Google Voice: Does it count against minutes?

This is a discussion on Google Voice: Does it count against minutes? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Wow, you people can be confusing. GV is not VOIP GV does use data for SMS and to initiate a phone call GV will use ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice: Does it count against minutes?

Wow, you people can be confusing.

GV is not VOIP
    GV does use data for SMS and to initiate a phone call
    GV will use your cellular minutes making calls
    GV will NOT use your messages for SMS.

SMS through GV will use all data and only data unless you have your SMS messages forwarded to your Cell. You can change this setting from the settings page on google.com/voice webpage.

GV will use data to contact the GV servers to initiate a phone call. Google servers will then start the phone call on your phone dialing through GV servers. You can save a lot of money on calls if you still have TMO myfavs or ATT a list. You can set up your GV account so all GV calls use your GV number for incoming calls. Add your GV number as one of your fav #’s or a list and all those calls will be free.

Quote Originally Posted by Concept View Post

SMS through GV will use all data and only data unless you have your SMS messages forwarded to your Cell. You can change this setting from the settings page on google.com/voice webpage.
    The latest GV app on Android disables SMS forwarding for that phone automatically now. You don't have to go to the website to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by bozzy View Post

The latest GV app on Android disables SMS forwarding for that phone automatically now. You don't have to go to the website to disable it.
    I heard that was the case but I was getting double messaged up until a few days ago when I changed the settings online.

Apology accepted.

And I know the N1 will support AT&T 3G...as long as you buy the right one. :-)

GV is not VOIP

GV will use data to contact the GV servers to initiate a phone call. Google servers will then start the phone call on your phone dialing through GV servers. You can save a lot of money on calls if you still have TMO myfavs or ATT a list. You can set up your GV account so all GV calls use your GV number for incoming calls. Add your GV number as one of your fav #ís or a list and all those calls will be free.

I'm not sure how you have your GV set up, but I don't use data as I have it blocked on my account.

I have use GV since Oct 2009 and never used data at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bozzy View Post

I heard that was the case but I was getting double messaged up until a few days ago when I changed the settings online.
    You may not be using the latest version. AFAIK, if you don't manually install GV over the stock version, you will not get update notifications in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    Wow...gv is not voip. Google google voice and you'll have your answers.

Don't answer questions here when you don't know what you're taking about.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:rofl3:
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

GV is not VOIP

GV will use data to contact the GV servers to initiate a phone call. Google servers will then start the phone call on your phone dialing through GV servers. You can save a lot of money on calls if you still have TMO myfavs or ATT a list. You can set up your GV account so all GV calls use your GV number for incoming calls. Add your GV number as one of your fav #’s or a list and all those calls will be free.

For a second I thought you ve answered the question that brought me to this thread, but I still got the Q.

Does SMS from /to my GV count against my plan? if not, can I then use GV SMS functionality without career SMS plan?

Quote Originally Posted by orjense View Post

GV is not VOIP

GV will use data to contact the GV servers to initiate a phone call. Google servers will then start the phone call on your phone dialing through GV servers. You can save a lot of money on calls if you still have TMO myfavs or ATT a list. You can set up your GV account so all GV calls use your GV number for incoming calls. Add your GV number as one of your fav #ís or a list and all those calls will be free.

For a second I thought you ve answered the question that brought me to this thread, but I still got the Q.

Does SMS from /to my GV count against my plan? if not, can I then use GV SMS functionality without career SMS plan?
    IIRC, GV uses data for SMS, so if your plan is NOT unlimited, it will count against your data allotment (data plan), not your calling minutes (calling plan).

You have the answers right here on this page.

No and Yes, for short.

Just read the posts.
    Better yet, just as someone else said, google google voice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links