GPS icon? Stand alone?

This is a discussion on GPS icon? Stand alone? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I just got the phone and realize there really is alot to this phone. On the last screen on the phone I noticed on top ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS icon? Stand alone?

GPS icon? Stand alone?

I just got the phone and realize there really is alot to this phone. On the last screen on the phone I noticed on top of the screen the following:

wifi, bluetooth, ?? GPS?, Refresh, and Brightness.

If i activate the GPS? What does that do? Does it use 3G or should this device work as GPS without the 3G?

Thanks

Thus when I am in NYC or some other city I can use this as a standalone GPS and turn the roaming off?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    That's the power management widget. It allows you to turn off and on certain functions of the phone without having to go thru the systems.

wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, brightness

The GPS button is only to turn the GPS on and off. It doesn't work as a stand alone as it's a A-GPS.
    Androidfied.

Thanks for clarifying. I was getting different responses when I googled GPS. Some said it could be used as a stand alone.

Sorry, I think I might have misinformed you. I googled the question and it says the Snapdragon has AGPS and Standalone GPS available for the phone.

Yes. The snapdragon processor has standalone GPS built into the chip.

qctconnect.com/products/snapdragon.html

Built-in seventh-generation gpsOneŽ engine with Standalone-GPS and Assisted-GPS modes

I was not aware of this.....
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Sorry, I think I might have misinformed you. I googled the question and it says the Snapdragon has AGPS and Standalone GPS available for the phone.

Built-in seventh-generation gpsOneŽ engine with Standalone-GPS and Assisted-GPS modes

Thanks so I can turn off roaming and GPS should work technically.

Quote Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post

Well the GPS on the power management is still to turn the GPS on or off, but from what I'm reading and bout to test my self if that GPS will work with or without a sim card and with or without wifi. So let's see......

Well it appears the GPS does work as a stand alone, but you would need an app that has preloaded maps. The problem with google maps is that it uses the a connection for the maps to load. So if there's no wifi or Sim, no maps can update. I zoomed into my street took a walk and behold it really did work stand alone.

Woo Hoo.
    Androidfied.

Well the GPS on the power management is still to turn the GPS on or off, but from what I'm reading and bout to test my self if that GPS will work with or without a sim card and with or without wifi. So let's see......

Well it appears the GPS does work as a stand alone, but you would need an app that has preloaded maps. The problem with google maps is that it uses the a connection for the maps to load. So if there's no wifi or Sim, no maps can update. I zoomed into my street took a walk and behold it really did work stand alone.

Woo Hoo.

Interesting. So I am assuming you have some preloaded map app? Are these available in the market? Then when I travel I could just leave the SIM at home and GPS should work.

Woo Hoo.

Interesting. So I am assuming you have some preloaded map app? Are these available in the market? Then when I travel I could just leave the SIM at home and GPS should work.
    No I didn't have any preload map. I just zoomed in my street with Google Maps and walked down the street and sure enough my icon moved with me as I walked. I'm not sure of the programs that preloaded maps. I will have to do some research on this to see if there are any maps with pre loaded. I would imagine it should save the maps on the SD card. But hypothetically, yes you could.
    Androidfied.

Fun lol, thanks for testing it out. From what I am reading google maps needs 3G for actual directions. I am not sure if this is true or not. If so, not much point in the standalone GPS.

Fun lol, thanks for testing it out. From what I am reading google maps needs 3G for actual directions. I am not sure if this is true or not. If so, not much point in the standalone GPS.

Google maps need the 3g to update the map as you move. I was using Google map, the GPS locator only needs a map for you to point you in the right direction. So basically google map and navigator is AGPS as it needs the connection for the maps.
    Androidfied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links