Poll: Are you rooted??

This is a discussion on Poll: Are you rooted?? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by djstaid to me it seems like the phone is 95% stable, fast enough and provides a lot of functionality without possibly jacking ...

View Poll Results: Pls answer EVO tethering Qs....

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • WiFi is best method of tethering an EVO.

1 11.11%
  • Bluetooth is best method of tethering an EVO.

1 11.11%
  • USB is best method of tethering an EVO.

7 77.78%
  • It is best to Root EVO for tethering.

2 22.22%
  • It is NOT best to Root EVO for tethering.

0 0%
  • Any other issue(s)/concern(s) to address first?

0 0%
  • Have any words of wisdom on this subject? Please post here.

0 0%
  • Other comments on tethering the EVO.

0 0%
  • Other Observations on tethering the EVO.

0 0%
  • Have any good, bad or horror tethering EVO stories? Please post here.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Are you rooted??

Quote Originally Posted by djstaid View Post
    to me it seems like the phone is 95% stable, fast enough and provides a lot of functionality without possibly jacking up the software.

It seems like by modding your phone, you are asking for trouble.
    Interestingly, a common misconception of non-rooters is that rooting will somehow render the phone less stable. While that may be so with ROMs that are still in alpha phase, if you play it safe and stick with for example CyanogenMod (like me), you will find your phone is actually MORE stable than ever. Instead of 95% stable as you mentioned, all of a sudden it will be 99.99% stable.

I have not had a spontaneous reboot ever since I installed CM, and even most apps seem a lot more stable.

This is not a sermon to go ahead and root, but more to take away the idea that stock ROM is somehow safer
    My sigs keep getting

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
    I'm with Vandam al the way :D However, I have always said rooting is not for everybody, if you are happy with the way it is, don't ever let yourself be convinced by the root converts, we are a weird bunch anyway :rofl3:
    I'm normally on your side of the fence. I've hacked my TiVo, hacked the OS on some computers back in the 80s when I was a kid, all kinds of things. Just haven't YET found the convincing reason to want to hack this bundle of joy. Did I mention how much I love this phone? It's just awesomeness personified. Ok, maybe I'd get the same feeling from any android 2+ phone, this is the only one I've got though.

I can see myself keeping this for easily 3 years. That's how long I kept my Nokia N95 and still keep it around as my backup.

Another note to add to the non-rooted guys, you can root and use the stock ROM. You lose no features or stability but you can now use those market programs that require root access. You don't have to install a custom ROM once you root.

Quote Originally Posted by xkillerbx View Post
    Another note to add to the non-rooted guys, you can root and use the stock ROM. You lose no features or stability but you can now use those market programs that require root access. You don't have to install a custom ROM once you root.
    Thanks xkillerbx, i actually didnt know that, it was one of my primary concerns. For some odd reason i have this understanding that the devs just modify the sdk's in order to make it like the stock rom (+adding other features). Now that I know, I can keep my stock rom i am more interested in it, but i would lose the ability to update directly when google releases an update though.

Quote Originally Posted by mythamp View Post
    Thanks xkillerbx, i actually didnt know that, it was one of my primary concerns. For some odd reason i have this understanding that the devs just modify the sdk's in order to make it like the stock rom (+adding other features). Now that I know, I can keep my stock rom i am more interested in it, but i would lose the ability to update directly when google releases an update though.
    You do lose OTA updates but they're very easy to do manually

For me the only reason I would root my N1 it would be to allow Mobile Defence to turn my GPS on in case I lose my Nexus One and give me 100% accuracy on the location of my N1.

Mobile Defence

Official Site
    Go To Market from N1

FIND A LOST PHONE
    Mobile Defense displays real-time location information of a lost or stolen phone via a secure website using Google Maps

PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY
    Remotely lock, backup, and wipe your android device from a secure website.

Root Users
    Install as system app to auto-enable GPS & prevent uninstall.

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandam500 View Post
    I am rooted and will never look back. Like some of you said, I also thought that rooting would not unlock many features, boy was I wrong. Here is why:

- Custom Roms. I can now install any rom that has been ported to the Nexus One. I am currently using the Cyanogen mod which is basically the stock Android 2.1 that comes with the Nexus but it has so many awesome tweaks that is surpasses it in every aspect.

When installing the Cyanogen Rom you get many new stuff, these are some of my favorite ones

1) Himem tweak- Allows you to use up all the ram avaible. Before upon boot up I never had more then 100 MB free of ram. Now I have 250MB available at boot up and if I close all those running apps, I am at 285. Because of this you can have many more apps running in the background without slowing down your N1.

2) Trackball wake up- I hated having to hit the sleep/power button in order to wake up the screen to unlock it. Now I just hit the trackball and the screen wakes up. Very neat and useful.

3) Orientation- Rotate your N1 in any position while using a app and it will rotate itself to it. Awesome.

-Customize trackball notification colors. I have it set yellow for a missed call, red for a text message, green for a email, blue for instant messaging,etc. Also soon a pro version will be out which will let you set any color notification for any app, so this way the developers that haven't added it to their apps don't even have to.

-Apps2sd. Lets you install your apps onto your SD card. I ran out of memory after just 4 days of installing apps and what not. Thank god for this awesome tweak. Now I can basically install all the apps I want without running out of space.

-Nexus Torch. Allows you to leave your LED flash on. Perfect for use as a flashlight or while recording a video.

-SetCPU. This awesome program (In the market but doesn't work without rooting) allows you to control the speed of the Nexus's processor at any given time. It has improved my battery life by at least 2 hours. I have it set so my processor speed goes down to 384 when I have the phone locked. When I unlock it, then it goes back to 1.13 ghz (Yes, I also have it overclocked )

These are IMO the best reasons to root but there are many many more that I haven't mentioned.
    Still not convinced. The custom roms doesn't sound useful.

Himem tweak - don't need it, I don't need available memory to go from 100MB to 250MB (as long as I've got some free it's fine).

Trackball wakeup sounds like the exact opposite of what I want. I don't want my phone waking up in my pocket all time because of the trackball.

Orientation - already works how I want it to. It rotates when I want, and doesn't rotate when I don't want it to.

Trackball notification colors - slightly useful but not worth any amount of effort just for that.

Apps2SD - I doubt I'll ever need that.

Nexus torch - don't need a torch.

Setcpu - sounds good but I still haven't ran out of battery yet (and have spares anyway).

If they're the best reasons for rooting I'm definitely not going there :-)
    you are right those are all very insignificant and irrelevant reasons to root your phone...im gonna wait until rooting gives me a faster processor a bigger screen, better camera, surround sound, hd, blueray then i think it just might be worth it cuz otherwise i would never ever take the huuuuuge risk of lets see...wasting 30 mintues of my precious time to do this
    :nexusx: Nexus One Beta Tester

And to allow me to tether my internet.

Note: I haven't rooted my Nexus One and don't plan on doing it any time soon.

Another reason to root would be GIF images now working in web browser. All the smilies & Sophia's sig now works lol. Guys I can understand how skeptical you are about rooting, but remember us rooted guys were all saying before what you're saying now
    , literally lol. But the truth is rooting just takes the phone experience to another level. Its almost like buying a newer, faster, more stable & smarter phone.

I sometimes see comments people like me, subywill, neonmonster made about rooting (before we rooted) about rooting & I just lmao. We really didn't know any better. But the poll speaks for itself no one has rooted & regretted it.

Re: Poll: Are you rooted??

I dont think I will ever root my Nexus One. I am sure Google's official future updates will make it better than any ROMs out there....hopefully

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links