzer. It's been very helpful in locating WiFi connections.

>I think what you mean is that you aren't able to just connect to it automatically...
    You are correct. A poor word choice on my part.

>a lovely b/d present,
    Agreed! I'm quite happy with it. The wife always complains about never knowing what to get for me and not having a clue when buying electronics. So I just said "Fine! I'll buy one of these."

So to further clarify, as dd4005 noted, I cannot add it to my work WIFI through the normal interface (that I know of). One other employee was able to access by adding the following information into the file mentioned above:

network={
    ssid="<WORK SSID WHICH IS DETECTED>"
    key_mgmt=<ENCRYPTION METHOD>
    eap=<ENCRYPTION METHOD>
    phase2="auth=<AUTH METHOD>"
    identity="<user-id>"
    password="<password>"
    priority=63
    }

I know all of the data above (between the <>) to be added. I just cannot find a way to enter this information via the device GUI. When I scan for networks in Wi-Fi settings, I only get options to connect, forget, or cancel. Of course it won't simply connect without the authentication, encryption, and user/pass information.

To get to the file /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf requires root access (AFAIK).

Is there an App available that would allow me to preconfigure this entry into the file above? Or is there some other way to accomplish this?

Thanks folks! I appreciate you taking the time to post and offer help!

-- Sam

Answers to my original queries

The N1 connects to my work wireless just fine and without rooting. Apparently there is a configuration screen when first attempting to attach to an SSID. When the SSID is in a "remembered" state, selecting that SSID results in getting only the following options: connect, forget, cancel. By selecting "forget," the device then defaulted back to the configuration options for the SSID and I was able to set encryption, authentication, userid, and password.

When an SSID is in the "remembered" state, there really should be an EDIT option along with connect, forget, and cancel.

Copilot: There is no SIM in my device. I suspect this is why CoPilot does not show up when I search the market. I contacted CoPilot directly and was able to get CoPilot Live 8 installed as follows:

1. Purchased the (Download) option from their website for $30. Yes it says for Windows Mobile only but it works on Android just the same.
    2. Sent proof of my purchase to the help rep that was instructing me.
    3. They sent me an Android installer and instructions to transfer everything to the N1.

Works like a charm and I'm pleased with their product and support. Now I have a functional GPS with no telecom data plan and when out of WIFI range.

Their maps do appear to be missing some neighborhoods. They do have a program where you can submit this information so they can review, confirm, and update their maps. ALK Digital Maps™: ALK Technologies

Copilot supports KML imports so hopefully I can load some of my cycling routes into the phone!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links