Control what's in the Gallery view?

This is a discussion on Control what's in the Gallery view? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I added a few dozen thumbnail images that I stored in a folder called "Contacts Thumbails" and each of them is attached to one of ...

Thread: Control what's in the Gallery view?

Control what's in the Gallery view?

I added a few dozen thumbnail images that I stored in a folder called "Contacts Thumbails" and each of them is attached to one of my phone contacts. These are appearing in the Gallery though. Is there any way of marking a folder as "don't show in gallery" ? I tried long-touching the folder name but instead of giving me preferences (like a windows right-click would) it just adds a small green and white check/tick on the folder. Clicking "More" doesn't help, it just gives details on the folder.

Ideally I'd just like the photos I've taken with the internal camera to show in the gallery (and ones I upload to it deliberately for appearing in the gallery). Presumably there are folders with images in them on the phone somewhere (icons for example) that aren't appearing in the gallery.

When copying the images, I USB'ed, mounted, created a new folder on the SD card called "My Pictures" and under that one called "Contacts Thumbnails".

It's not causing me sleepless nights naturally, but doesn't hurt to ask about these very minor things does it

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You can either add a "." to the front of your folder with the contacts pictures in it, or add a ".nomedia" empty file inside the folder. Either will prevent the gallery from seeing the pictures.

I've been using the .nomedia approach successfully on my N1.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    You can either add a "." to the front of your folder with the contacts pictures in it, or add a ".nomedia" empty file inside the folder. Either will prevent the gallery from seeing the pictures.

I've been using the .nomedia approach successfully on my N1.
    Thanks Maris, that's incredibly easy

edit: not quite as easy as I thought. I realised that if I renamed my contact thumbnails folder then all my contacts would suddenly be associated with an image in a folder that's not there anymore (unless the contacts copied that image from the folder and embedded it into the contacts, which I doubt). Creating a .nomedia file wasn't as easy as I expected. Windows XP explorer wouldn't allow a filename of just nomedia so I had to go into a cmd (dos) window and rename it with ren media .nomedia

Hopefully this helps someone when they're searching for this topic and encounters the same issues.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links